Sign in to follow this  
Hawk MMS

F-11 Tiger shoots itself down

:blink:Found this on Wikipedia...

The F-11 Tiger is notorious for being the first jet aircraft to shoot itself down. On 21 September 1956, during a test firing of its 20 mm cannons, pilot Tom Attridge fired two bursts mid-way through a shallow dive. As the velocity and trajectory of the cannon rounds decayed, they ultimately crossed paths with the Tiger as it continued its descent, disabling it and forcing Attridge to crash land the aircraft. The pilot survived.

:blink:Found this on Wikipedia...

The F-11 Tiger is notorious for being the first jet aircraft to shoot itself down. On 21 September 1956, during a test firing of its 20 mm cannons, pilot Tom Attridge fired two bursts mid-way through a shallow dive. As the velocity and trajectory of the cannon rounds decayed, they ultimately crossed paths with the Tiger as it continued its descent, disabling it and forcing Attridge to crash land the aircraft. The pilot survived.

Well I can hardly believe that story.!! I thought I was Brainless!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Gee, I thought it would have been something like a sidewinder launched, but the rocket didn't kick in immediately, and when it did, the plane was far enough ahead for it to lock on and hit the launching aircraft. That would have been hilarious as long as the pilot survived.

There's this saying about pissing uphill, it almost applies, but kind of reversed.

We lost a A-4 Skyhawk, in North Vietnam during the war.If I remember the pilot was in a dive using old rockets. One or some malfuction,the A-4 engine injects rockets parts,and fails.Pilot ejects POW.

I heard the story. The rockets colide and expload infront of the Skyhawk. The enigine ate everything and burnt out. Poor guy :dntknw:

i read about it in an Aircraft book years ago...

thats damn funny :)

I can only imagine what they changed his callsign to

probably something like "Muncher"

I keep killing myself when I'm dive bombing and I drop a bomb from higher up, and as I dive down lower I get ahead of it, then I drop my second bomb and pull up, and my plane explodes. DOH! I didn't understand what happened untill I did it from the outside view.

Edited by Rambler 1-1