Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Any Good Anime Lately?

I get a lot of my Manga from Barnes and Noble, usually I'll find something at the local store and then order online for everything that isn't available locally.

Try this link, it should take you to the Manga page....

http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/browse/na...fiction&z=y

This is for another site that carries Manga, I've not tried it but a couple friends have had no problems....

http://www.tfaw.com/

As for anime I either use B&N or go through ADV when they have a sale.

Lots of luck in finding stuff. Right now I'm reading My HIME, not a bad series with lots of volumes to develop the story. The last three series I read were too short, RahXephon (3 volumes), and Tokyo Boys and Girls ( 5 volumes), and Crossroads (7 volumes). And I just got the RahXephon DVD collection today. Have my weekend planned out already. :crazy:

For Manga, I go to my local comic shop or Books & Co or Barnes & Noble. For my anime addiction (:biggrin: ) I go to mainly Best Buy or my local comic shop. My local comic shop has Anime DVDS for cheap from 4.99 to 13.99. Highest I saw there was 60 bucks for box set of Gasarka (misspelled it, its a mecha anime).

Falcon

Edited by FalconCAF

Yea there is a BB near here, but ill be making trips to B&N soon.

Yea Scanlations are a toss-up, but ive seen some popular anime with horrible fansubbing quality, and I mean miss-spelled words, let alone bad grammar.

Which bleach intro? there are like 6 now.

First was by Orange Range, of course most of their music isn't as good as I liked, but the song was good, then I believe it was High and Mighty Color, and then Uverworld, then Beat Crusaders (4th intro, there song "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" was pretty good), then Yui with their song "Rolling Star", and then 6th one ALONEZ by Aqua TIMEZ.

Eurekes op's from the first to the third are my favs, the 4th one was kind of dull.

Check out Air Gear's opening Chain by Back-on, the way the sound is mixed with different styles make it quite good. Their other music is quite good as well.

Yea there is a BB near here, but ill be making trips to B&N soon.

Yea Scanlations are a toss-up, but ive seen some popular anime with horrible fansubbing quality, and I mean miss-spelled words, let alone bad grammar.

Which bleach intro? there are like 6 now.

First was by Orange Range, of course most of their music isn't as good as I liked, but the song was good, then I believe it was High and Mighty Color, and then Uverworld, then Beat Crusaders (4th intro, there song "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" was pretty good), then Yui with their song "Rolling Star", and then 6th one ALONEZ by Aqua TIMEZ.

Eurekes op's from the first to the third are my favs, the 4th one was kind of dull.

Check out Air Gear's opening Chain by Back-on, the way the sound is mixed with different styles make it quite good. Their other music is quite good as well.

Orange Range's song. I really like the sound they have. Blood Plus's intro kicks butt too.

Falcon

Yea, they are pretty good. I'd say check out Code Geass's intro by FLOW and also Murder Princess's intro by Back-ON.. they are pretty good as well.

Yea, they are pretty good. I'd say check out Code Geass's intro by FLOW and also Murder Princess's intro by Back-ON.. they are pretty good as well.

Last Exile's intro was pretty good too. The anime itself is pretty good too.

Falcon

Okay, it's been awhile since anyone posted on their Anime so here's my latest.

Elfin Lied , Complete collection. Haven't finished yet so far it's serious on a lot of levels, from the blood and gore killings by Lucy to the reason for Maya's running away from home ( hint, new step-father) This is a very strong series, not for the faint of heart or easily offended. I don't say that lightly either this is one that may never make it to a programming block like Adult Swim because of the amount of cutting to be done to make it palpable to American audiences. Heres a good review of it so you'll know what your getting into.

http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=770

To finish of RahXephon I ordered the movie version of the series. This focuses more on Ayato and Harreka and has a completely different end than the TV series. If you've seen the series this kind of answers questions about their relationship but it's not going to clear up much of anything else. While it's a clearly different show, this is what Neon Genesis could have been. It has the same archetype characters but while Shinji is a angst ridden kid who doesn't want to fight , Ayato willingly pilots the RahXephon because he has a small understanding of what is at stake.

