Sign in to follow this  
jv44kt

Anyone know this aircraft

LFG_Roland_D16.jpgLFG Roland D.XVI

need some pictures

Wiki (bottom)

"The next major design from Roland were parasol monoplane designs, the D.XVI with the Siemens-Halske Sh.III or 170hp Goebel Goe.IIIa rotary piston engines, and the otherwise similar D.XVII with the inline 185hp BMW IIIa. Both were entered into the Second Fighter Competition at Adlershof, but lost to the Fokker D.VIII."

Unfortunately, could not find pictures.

Two versions of the D.XVI parasol fighter were completed in September-October 1918, one powered by the 160hp Goebel Goe III rotary and the other by a similarly rated Siemens-Halske Sh II rotary. The D.XVI had a fully- cantilevered fabric covered parasol wing and a slab-sided plywood covered fuselage. Armament comprised twin synchronised 7.9 mm LMG 08/15 machine guns.

The D.XVI proved faster than the Siemens-Schuckert D.IV and the Fokker D.VII up to an altitude of 4,000 m but slower above that.

Span 31 ft 1/2in (9.46 m)

Length 19ft 4in (5.9 m)

th.03cc5001b4.jpg

th.8faaee0920.jpg

LloydNB

4-bladed prop? Pretty rare in WWI.

4-blade prop is not rare in WW1 ??  Take a good look in your WW1 airplane book. Some pilotsgraves in the Western front are even marked with an cross made from a 4 bladed prop.

Define 'rare'. How many aircraft in WWI had 4 blade props vs total number of aircraft types?

Do you have that info there Dutch? I'd like to know.

FastCargo

Not what I'd call rare. Several very common A/C had 4 bladed props like the DH-2 and the BE 2c. Then there was the R.A.F. BE 12, FE 2, FE 8. The Airco DH 6. The Seimens-Schuckert DIII, DIV. The Handley Page 0/400 bomber. The Short Bomber. The Brits seemed to use them more than anyone else.

Well I wouldn’t call it rare but it certainly wasn’t the norm

At least some of these (it seems to be mostly English but that could be my references) and dependant of powerplant

A few of the more common seem to be totally 4 bladed (FE 2, BE 2)

Breguet 14

S.E.5a

BE 2a

BE 2c

BE 12

RE 7

FE 2

FE 8

Martinsyde G100

FE 8

F 2B

DH 4

DH 6

DH 9a

HP 0/100

HP 0/400

Fairey Campania

Siemens-Schuckert D.IV

Siemens-Schuckert D.III

The interesting thing about the D.XVI is the Siemens-Halske Sh II rotary

where the crank rotated in the opposite direction to the Prop

beaten to the punch :biggrin:

Okay,

That's what I wanted to know...not 'rare', but not what I would call common either.

FastCargo

It wasn't until WWII that 4-bladed props became standard, and not the beginning of the war either. Many planes known for 4 or 5 blades late-war had only 3 early war.