Sign in to follow this  
Basher11

Innovative weather/environment simulation

:clapping: Amazing, truly amazing! :clapping: I have never seen a flight simulation that renders ground and air weather in such details.  See I was designing a mission to get a feel of the Mission Editor and how things played out in a mission design. Out of witty curiorsit

y I set the wind speed to 250 which is in fact close to a tropical typhoon which I heard frequently happens in Asia Pacific countries.  Wind direction set to 0 degree.  When I ran the mission, I saw clouds moving side ways even my ship was flying forward. When I fast forward the time to 8X, the effect was more obvious and sometimes puffy clouds moved to the left and

the next moment they moved to the right! :clapping: .

What's more is after landing on the runway on autopilot, sand was seen as tiny waves swept tot he direction of the wind!!

Which part of the simulation is responsible for this?  Particle system?  TK, it's really incredible you know!

wow - not sure - Environmentsystem.ini at a guess

Re-pasting to read without scrolling. For some reason, the forum won't display this properly.

Basher::

-------

Amazing, truly amazing! clapping.gif I have never seen a flight simulation that renders ground and air weather in such details. See I was designing a mission to get a feel of the Mission Editor and how things played out in a mission design. Out of witty curiorsity I set the wind speed to 250 which is in fact close to a tropical typhoon which I heard frequently happens in Asia Pacific countries. Wind direction set to 0 degree. When I ran the mission, I saw clouds moving side ways even my ship was flying forward. When I fast forward the time to 8X, the effect was more obvious and sometimes puffy clouds moved to the left and

the next moment they moved to the right! clapping.gif .

What's more is after landing on the runway on autopilot, sand was seen as tiny waves swept tot he direction of the wind!!

Which part of the simulation is responsible for this? Particle system? TK, it's really incredible you know!

-------

Yep, the clouds (really, wind) can be set to have brief random changes in direction. I don't use it, since I reserve wind for high altitude where wind is more stable...I think. :dntknw:

I learned from TK himself that you can control the wind settings in each mission file, and this overrides what we see in the Enviro.

Sand blowing is a new one. I never tried wind speeds that high. Most interesting.

Sand blowing is a new one. I never tried wind speeds that high. Most interesting.

But have you really it? I mean that's remarkable.  Look, why don't you tell me how to make a video capture so that I can show you on YouTube. I suppose screenies won't do the job for sand blowing.  I heard that FRAPS could do the job but does it kill some of the framerates?

But have you really it? I mean that's remarkable.  Look, why don't you tell me how to make a video capture so that I can show you on YouTube. I suppose screenies won't do the job for sand blowing.  I heard that FRAPS could do the job but does it kill some of the framerates?

FRAPS will not only kill frame rate, but it will hog a lot of space on your HD. So once you get it up on Youtube, delete it from your computer.

What you saw is due to the terrain shader effects, and not a rearragement of the "sand" due to wind effects. That is not modeled.

Zoom to full screen in this video and look at the "sand" in the background when the second '117 takes off...that's the shader effect in action.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...si&img=4236

Fubar512:

You will have to watch the video to see it for yourself. I could be wrong, but visual recognition tells me it looks like that.

Flight simulation games is somehow a funny product.  Some of the effects might not be modelled according to original intention. But it happens to be a surprise.

A couple of years back, I was indulged in Falcon 4 with the superpacks. The hex-editing was sort of like going mad for everyone in the community, I was one of them.  Modifying some of the weapons and aricrafts. 

It was the Harpoon and the B-52 Fortress I was working on. Out of sheer incidence, I changed the weapon properties of the Harpoon making it IRguided which is not true in the real world. The results I got was a surprise. 

Each waypoint of the flight pinpointed on a target city. So I attacked 10 cities and made 14 waypoints.  All of them are thousands of miles away.  I switched to the next waypoint and

launched the Harpoon, all 10 Harpoons were air-launched at stand-off range and all the cities were precisely hit. 

Look I will try recording and show you a video.

Edited by Basher11