Sign in to follow this  
FalconC45

Don't forget..

WW1 DOGFIGHTS! Tonight at 9pm EST. CA_Stary, you might get ideas for FE Efx from this show ;)

Falcon

Oh Yes! I watch Dogfights religously.

Especially looking forward to this one.

Unfortunately will be asleep :blind:

WW1 DOGFIGHTS! Tonight at 9pm EST. CA_Stary, you might get ideas for FE Efx from this show ;)

Falcon

I don't have the History Channel so I can't see it but there's a new online game supposedly based on this programme called 'Dogfights'. Anyone tried this yet?

... but there's a new online game supposedly based on this programme called 'Dogfights'. Anyone tried this yet?

Had a quick look (maybe 5 secs) and it looks pretty bad...

Had a quick look (maybe 5 secs) and it looks pretty bad...

I quite agree. The entire game feels thrown together. It looks like they don't care.

EDIT: I forgot to add, does anybody find it disconcerting that the terrible look-and-feel is a little strange, for a game that's ridiculously demanding in system resources?

Edited by Longestpants

Well, if people are in a hurry and a tight budget they don't usually try to streamline the code. AFAIK, History Channel makes games based on some of their other series, and I haven't heard about them being particularly good either. Actually, it's a great piece of luck, if a game based on an upcoming movie or popular TV show turns out at least half-decent.

Yay! It was pretty cool. The first minutes of it that I saw, that is, before my electricity went out. :(

Yay! It was pretty cool. The first minutes of it that I saw, that is, before my electricity went out. :(

Don't worry, it'll rerun next week or this weekend. Don't know if you saw the DR1 segment but I'm having a hard time believing the plane was THAT nimble.

Falcon

Don't know if you saw the DR1 segment but I'm having a hard time believing the plane was THAT nimble.

I don't believe it was either. A literal 180 turn-in-place like that would cause a wicked stall if not

rip the wings off. But the Dr.1 "was" very nimble. The whole rudder assembly turned rather than

the usual vertical fin and rudder arrangement. This made the Dr.1 difficult to hold steady due

to the very touchy yaw, but also very nimble.

As I remember, the maneuver to get the Dr.1 turned around so fast was to climb hard and then

kick the rudder bar. The plane would flip over the top of the climb much easier than contemporary

fighters. Then the pilot could roll into any direction he wanted, even 180 degrees from his

original course. The whole manuever could happen so fast that Allied pilots were amazed.

I really enjoyed this episode. I had just been reading about Voss' fight against No56 squadron.

Truly epic! Though in my research, I was looking for alternative color schemes for the Se.5.

I think No56 had blue noses on their Se.5s at the time. This was before the RFC cracked down

and insisted on more uniform paint schemes.

I don't believe it was either. A literal 180 turn-in-place like that would cause a wicked stall if not

rip the wings off. But the Dr.1 "was" very nimble. The whole rudder assembly turned rather than

the usual vertical fin and rudder arrangement. This made the Dr.1 difficult to hold steady due

to the very touchy yaw, but also very nimble.

As I remember, the maneuver to get the Dr.1 turned around so fast was to climb hard and then

kick the rudder bar. The plane would flip over the top of the climb much easier than contemporary

fighters. Then the pilot could roll into any direction he wanted, even 180 degrees from his

original course. The whole manuever could happen so fast that Allied pilots were amazed.

I really enjoyed this episode. I had just been reading about Voss' fight against No56 squadron.

Truly epic! Though in my research, I was looking for alternative color schemes for the Se.5.

I think No56 had blue noses on their Se.5s at the time. This was before the RFC cracked down

and insisted on more uniform paint schemes.

Personally I think it was a opitical illusion that the SE5a pilot saw. Know what I mean? Anyway I knew that the DR1 was unstable in retrospect. I heard novice pilots flying it had a really difficult time flying it normally & in combat. But yeah it was a really fun episode and I really enjoyed the Spad 13 vs D7 (My fav german fighter of WW1) segment.

Falcon