To finish this off, I also bought the complete collection of Full Metal Panic. Not much needs to be said about this set, just that I now have it on disc and not on a Tivo hard drive. The first volume of the novels that FMP was based on also came out last month and it did answer some questions regarding Souske.

Things to watch on Anime on Demand if you have it:

Air TV

Red Garden

Xenosaga

Godanar

Innocent Venus

Anybody watch or see anything different?

I've been watching the Armitage III animes. I have watched 2 versions of Poly Matrix movie. The Japanese version is ALOT different than the American version (a lot of added scenes and hacked dailogue). The second movie (spoiler alert!) where Artimage has a kid. I also am watching a classic. BubbleGum Crash. It's a second series of BubbleGum Crisis' Sabre Knights. I recommend BubbleGum Crisis first before you see BGCrash.

Yeah ELFIEN LIED is very deep anime. I really like the writing and yeah its very disturbing, more so than GG. Red Garden hooked me with its very interesting look. I only seen the first episode though. I finally got to see Xenosaga anime, from the 2 episodes I've seen, I like it. Innocent Venus hooked me from the first episode too. Good thriller. Godanar, I'm still undecided on that one.

Falcon

Elfien Lied is very grusome and I didnt finish the series for some odd reason. But the Animes I thought were enjoyable were AREA 88, Onegai Teacher, Kannazuki No Miko(Have it, love it, and will never sell it! Im a Shoujo-Ai fan), Akira(Have it and love it), X series (pretty good series with an interesting storyline), Intial D(I love Drifting!!!), HellSing (awesome series!), Blood+, Xenosaga, Appleseed New CG version(Liked it but it doesnt live up to the original, they cut alot of stuff from the original out), And some others that I dont recall right now.

If you like Kannazuki no Miko, or at least the Shouji-Ai fan part, check out Strawberry Panic. Also, Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora, there are 2 characters that look very identical to the two main characters in Kannazuk no Miko, and not only that they are supposedly reincarnations of them, some sort of alternate universe or a story telling in the future aftter Kannazuki no Miko.

I enjoyed Elfen Lied, i was kind of dissapointed that they didn't give me a little more with the ending, and the manga didn't quite satisfy that either, but all in all it was still quite fun.

I actually Have Godannar and will problably get started on it soon, but I'd say check out Desert Punk, it can be quite hilarious and perverted at times. But it's still pretty funny watching the "Demon of the Desert" kick some a.

Claymore. You should check that out. Problably not going to make adult swim with all it's gore and violence (not as bloody as Elfen Lied but plenty of heads and other ligaments being detached from the body in one way or another. Basically female super warriors, in a sense, in that they are half-human, half-yoma (half-yoma=half-demon, or something like that). Anyway lots of awesome fighting scenes (these women wield swords taller than them like they were toothpicks, come on now, thats a win automatically).

If you are looking for something more light-hearted or on the romantic side, I just finished 2 that were quite interesting. Seto no Hayanome, boy meets, and gets involved with mermaid girl, and Nagasarete Airantou, boy runs away from home and lands on island full of girls and talking animals!

Let's see, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi was fun, light-hearted martial arts comedy/romance/action.

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou, i don't know if I mentioned this one earlier, but it's interesting, about a group of kids who fight zombies, demons, and other strange creatures. It can be dramatic at times but overall I liked it. They already finished the first season and are working on the second at the moment, but I can't seem to find the episodes.

That's all i got for now, well at least what I wanted to type in. Yea I've watched like almost 200 anime and still haven't seen stuff like Yu-Yu Hakesho, Rurouni Kenshin, GG, and some of the others you others have mentioned, woohoo!

Yu-Yu Hakasho is a good series quite funny in some episodes, plus the fighting is pretty good. I'll have to take a look at Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora I've heard about it, Im a Shoujo-AI fan so I guess im gonna watch it regardless, but I cried at the end of kannazuki no miko so Im probably gonna cry in this one too. Im also going to have to find some good big robot animes, any suggestions?

