Sign in to follow this  
StarBucker

Trees add lives to WoV

It wouln't be Vietnam without trees and huts! btw StarBucker what's the name of that tree mod?

It wouln't be Vietnam without trees and huts! btw StarBucker what's the name of that tree mod?

looks like GreenHell1??

GreehHell2 is out now

StarBucker try Green Hell 2 as MigBuster suggests. It has much better look.

Sorry for the late reply. The name of the mod is indeed green hell 1. I also installed Brain32's VietnameSEA repaint mod.

Hey folks, I have a slight off-topic question here hope you would excuse me. Just bout a LG L227WT 22" wide screen which I think it is doing 16:10 aspect ratio. The game supports it I am good with that, the only thing I am getting right now is it has to go up as high as 1680X1050 to get really sharp images. My video card is quite behind today's standard which is a Sapphire X1950Pro 512MB RAM. Before the new monitor, I was actually using a CRT which is only 17" and practically usable as a 15" as you know. With the old CRT, even I do it at 800x600 I get quite sharp images because I use 6xAA 16XAF.

With the new LCD I downgraded it to 1280X800 and then applied the same AA and AF setting, somehow the images are blur if you see what I mean. The images you are seeing up there was generated from my CRT. Is it the "nature" of a LCD monitor which I lose some image qualities as penalty of not using the highest resolution?

Most LCD TFT screens normally have a 'native' resolution setting - basically their optimum setting - and if you set it to other resolutions its likely you will get a worse display from what ive seen

1680X1050 is this LCD's optimum resolution, the game runs with a little less than 60 frames at this resolution with graphics set to medium, I can settle for that. But when I am not playing games say just surf the net, the texts are so small.

In the office, I use a Philips 19S which is a 4:3 19" LCD. It's max resolution is 1280X1024 but at that resolution, texts are much bigger. I think I have purchased a wrong LCD monitor for both gaming and working purposes and wasted $380. :sorry:

I got this GreenHell 2

Something's wrong... Very wrong. You did read the readme?

You shoud extract the contents of the archive to a place of your choice. You'll create folder Green Hell 2 and GH2 readme.txt . Inside of Green Hell 2 you'll find several files and three folders:

High detail, Normal detail and Low detail.

Copy or move ALL files found inside Green Hell 2 folder to your terrain/vietnamsea, overwrite. Then decide which level of detail do you want to try, and copy or move all files found inside of the corresponding folder into VietnamSEA directory, again let overwrite existing files.

That should do it.

EDIT:

Remember to install Brain32's Vietnam repaint BEFORE installing GH2

Edited by CA_Stary

Assuming you have put the files in the right place - Is that the correct terrain you have with it? - does it not need brains repainted tiles - should say in the readme

1680X1050 is this LCD's optimum resolution, the game runs with a little less than 60 frames at this resolution with graphics set to medium, I can settle for that. But when I am not playing games say just surf the net, the texts are so small.

In the office, I use a Philips 19S which is a 4:3 19" LCD. It's max resolution is 1280X1024 but at that resolution, texts are much bigger. I think I have purchased a wrong LCD monitor for both gaming and working purposes and wasted $380. :sorry:

You can increase the text size in the control panel if you go to display then click the appearance tab. Also in internet explorer or firefox you can increase or decrease the font sixe with ctrl- or ctrl+. I hope that helps

You can increase the text size in the control panel if you go to display then click the appearance tab. Also in internet explorer or firefox you can increase or decrease the font sixe with ctrl- or ctrl+. I hope that helps

I have found another issue with this LG L227WT-PF unit is that if I tune down the brightness and contrast at the same time making it "warm" temperature for long hours working, I find the upper half of the display appears to be darker than the lower half of the display and the difference is quite obvious!

If I tune up the settings such that it is very bright, this problem goes away but my eyes are very tired after 30 minutes or so.

Something's wrong... Very wrong. You did read the readme?

You shoud extract the contents of the archive to a place of your choice. You'll create folder Green Hell 2 and GH2 readme.txt . Inside of Green Hell 2 you'll find several files and three folders:

High detail, Normal detail and Low detail.

Copy or move ALL files found inside Green Hell 2 folder to your terrain/vietnamsea, overwrite. Then decide which level of detail do you want to try, and copy or move all files found inside of the corresponding folder into VietnamSEA directory, again let overwrite existing files.

That should do it.

EDIT:

Remember to install Brain32's Vietnam repaint BEFORE installing GH2

Thanks! I tried your method, it works. But the frame rate is very bad on my machine. That's why I believe I need a more powerful CPU and video card.

Good news StarBucker :good:

Try the Low Detail version, also check the Knowledge Base for tips fow to increase performace, there should be some.

Highest impact on framerate have mirrors and shadows, turn them off, also try setting your horizont distance to medium.

Hey CA_Stary,

Great work on Green Hell 2, as usual. However, I'm not sure if Green Hell 2 is coming out the way it's supposed to after I installed. When I fly over "jungle" tiles (Thud Ridge, for example), I'm only seeing the round bushy trees and a lot of bare patches, and none of the palms or more "tropical" looking trees.

I'm running it with the medium install, but I tired the high setting as well and got the BMP's that you see from straight above, but still just of the round bushy looking trees. I'll try and get you a screenshot later, but in the meantime I'd say it looks like a hill side with Oak trees all over it, not a jungle.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks!

*edit* - Also, I just added all the files in on top of my previous Green Hell 1 install. Is that an issue? I should also mention that I'm one of those who uses an integrated graphics card and had to change DST to SRC or whatever it was. I don't know if that might have something to do with it...

*edit* - (again) - Come to think of it, I think I'm also getting the same issue with the Cuba tree mod. After I fixed the SRC thing and got the trees to stop flashing, I was surprised by the lack of a lush jungle, but thought that was just the particular terrain I was flying over. I think now it's the same issue as GH2. I hope this isn't just a problem with my integrated card!!!

Edited by malibu43

Here are some pics:

Thud ridge:

img00003-1.jpg

This looks alright:

img00004.jpg

This looks like thud ridge again:

img00005-1.jpg

I tired messing with MIPMAP and also lowering those values at the very top of the data.ini file for SEA just in case. Still no luck.

A pity is that hardware technologies confine the design of trees to be an "X" shape object. I did choose "Medium" but still my hardware cannot handle well enough.  I can only use Greenhell for the time being!

Some more beautiful screenshots

img00006.jpg

img00005-1.jpg

img00004-1.jpg

img00003-1.jpg

img00002-1.jpg

img00001-2.jpg

I was trying to locate the original Cuba Terrain so i could install it could anyone help me?

It's in the user made campaigns section of downloads

here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=3873

be sure to grab all those beautiful planes requred by OTC 2.0 here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=3874

What do you mean that i have to do a seperate install of WOE. Do i have install the whole game again but in another directory?

A pity is that hardware technologies confine the design of trees to be an "X" shape object. I did choose "Medium" but still my hardware cannot handle well enough.  I can only use Greenhell for the time being!

Even LOMAC, which is probably about the most stunning visual combat flight sim, uses X-type trees.

Unfortunately, this series is like any other flight sim, in that it's only going to get more demanding of hardware, as time goes on. Try lowering our horizon view distance to "normal", and see if that helps.