Sign in to follow this  
ext

Help from the Navy Guys!

I just returned from the Winnipeg International Air show. I was blown away by the demonstration of the F-14 Tomcat. That is one plane if you get a chance to see do it. I could not believe the size of it. I have seen other carrier planes but this was the first F-14 Would somebody know if the Tomcat is the biggest plane on the carriers today. If not what type of aircraft on any age carrier would be bigger. They had a B-25 close to it but the F-14 looked bigger.(ruling out the B-25 from WWII)

Thanks.

Hey EXT

Well, if you are talking actual size, I would have to say that the E-2 Hawkeye would be the largest carrier-based aircraft today.

The Tomcat is larger than the Hornet, though, I am sure.

It certainly has lasted the test of time. When I was at Pax River in 73, it was a new aircraft.

navychief

What about the A-5 or the older A-3? They were pretty huge.

You might have a point, but he was asking about today's inventory.

Chief

Yeah they have to be real carefull to be on centerline when landing those Tomcats because of its wingspan. Even on centerline the wingtips ride the foul lines.

The COD might be close in size to the Hawkeye though.

We called the E2 Hawkeyes "Hummers", because that is the sound they make when the engines are turning on deck. You can a distinctive humming sound of those engines throughout the ship.

"Now launch the Hummers!"

Navychief

P.S. Hey MJ....for some reason the server is not allowing me to upload an attachment; i.e. jpgs, etc......

And S-3's are called Hoovers because the engines sound like vacuums, right?

YOUR ALL WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that the LARGEST Carrier Aircraft was the C-130!

Here's the Landing video:

http://www.hopesanddreams.com/ABCCC/images...C130Landing.mov

And here's the TakeOff:

http://www.hopesanddreams.com/ABCCC/images...C130Takeoff.mov

I also have still photos of the SR-71 on the deck of the USS Enterprise somewhere....

Guest Ranger332

might be the largest that landed or took off but the AC-130 or C-130 is not an assigned navy carrier aircraft.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfi...t/air-c130.html

Carrier-based squadrons fly six different types of aircraft: F/A-18 Hornets, F-14 Tomcats, SH-60 Seahawks, S-3B Vikings, E-2C Hawkeyes and EA-6B Prowlers. Missions range from reconnaissance and search and rescue to logistics and interdiction.

Guest Ranger332

"I believe that the LARGEST Carrier Aircraft was the C-130! "

There was at one time a test to see if needed if a Ac-130, or C-130 could take off and be deployed via carrier. but this was for special ops. only note the test was done by US NAVY pilots as the Airforce dosent have the training to make carrier landings.

When I was talking to the pilot he said - Landing on the deck of a carrier was the most unatural thing he ever did - he said think about it you are trying to land and the runway is moving away from you. - to land you have to catch the runway. - he also said once you master the landing then they want you to do it at night.

-I guess you need a sense of humour and nerves of steel to be a Navy pilot!

That C-130 Was a Government Test to Test the Carriers and the C-130.

Notice they Dont Show it for long after they Touch down.

the Wingspan is too big .. lol.. if it kept going straight it would level the island.

as for the SR-71 they Were Being Shipped Via Carrier and Were Loaded/Unloaded via Crane

Guest Ranger332

you could land a B-52 on a carrier if it wasent for the tower,the only real restriction on carrier laninng is wingspand and the pilots training.

Your correct on both accounts DO....

Oh yeah,

I knew about the infamous C-130 on carriers tests, but didn't consider them, as they never became part of carrier assignment.

Speaking for myself, there is no way I would have been on deck when a C-130 would have landed. Why? The wingspan of the Hercules (also called the "Flying Coffin") was so wide, it would have been too easy for a pilot to misjudge and hit the island. That would have made a most unsatisfactory trap, to say the least.

The A-3D Skywarrior (or known by many as the "SkyWhale) had a history of crashes on carriers. When a "Whale" would come in for a landing, you would see everyone head for the catwalks! Another nickname for the A3D was: "All Three Dead".

Chief W.

I thought they were called Hummers because the Hawkeyes parked on deck were where you could take a female sailor and.............

um nevermind. :wink:

The COD might be close in size to the Hawkeye though.

We called the E2 Hawkeyes "Hummers", because that is the sound they make when the engines are turning on deck.  You can a distinctive humming sound of those engines throughout the ship.

"Now launch the Hummers!"

Navychief

P.S.  Hey MJ....for some reason the server is not allowing me to upload an attachment; i.e. jpgs, etc......

Hey Chief, I don't think that C130 actually trapped. I think they just hit the brakes and prop reverse to stop. I'm not 100% sure but I dont think they had a hook on that sucker. Can you imagine being the guy selected to pull that one off? lol but he did, kudos to that guy.

Oh yeah,  

I knew about the infamous C-130 on carriers tests, but didn't consider them, as they never became part of carrier assignment.

Speaking for myself, there is no way I would have been on deck when a C-130 would have landed.  Why?  The wingspan of the Hercules (also called the "Flying Coffin") was so wide, it would have been too easy for a pilot to misjudge and hit the island.  That would have made a most unsatisfactory trap, to say the least.

The A-3D Skywarrior (or known by many as the "SkyWhale) had a history of crashes on carriers.   When a "Whale" would come in for a landing, you would see everyone head for the catwalks!   Another nickname for the A3D was: "All Three Dead".

Chief W.

I didn't know the details about the C130 testing. It was definitely before my time in the Navy.

I was in from 72-76, then 4 1/2 yrs broken service, and then I served from Dec. 80 to April 97, for a total of 20 yrs.

Additionally, here are some pics of not only the C130, but a U2 landing.

Chief W.

When I was attached to VA-66 during the 82 Med cruise the biggest A/C that I saw was an A3D. It wasn'r permantly attached to the ship but I think we just transported it closer to wherever it was going to end up. The F-14 is a big bird, here is one of my favorite pics of one that I took during the cruise aboard the Ike. CG Virginia in the background.

Guest Ranger332

that middle on of the C-130 I got off the web back when they were working on the AC-130 :) still like it :):):)

Yeah that's right. It's interesting because the A10 has the same TF34 engines that the S3 has, but it doesnt make the same Whoop sound as the S3. The S3 makes that Whoop sound because of the velocity of air on the 1st stage compressor blades- the fan blades. Each blade is mil spec differently or I should say individually.

Here check this out:

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm...edu537/turbine/

And S-3's are called Hoovers because the engines sound like vacuums, right?

[Can you imagine being the guy selected to pull that one off? lol but he did, kudos to that guy. ]

If I recall what I had read about it,it was jimmy tatch...if so he definetly WAS outstanding choice...

[The A-3D Skywarrior (or known by many as the "SkyWhale) had a history of crashes on carriers. When a "Whale" would come in for a landing, you would see everyone head for the catwalks!]

not to mention the way the nose went around,up down.....lol

It certainly has lasted the test of time. When I was at Pax River in 73, it was a new aircraft.

and now off it goes to museums...hell of a fate,the birds could have stuck around a long while if they had done the upgrades it needed,lot cheaper than buying hornets,which Im not that imppresed with...same fate with the intruder,now that made a hell of a show on deck with 4 loaded mers...