Sign in to follow this  
Redddevil911

USAF A/C

I was on my way home from St. Louis this weekend after visiting family. Me the wife and kids are just hailing A$$ on Interstate 64E right by Scott AFB in southwest IL, when my wife points out of the car window and say what kind of plane is that? So I take my eye's of the highway for a look and making a fast banking turn to the northwest away from the AFB is what i believe to be a F-5 Freedom Fighter! So my question to you guys is this what was a possible F-5 doing over Scott AFB, I have lived and work in that part of the country for years, had a friend station at Scott for 6 years with his SF squardron and i have never heard of fighter A/C of any kind being out at Scott. It was amazing to see and i did not mind getting slapped by my wife for weaving on the highway! LOL :biggrin:

T-38 Talon maybe?

Could have been, the two do look a like, but still whats it doing out at Scott, as far as I know Scott AFB is with out a fighter wing! From what i can find these are all the units at Scott AFB right now!

375th Airlift Wing

375th Operations Group

375th Medical Group

375th Mission Support Group

Edited by Redddevil911

The navy and USMC still fly the F-5 in the adversary role. Fact is, they just took several X-Swiss F-5 in and will put them to use in that role. They go cross country now and then. More than likely that was one of them.

The navy and USMC still fly the F-5 in the adversary role. Fact is, they just took several X-Swiss F-5 in and will put them to use in that role. They go cross country now and then. More than likely that was one of them.

Who Knows! It was just great to see, I have never seen one in the air! Only at air shows park on the flight line and whats the fun in that!

What was it's coloration...that will tell you if it was an F-5 or T-38 from a distance?

FastCargo

What was it's coloration...that will tell you if it was an F-5 or T-38 from a distance?

FastCargo

It was USAF gray!

Yeah i'll go with the transiting A/C idea i get a lot of that from Buckley

Maybe I need to be more specific...was it a two tone grey like this:

sequintouchandgoak1.jpg

Or a lighter grey like this:

061004-F-0000M-001.jpg

Or something like this:

416128278_8ff958bf2f.jpg

USAF Grey doesn't mean anything...there are several greys out there.

FastCargo

Yes there are, and they're looking to abduct you and conduct anal probes. Damn greys.

Yes there are, and they're looking to abduct you and conduct anal probes. Damn greys.

Maybe I need to be more specific...was it a two tone grey like this:

sequintouchandgoak1.jpg

Or a lighter grey like this:

061004-F-0000M-001.jpg

Or something like this:

416128278_8ff958bf2f.jpg

USAF Grey doesn't mean anything...there are several greys out there.

FastCargo

I want to say it was all one colour, but the 2nd of the two pic's is the best match!

Edited by Redddevil911

Actually, it could have been this one:

Whiteman T-38

The only other T-38s that are similar (besides the IFF birds "MY" on the tail) are Holloman Test:

Hol-at-38b.jpg

The black is actually a dark grey so the contrast isn't as high as the picture makes it to be. At least it USED to be that way not too long ago...

FastCargo

Edited by FastCargo

Too funny. it was way easier when all ATC jets were white, fighter lead-in was two-tone, and the Aggressors were the only really funny painted AT-38s and F-5s

Maybe a slight possibility...it could have been privately owned? There's a guy in Fort Wayne who owns a Canadian F-5 and a T-38. I think the only way you can buy military jets is from other countries...I don't think the US sells them to the public. There aren't a whole lot of F-5s left out there other than aggressors.

Are u sure it isnt that the Schwarz will be with u, lol

I want a Mig, lol, i want that foxbat for sale, lol

It isn't the buying of the plane, its the expense of the MX and insurance. Especially if you maintain 'hot' ejection seats.

It could have been a civilian T-38 at Scott AFB. I think Scott is a joint-use field...civilian side and military side.

FastCargo

Ur right, and i couldnt afford it on military pay, lol

I couldn't afford it on contractor pay, either. :wink:

I don't believe you can have a "hot" ejection seat as a civilian.

Definately agree on the costs of maintainance and flight. The guy here in FWA who owns one of each is Tom Kelly...who used to own Kelly Racing in the IRL. He and his family also own a few car lots and golf courses here. He has two new Gulfstreams and uses a Hummer to tow them. I've never seen the T-38 or F-5 fly...and I work at the airport. I have however seen a privately owned F-100F fly last fall. Man that was awesome to see and hear.

Actually, you can have a hot ejection seat, but it's a major pain in the butt paperwork wise. Talking to the founder of Micron computers, who had a couple of Hawker Hunters, said his were full hot seats, but the FAA has to have paperwork for EVERY ONE of his flights. Not a simple flight plan, but pre-approval to fly with armed ejection seats. Plus, the MX costs to have mil-spec maintenance are REALLY high.

FastCargo