Sign in to follow this  
GASCAN39

Gripen - Me Likes the Gripen

The one you listed for WOI? I was flying it in SFP1, so I didn't think that would work. I also noticed a slow roll rate, although the pitch rate seemed fine.

The original FM is pretty much in the trash. The new one for WOI will replace it when the patches are released and should fix all problems. :ok:

@JM: with the new Beta FM for the Gripen (it's in the File Announcement for the a/c), my wingmen have not yet crashed on landing in WoI. Haven't tested autopilot, don't usually use it, but the aircraft handles very well.

I´m not sure about the Gripen, but i know some aircraft with canards don´t use them as elevators, the canards on such aircraft are used to force the airflow towards or away from the wings. In that case you would notice a movement just the other way elevators would do. So the animation is not backward, it is correct, if the Gripen uses it´s canards this way. :wink:

If that's the case how do such aircraft control pitch? ( I'm asking about delta winged aircraft with canards)

Like any other delta, using the wing control surfaces.

Like any other delta, using the wing control surfaces.

You're saying that delta winged aircraft wing contol surfaces that serve as both ailerons & elevators right?

Pretty much. The thing is, look at the wing of a delta aircraft. All of the controls are on the aft side of wing, as it only has two wings and no horizontal tail separate of them. Both pitch and roll control is preformed by them, while yaw is achieved with the rudder. With an aircraft that has non-moving canards, it's the same thing, the canards move center of gravity, and IIRC in the C2's case add some AoA control.

Even in the non-delta Tomcat for instance, all pitch and roll control is had by the horizontal tail after the wings sweep beyond, I want to say 58* (don't have time to check NATOPS right now), as the spoilers get locked down. The Glove Vanes on the A work like other non-moving canards, shifting the CoG (forward in this case) to unload the HT, giving it about 1G extra pull at high speed over the B and D; also why they were removed (limited usefulness). They don't provide active pitch/roll control. At lower speeds, it's a combination of spoilers and the HT for roll, while the HT handles pitch. The flaps don't move for roll control, unlike the F-15's outboard flaps.

EDIT: I see we've gotten off topic.

Edited by Caesar

Pretty much. The thing is, look at the wing of a delta aircraft. All of the controls are on the aft side of wing, as it only has two wings and no horizontal tail separate of them. Both pitch and roll control is preformed by them, while yaw is achieved with the rudder. With an aircraft that has non-moving canards, it's the same thing, the canards move center of gravity, and IIRC in the C2's case add some AoA control.

Even in the non-delta Tomcat for instance, all pitch and roll control is had by the horizontal tail after the wings sweep beyond, I want to say 58* (don't have time to check NATOPS right now), as the spoilers get locked down. The Glove Vanes on the A work like other non-moving canards, shifting the CoG (forward in this case) to unload the HT, giving it about 1G extra pull at high speed over the B and D; also why they were removed (limited usefulness). They don't provide active pitch/roll control. At lower speeds, it's a combination of spoilers and the HT for roll, while the HT handles pitch. The flaps don't move for roll control, unlike the F-15's outboard flaps.

EDIT: I see we've gotten off topic.

Nevertheless... thanks a lot for the info.... :wink: :yes:

Ok, I guess I'll have to wait for the next patch then for my non-WOI installs. :wink:

As for using canards for lift, I think the Viggen did that. The canards were fixed with elevators on the back rather than all-moving.

As for using canards for lift, I think the Viggen did that. The canards were fixed with elevators on the back rather than all-moving.

Thats exactly how it worked. If you look at my signature you can see the canard's elevator.

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

I know it's been a while. And it's off topic and all.

But just a small correction. Its the center of lift (puting this in front of the center of center of gravity is what creates the hyper-manuverable planes of today) that is moved by the adition of canards not the center of gravity... well maybe a little they do have mass after all :wink: .

Anyway sorry for beeing anoying just thought... you know...

I know it's been a while. And it's off topic and all.

But just a small correction. Its the center of lift (puting this in front of the center of center of gravity is what creates the hyper-manuverable planes of today) that is moved by the adition of canards not the center of gravity... well maybe a little they do have mass after all :wink: .

Anyway sorry for beeing anoying just thought... you know...

Punching this up

HAs anyone figured out, in SFP, the wingman crashing thing?