Sign in to follow this  
mppd

Making a pseudo F-4C/D

Why don`t ask MF they have plenty of modells... don`t know how hard it would be to change a F to a D but it`s a try

Also, now that I'm starting to figure out this 3D thing there are a few more items I need to make - small nose RHAW antennas that were on F-4D upper noses until removed in 1969 or so, plus a small antenna on 25th TFS F-4D spines (offset to right on mid fuselage). Also F-4E TISEO.

Mike D.

Mirage Factory is not interested - too many other neat projects in the works which are much higher on the priority list. They could come up with a SUPER C/D model...

Mike

Looks not so hard to do.. use it as a training.. Im sure to see first pics this weekend... keep up your work!

look here don`t know if you see this thread but here is what I have did so far .. all are BETA WIP parts

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=29416

buut you can create a BMP file so everyone can change the colour for those parts.. or just link them with the planes Texture .. like FC canards arte linked to the planes skin!

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Would be nice to have a clean-nosed model with correct LE droops *nudge nudge* :yes:

Edited by Toryu

Thanks for the encouragement - I am really in awe at all of the 3D projects that all you folks have created. The thought of creating an entire airplane is just WAY over my head..I'm struggling with these puny parts for the F-4!! I created a bitmapt that actually wrapped on the part last week, but could not do it last night for the life of me! Back to the tutorials I guess.

MPD

O.K., one more tiny item to help make these Phantoms a little more real - APS-107 RHAW system housings on first F-4Ds to go to SE Asia.

MPD

Its not that we the Mirage Factory isnt interested, we are just swamped with other projects but we do have every intention on making more correct C/D. Crab_02 and Sundowner are the resident F-4 experts. Stickler for details just like you. Sundowner knows how to add little details like what you want to the F-4. So lets set up some meeting with him mppd and see what we can come up with.

I mean I want a Herpes mod for the F-4D. So I feel yeah on this. In fact I have another idea, PM me for details.

There is no secret B/C/D model.

The leaked model was the F-4E.

Since the leaked model was already public, TK did not argue against modders using it as a baseline for public releases.

It was the basis for the early unslatted F-4E.

I believe it was also the basis for the F-4G, F-4K, and F-4M variants available for free download.

One approach to creating a new F-4 would be to use another publicly available model as a starting point.

I am not a 3d modeler, but if it is possible to use Alpha Sim's freeware models to create 3ds max source files, then perhaps what you need already exists, a freeware F-4N for CFS2:

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/fwd.html

Also it never hurts to inform TK about what you want or need.

He may disregard or more likely forget about what you have asked for, but sooner or later he usually fixes everything he knows is wrong.

I have mentioned to him about F-4D chin pod/ecm variants before, i.e. slick nose and no rwr in cockpit versus early chin pod and early rwr versus later chinpod with updated rwr.

Despite the fact that the released F-4D represents a model that existed after Vietnam, he never got around to making more variants.

I think I should bump my requests since he intends to redo the early models like the F-4 to catch up to the detail and fidelity of the newer releases.

I don't know what improvements he plans to make? Texture resolutions? External 3d model details? Cockpit details?

I (and several other F-15 fanatics) did successfully get some of the F-15A problems fixed by TK when WoE was coming out:

animated intakes, canopy refinement, and underwing pylon positions... so it is possible to get TK to listen and take action on these kind of details... just a matter of when.

But some of the other problems were ignored both externally and more importantly in the cockpit.

But some of the other problems were ignored both externally and more importantly in the cockpit.

exactly a real pity :sorry:

I created a new under-nose F-4C and an F-4D bulged RHAW housing (all black - no texture) plus the four small RWR antennas around the nose (on F-4Ds until 1969) as add-on parts. This goes a long way towards making an acceptable C and D until something better comes along from the MF with fixed L.E. flaps. I'll upload them later.

Mike D.

Hi Mike,

You seem to be into AF Phantoms rather than USN/USMC birds, but seeing the things you managed to accomplish gave me an idea. I don't have the tools and the skills to realize it (otherwise I'd do it myself), so I'm asking you.

Would you be so kind - of course only if you happen to have some free time and some inclination - to build the DECM fairings located on the intakes of the later F-4J (shorter fairing) and the F-4N (longer fairing)?

I hope you give a thought to my humble request. :notworthy: Otherwise sorry for bothering.

Bl.

Hi Mike,

You seem to be into AF Phantoms rather than USN/USMC birds, but seeing the things you managed to accomplish gave me an idea. I don't have the tools and the skills to realize it (otherwise I'd do it myself), so I'm asking you.

Would you be so kind - of course only if you happen to have some free time and some inclination - to build the DECM fairings located on the intakes of the later F-4J (shorter fairing) and the F-4N (longer fairing)?

I hope you give a thought to my humble request. :notworthy: Otherwise sorry for bothering.

Bl.

Already being done......along with just about every other little bump, lump & whatever......just a matter of time.

f4juk2.jpg

Already being done......along with just about every other little bump, lump & whatever......just a matter of time.