Edited by Falcon161

Well, Gundam 00 is coming along the way, I must say I don't like neither the mech nor the character design, and the series seems to be "lighter" from an emotional-depth point of view, no matter what they're trying to portray, and the dialogue seems forced and, at some times, even cheesy...

Yu-Yu Hakasho is a good series quite funny in some episodes, plus the fighting is pretty good. I'll have to take a look at Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora I've heard about it, Im a Shoujo-AI fan so I guess im gonna watch it regardless, but I cried at the end of kannazuki no miko so Im probably gonna cry in this one too. Im also going to have to find some good big robot animes, any suggestions?

Big O is a pretty good robot anime. It kinda reminds me of Batman though. Rahxephon is another good Robot anime. Highly recommended.

Falcon

Got both Neon Genesis movies along with Mezzo DSA. I was going to watch them this week but my vacation got canc'ed, I'll have to cram in everything this weekend. Need to know where to get GG at.

I think that I'm getting FMP and FMP TSR this Xmas. :yes:

QUOTE(Falcon161 @ Oct 16 2007, 06:26 PM) *

Godannar is a good one, Giant Robots and girls with Giant ,well you know what I mean. Check ADV's website, they may be having another sale.

Edited by firehawkordy

Got both Neon Genesis movies along with Mezzo DSA. I was going to watch them this week but my vacation got canc'ed, I'll have to cram in everything this weekend. Need to know where to get GG at.

I think that I'm getting FMP and FMP TSR this Xmas. :yes:

QUOTE(Falcon161 @ Oct 16 2007, 06:26 PM) *

Godannar is a good one, Giant Robots and girls with Giant ,well you know what I mean. Check ADV's website, they may be having another sale.

For GG, try Amazon.com. As for the NG movies, be prepared to be confused... :biggrin:

Falcon

Edited by FalconCAF

Dude, I am soooo confused with the NG movies. The first half of End was great, the second half was.......well........ummmm......well it did end. Seeing them makes me want to see the new live action movies even more, I can't have anymore harm done to my burned out mind, can I?

While NG is good in it's own right, the art and voice work are great, it's the ending that has always been it's downfall. I can't recommend RahXephon enough to anyone who likes anime. Some try to call it an NG knock-off but the story is different, and while the characters seem to be copies, they are so far removed from NG it's not funny. I would have been satisfied to have an ending like in the TV series where Shinji and Asuka have grown up together and Rei is the new kid. If he had the chance to change everything he should have chose a brighter future.

To quote Asuka at the end,

"Pathetic"

Fin

Dude, I am soooo confused with the NG movies. The first half of End was great, the second half was.......well........ummmm......well it did end. Seeing them makes me want to see the new live action movies even more, I can't have anymore harm done to my burned out mind, can I?

While NG is good in it's own right, the art and voice work are great, it's the ending that has always been it's downfall. I can't recommend RahXephon enough to anyone who likes anime. Some try to call it an NG knock-off but the story is different, and while the characters seem to be copies, they are so far removed from NG it's not funny. I would have been satisfied to have an ending like in the TV series where Shinji and Asuka have grown up together and Rei is the new kid. If he had the chance to change everything he should have chose a brighter future.

To quote Asuka at the end,

"Pathetic"

Fin

Yeah when I watched them on cable a year ago, I said to myself "Shinji you ahole". I thought at the end Shinji would say "Oooohhhh I get it now" but I was wrong. Shinji flat out didn't care about anyone because his father was a cold hearted MF who didn't care about his son. Like I said before, someone should of kick his a$$ and chew him real good. IMHO I would of grab a pistol and put him out of his misery and put a report saying "Unfit to pilot."

Agreed with you about RahXephon. At least the kid knew what was at stake, although the ending was kinda sad for me at first but in all it ended well. I just hope the live action movies of NG don't follow the anime plot by plot. Cuz I hate Shinji.

Falcon

Edited by FalconCAF