Sign in to follow this  
Hawk MMS

F-117 Crash video

Pilot did a great job...

Looks like an engine failure of some sorts, resulting in an explosion... Bird ingestion perhaps? Thankfully the pilot survived... I must say, a rather interesting way to end the life of a multi-million-dollar ugly looking aircraft... :haha:

I've seen video of that crash before... not from that angle though.

As i recall, the F-117 had some structural problems, which caused the wing to break during a high-g turn.

I don't like saying this, having been a mechanic for 17 years, but IIRC it was determined 4 bolts were left out from somewhere near one of the left aileron hinge points during an inspection cycle prior to the airshow. Thank god no one was injured!

AFAIK, bird ingestion has never happened on a 117 thanks to the grille covering the intakes. I don't know if it's possible or not.

very old vid for me at least...

lucky no one got hurt!

I went to this airshow every year since I'm only about 20 mins away. That year was the first year I missed it because I couldn't find anyone else to go with.

After this accident I heard they quit flying military aircraft and only civilian. Now I don't even think they have an airshow anymore there.

Mjr Knight is a credit to his Sqd and the USAF, it was his cool headed quick thing that kept this accident from becoming more that it was. My hats of to you Sir!!!