Sign in to follow this  
tank03

DVD burners

I'm looking at getting an external DVD/CD writer to back up some of my computer files, as DVD's seem to store way more than CD's.

I've looked online and they all talk about storing movies and photos and nothing about data storage. Am I looking at the wrong devices or are they all capable of storing any digital media?

ANy help with this is appreciated. I'm getting nervous since I have a TON of stuff not yet backed up.

With a DVD\RW you can add any data you like to a dvd writable disc....nearly 5 times what you get on a cd....you only need to burn a cd if you require an audio disc....

Yes Just think of a standard DVD as a CD that can hold more tbh.

You will Need either DVD-R (write/burn once only) or DVD-RW (write to lots of times) disks

There is also DVD+R and DVD+RW formats that some drives support - so you may want to check your drive before buying any disks.

My DVD burner supports both - and + types but not sure how common that is.

Yes Just think of a standard DVD as a CD that can hold more tbh.

You will Need either DVD-R (write/burn once only) or DVD-RW (write to lots of times) disks

There is also DVD+R and DVD+RW formats that some drives support - so you may want to check your drive before buying any disks.

My DVD burner supports both - and + types but not sure how common that is.

Thanks for the replies guys. It clears things up for me. :good:

If you can find a burner that also supports dual layers (DL), get that. Target sells a 3pack of DL's for about $7 (at least the one up here near Hookset). The DL's hold 8.5 gigs.

Expensive, though. Not the burners, those are like $30. I mean the media compared to standard SL DVDs. It's a lot more than 2x the cost for only 2x the space! Only useful for something that's over 5GB that MUST be on a single disc, like say a slipstreamed OS install.

Most DVD burners come with multiple-format capability, so you will not be THAT out of place. However, it is always, always a good thing to ask the person in charge about which brand of DVD burner to buy, because there are a tendency for some of them to fail.

My own LG burner worked flawlessly so far at the moment, so I can't give my judgment.