Now that's good to know. Thank you and keep it up. :biggrin:

Blade,

Did the Navy fly F-4s also? Learn something new every day....I guess what I'm trying to do is a few stopgap items to carry us over until the guys who actually know what they're doing can finish their real products. The 3D deal is a steep learning curve for us old guys, I can tell you that was my experience. But it is a way to make all those little things that are bugging you if you are a bit of a perfectionist.

Here are some new 370 gal MacAir wingtanks that I did - they are shaped a bit more like the real thing than the pointy tanks supplied in the sim.

Mike D.

Hi again,

Did the Navy fly F-4s also? Learn something new every day....

I just don't understand why you're saying this... :wink:

Anyway, I know that these things are really hard to learn and I appreciate your hard work put into perfecting the F-4C/D. That was the reason why I gathered all my courage to ask you, because, for me, the DECM fairings of the F-4J/N are something like the correct LEFs and RHAW gear of the F-4C/D for you. Been missing these for a loooong time...

Sundowner's post above has given me new hope, so I'm busy waiting. Thanks and sorry for bothering.

Bl.

Edited by Blade

Did the Navy fly F-4s also? Learn something new every day....

BTW, what I tried to imply a few posts before was that to me you seemed to be much more interested in USAF Phantoms, I didn't mean to question your knowledge about naval birds. :blush:

Bl.

Edited by Blade

Just kidding about the Navy F-4 thing...but I have to say that I don't think that I have ever tried flying onto or off of a carrier in WOV yet!! But I will eventually.

Hey, don't apologize for asking about the add-on parts. If the big guys don't come through in a little while, I'll be glad to try to make the parts for you (us). I wasn't proud about asking several folks to make some parts for me, but when everyone seemed to be busy and could not find the time, I figured that it was time to get into the 3D business myself. I used to be a technical illustrator in the old days when I had a real job, but the software for 3D modeling was really in its infancy in those days, and seeing what is possible now just blew me away, and the hoops you have to jump thru to learn the stupid program was pretty intimidating to be honest.

I have lots of little parts I need for myself - TISEO, ADSID, SUU-7, the BLU-1s without the end caps, maybe a new CL 600 gal tank, ARN-101 on F-4E spine, and on and on. The possibilities now are virtually endless.

Mike

Just kidding about the Navy F-4 thing...but I have to say that I don't think that I have ever tried flying onto or off of a carrier in WOV yet!! But I will eventually.

You should try. I cannot depict the amazement what I felt after my first successful trap. :biggrin:

If the big guys don't come through in a little while, I'll be glad to try to make the parts for you (us).

Thank you, you'd make me real happy. Sadly, I don't think I have either the time or the inclination (let alone the skills) to 'get into the 3D business', so I'll be waiting patiently for you and the other big guys. :notworthy:

TISEO, ADSID, SUU-7, the BLU-1s without the end caps, maybe a new CL 600 gal tank, ARN-101 on F-4E spine.

I am familiar with all but one of these expressions. Would you be so kind to let me know what ADSID is?

Thanks,

Bl.

Many types of aircraft were used to deploy sensors in LAOS to detect the movement of supplies heading south. Among these were F-4Ds of the 25th TFS at Ubon. A typical sensor was ADSID - a seismic sensor detecting ground tremors from moving trucks (or personnel?). The sensor looked like a camouflaged lawn dart with antenna sticking out the top made to look like foliage when buried in the ground. Looked interesting hanging from a Phantom MER!

Many types of aircraft were used to deploy sensors in LAOS to detect the movement of supplies heading south. Among these were F-4Ds of the 25th TFS at Ubon. A typical sensor was ADSID - a seismic sensor detecting ground tremors from moving trucks (or personnel?). The sensor looked like a camouflaged lawn dart with antenna sticking out the top made to look like foliage when buried in the ground. Looked interesting hanging from a Phantom MER!

Thank you for the explanation.

Antenna seen on 25th TFS F-4Ds at Ubon - retained later after LORAN added to the spine also. This stuff is slowly coming together for me! (Ooops, had it on the wrong side...)

Mike

Edited by mppd

O.K. I'm doing an update package for the F-4C/D visual models with all of the little missing antennas, static wicks, pitot tubes/etc. that have been bugging me for so long. I think that these really help spiff up the visual models and make them a bit more accurate for the detail buffs who might be interested.

Anyone with any ideas for this please PM me or feel free to post to this thread. I hope to update my F-4 serial numbers and tailcodes for this as well. After I finish this I really intend to start FLYING this sim and stop modding it...

Thanks,

Mike D.

I have lots of little parts I need for myself - TISEO, ADSID, SUU-7, the BLU-1s without the end caps, maybe a new CL 600 gal tank, ARN-101 on F-4E spine, and on and on. The possibilities now are virtually endless.

Hi Mike,

I'm curious to know (therefore I am HUMBLY asking) if you still plan to make these (I'm especially interested in the TISEO and the ARN-101 spine fairing). Thank you.

Bl.