Well guys having just acquired the latest YAP missions I noticed one entitled 'John McCain's last mission'. Having found this intriguing I went on the net and put up his name. Having got past the politics I read a bit about his service in Vietnam. A remarkable story of a very courageous and dedicated serviceman who endured years of horrible imprisonment and torture which it seems he chose rather than give in to the enemy. If you don't already know the story and I expect many of you do, you could do no better than read this tale of a remarkable man. Yes I know there were others equally dedicated and courageous but it's worth the read.

I do not know anything about US politics other than he is in the running for president but still I wish him well.

On the subject of YAP in my view the latest set are worth the 10 bucks and they do have some marvellous objects and scenery.

(PS. I don't know how to post internet links but perhaps one of you guys could edit this post to the 'John McCain's service history in Vietnam'.so others can read it.)

Wasn't that the mission right after his A-4 was hit by a Zuni that resulted in the Forrestal fire?

He was USS Oriskany not USS Forrestal witch also had a very big deck fire like Forrestal The Big E also had a bad fire durring the war

I have flown this mission its fun!! the ship model is just jaw droping, hell just that is worth the $10 price of admission

I wonder if they were able to get in touch with him for mission details. I'm sure it's been writen about in depth dozens of times, but nothing beats straight from the mouth of the person that was there.

McCain was on the Forrestal, right in the middle of the fire. His was the A-4 hit by the errant Zuni. He barely made it out of his bird, had to climb onto the refueling probe and drop to the deck. (A similar accident occurred on the Enterprise around the same time). When the Forrestal headed home, McCain volunteered to join VA-163 on the Oriskany. After maybe twenty missions, he was shot down -- and he wasn't even scheduled to fly that day. He begged to be included on the roster, once he heard the target was Hanoi. Then, after a few weeks in captivity, the North Vietnamese learned that McCain's father was a four-star admiral, and offered to release him. McCain refused to go home until everybody who'd been captured before him was released. He was tortured pretty severely for his defiance, sustaining injuries that very nearly crippled him for life.

Not to get political, but I've got a 1/72 scale model of McCain's A-4 sitting on top of my computer. :smile:

Yeah, Mac has a big mouth, and he's combative, and he thinks for himself (and sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly what he's thinking). We all might disagree about some of the issues surrounding this election campaign, but I don't think anybody can fault the man's personal courage, or his sense of duty.

For that matter, we Americans owe every man and woman who served in our military -- or is serving in our military right now -- a huge debt of gratitude. That's a lesson I think we learned as a nation from the shameful treatment Vietnam veterans received after that war. Don't discard your heroes, because they represent the best in all of us.

Um, sorry for the rant. I come from a Navy family ... :wink:

Edited by Pancho

McCain was on the Forrestal, right in the middle of the fire. His was the A-4 hit by the errant Zuni. He barely made it out of his bird, had to climb onto the refueling probe and drop to the deck. (A similar accident occurred on the Enterprise around the same time). When the Forrestal headed home, McCain volunteered to join VA-163 on the Oriskany. After maybe twenty missions, he was shot down -- and he wasn't even scheduled to fly that day. He begged to be included on the roster, once he heard the target was Hanoi. Then, after a few weeks in captivity, the North Vietnamese learned that McCain's father was a four-star admiral, and offered to release him. McCain refused to go home until everybody who'd been captured before him was released. He was tortured pretty severely for his defiance, sustaining injuries that very nearly crippled him for life.

Not to get political, but I've got a 1/72 scale model of McCain's A-4 sitting on top of my computer. :smile:

Yeah, Mac has a big mouth, and he's combative, and he thinks for himself (and sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly what he's thinking). We all might disagree about some of the issues surrounding this election campaign, but I don't think anybody can fault the man's personal courage, or his sense of duty.

For that matter, we Americans owe every man and woman who served in our military -- or is serving in our military right now -- a huge debt of gratitude. That's a lesson I think we learned as a nation from the shameful treatment Vietnam veterans received after that war. Don't discard your heroes, because they represent the best in all of us.

I'm not an American as you probably know but well said mate. You need to remember these brave men and women.

Pancho - A great post and your comments are spot on mate!

Ditto! :clapping::good: I come from a Army, Navy and Air Force family. With out the selflessness of the BRAVE men AND women of our past and present military, a lot of the things we take for granted would not be. It is up to Our CinC to have the wisdom to NOT send our troops into harms way for some B*S*

AMEN!

Excellent post Sir...

SB