Sign in to follow this  
Baltika

Battle of Britain Campaign Feedback

Interesting work on the searchlights mod - just a shame about the current limitations. But, perhaps for a dedicated nightfighter install, or missionset, it works really well. Good stuff :good:

Hi Baltika, the wheel turns and it all comes back to BoB...

RE: searchlights and limitations. Is there any way to AVOID a completely separate night fighter install by perhaps having two separate <Aircraft> folders?

One a/c folder for BoB as we known it and love, and then another that contains only aircraft that would be involved in night actions. If leaving out aircraft causes the campaign to crash, then perhaps the other non-night aircraft folders, such as Bf109, could be deactivated in some minor way not to crash BoB, such as leaving out an ini, or changing the year of appearance to past BoB, or....

So there would be some duplication between the Aircraft folders themselves (but lots of skins could be left out from the night Aircraft folder and vice versa), but not as much duplication as a completely different install.

When you want to fly bat, simply rename to activate the proper nighttime <Aircraft> folder. Maybe even a night fighter campaign can be specially tooled.

Its just a thought while at work (shhh) so I haven't tried it out. I could be waaay off with this scheme.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Hi Baltika, the wheel turns and it all comes back to BoB...

RE: searchlights and limitations. Is there any way to AVOID a completely separate night fighter install by perhaps having two separate <Aircraft> folders?

One a/c folder for BoB as we known it and love, and then another that contains only aircraft that would be involved in night actions. If leaving out aircraft causes the campaign to crash, then perhaps the other non-night aircraft folders, such as Bf109, could be deactivated in some minor way not to crash BoB, such as leaving out an ini, or changing the year of appearance to past BoB, or....

So there would be some duplication between the Aircraft folders themselves (but lots of skins could be left out from the night Aircraft folder and vice versa), but not as much duplication as a completely different install.

When you want to fly bat, simply rename to activate the proper nighttime <Aircraft> folder. Maybe even a night fighter campaign can be specially tooled.

Its just a thought while at work (shhh) so I haven't tried it out. I could be waaay off with this scheme.

I think there's a little mod utility that switches the user-defined files and date beetween directories on the fly with single click, it was included (or required, don't emember now) with Johan217's Middle East Wars campaigns, so one could have two separate Aircrafts folders (or only _DATA.INI files) and switch them before launching the gam ...er, simulation.

Edit:

B Bandy RFC, this handy tools is called Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME), but the link from readme seems dead for me:

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

Edited by CA_Stary

this handy tools is called Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME), but the link from readme seems dead for me:

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

Yes, that's it, a good suggestion. I used to use it to switch seasonal terrains before TK implemented seasons in the X-pack.

It isn't difficult to set up, but simply pulling out/substituting a night fighter <Aircraft> folder for the stock BoB A/C folder is much simpler IMHO.

I wouldn't want to make it more complicated than that...

Cheers!

Now that we've got Veltro's excellent BR-20, is an Italian BoB campaign a possibility for the next version?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo_Aereo_Italiano

This is the first bit of the article:

Formation

Italian dictator Benito Mussolini insisted on providing an element of the Italian Royal Air Force (Regia Aeronautica) to assist his German ally during the Battle of Britain. On September 10, 1940, under the aegis of the "Milan Air Squadron" (1a Squadra Aerea di Milano), the CAI was formed. Air Marshal (Generale sa) Rino Corso-Fougier was the CAI's Air Officer Commanding.

Aircraft

Fiat CR.42 of 18° Gruppo, 56° Stormo. The Italian CR.42 was a manoeuvrable and fast biplane fighter. Despite its good manoeuvrability and speed (440+ km/h) it was technically outclassed by the faster Hurricane and Spitfire of the British Royal Air Force.

Fiat G.50 of 20° Gruppo, 56° Stormo. The Italian G.50 monoplane fighter was restricted by its range of 400 miles (640 km) (roughly the same as that of Bf 109E models used by the Luftwaffe) and the lack of a radio unit in most participating aircraft.

Fiat BR.20 bombers of 13° and 43° Stormo. The Italian BR.20 was a twin engined bomber capable of carrying 1600 kg (3,528 lb) of bombs.

Supporting aircraft included five CANT Z.1007 used for reconnaissance and Caproni Ca.133 transport planes.

On September 25, the bombers arrived at their airfield in Melsbroek, Belgium. They arrived after an eventful journey which saw several planes force landed or even crashed due to malfunctions and poor weather. The fighter element arrived later at Ursel, also in Belgium.

It looks like we still need the Fiat G.50 to complete the combat aircraft line-up, but perhaps one of the other Italian fighters that are available could act as a stand-in?

Now that we've got Veltro's excellent BR-20, is an Italian BoB campaign a possibility for the next version?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo_Aereo_Italiano

This is the first bit of the article:

Formation

Italian dictator Benito Mussolini insisted on providing an element of the Italian Royal Air Force (Regia Aeronautica) to assist his German ally during the Battle of Britain. On September 10, 1940, under the aegis of the "Milan Air Squadron" (1a Squadra Aerea di Milano), the CAI was formed. Air Marshal (Generale sa) Rino Corso-Fougier was the CAI's Air Officer Commanding.

Aircraft

Fiat CR.42 of 18° Gruppo, 56° Stormo. The Italian CR.42 was a manoeuvrable and fast biplane fighter. Despite its good manoeuvrability and speed (440+ km/h) it was technically outclassed by the faster Hurricane and Spitfire of the British Royal Air Force.

Fiat G.50 of 20° Gruppo, 56° Stormo. The Italian G.50 monoplane fighter was restricted by its range of 400 miles (640 km) (roughly the same as that of Bf 109E models used by the Luftwaffe) and the lack of a radio unit in most participating aircraft.

Fiat BR.20 bombers of 13° and 43° Stormo. The Italian BR.20 was a twin engined bomber capable of carrying 1600 kg (3,528 lb) of bombs.

Supporting aircraft included five CANT Z.1007 used for reconnaissance and Caproni Ca.133 transport planes.

On September 25, the bombers arrived at their airfield in Melsbroek, Belgium. They arrived after an eventful journey which saw several planes force landed or even crashed due to malfunctions and poor weather. The fighter element arrived later at Ursel, also in Belgium.

It looks like we still need the Fiat G.50 to complete the combat aircraft line-up, but perhaps one of the other Italian fighters that are available could act as a stand-in?

keep your eyes open More Regia Aeronautica planes comming in the near future :grin:

PLEASE tell me a CR-42 is the offing!!!

One of the most 'missed' aircraft for MTO and etc .... look real good flying over all them terrains (btw, Ed, look closly at the D.520 hangar screen .... the top pic has 2 attacking BR.20s, with CR.42 going down smoking badly -- you should see the full sized version!!!)

wrench

kevin stein

Oh hell guys!!

Not more great stuff to skin? I've already got skins for the Hawk 75As (France and China), FW 200, SM 79, DH 89 (East Africa), Blackburn Ripon (Finland) and another BR 20 (Japan) on the go. And I planned to do the D.520 (France and Italy), the Catalina (RNZAF)and the Hudson (RNZAF).

Thank goodness for crappy spring weather. But when the weather improves my wife is expecting some DIY from me.

Lloyd :grin:

PLEASE tell me a CR-42 is the offing!!!

wrench

kevin stein

hmmmmmmmmm :grin:

I thought we had a CR.42 already. But no, it's the CR.32 Capun's done.

My bad. Looks like I went off a bit half-cocked on suggesting an Italian BoB campaign just yet.