Sign in to follow this  
Guest pfunkmusik

Working on Japan/China/Korea/Russian Terrain

Guest pfunkmusik

And I need ya'lls opinion on which tileset to use.

pfunk

And I need ya'lls opinion on which tileset to use.

pfunk

...GermanyCE??? :dntknw:

Guest pfunkmusik
...GermanyCE??? :dntknw:

Which is kinda what I thought, too, but I wanted the community's opinion before getting started.

pfunk

See, the problem with using a central european tileset on an east asian map is that there are no terrace farms or rice paddies in central europe.

Guest pfunkmusik
See, the problem with using a central european tileset on an east asian map is that there are no terrace farms or rice paddies in central europe.

Agreed, but my skills in terrain making have not progressed to the point that I can combine tilesets into a custom build.

I'm thinking it's a compromise, that I pick the one that covers the most territory, which seems to be GermanyCE. Has anyone tried to combine tilesets and how do you do it?

pfunk

That would be tough, if we're talking my tiles, they are ofcourse not all in the same tone(limitation of taking textures from Google Earth). However, even if they were in the same tone one would have to create new transition tiles to blend them in properly, otherwise it would look quite messy.

I already made Korea as you can see in Wrench's previews, however again this is way out of tone of my other sets, it's even called Korea Autmn ;)

My best advice would be a whole new tileset made from GE, however as I expirienced on my own skin, creating the whole package (terrain and tiles and targets) is simply overwhelming for one person.

I started Korea one year ago and it's still not finished, although CA_Stary did the trees, if Wrench didn't came in with the targets I don't know if it would ever be finished lol.

This is also why I was thinking about how great would it be to have a dedicated terrain team - you know like "Terrain Factory" LOL. Would simplfy the terrain making a lot and provide more high quality terrains to fly over ;)

Guest pfunkmusik
This is also why I was thinking about how great would it be to have a dedicated terrain team - you know like "Terrain Factory" LOL. Would simplfy the terrain making a lot and provide more high quality terrains to fly over ;)

Now THAT is not a bad idea.

pfunk

Would the Kuril islands and Vladivostok be covered on this map?

Or modifications (ie: renaming) of existing VietnamSEA bmps and tgas and fiddelations to get them to fit. There is obviously a way to get them to work together (renember: I can't tile!!!)

Another thought .... aren't there some snow-capped mountains in one the alternate GermanyCE sets? Those would be nice to use, too. Expecially around the north ends (Hokkaido, Kuriles, Sahkailn (sp?) Vladivostok, etc)

Like Brain said, I really don't think it's possible to one person to make super-detailed maps anymore. Not and have an 'outside life'. As the 'targets guy'...and pfunk can back this up... you can litereally spend an entire day on ONE single target area, trying to dial in those pesky objects

--TOPIC HIJACK AHEAD--

an aside to Brain, any luck with fixing the Korea hm bmps??? I'm kinda at a standstill with things along the coast, until it's flat again...no rush, bro, just curious as to how it's going. There's still plenty of other 'places' for me to add, and the new signs too.

--END TOPIC HIJACK--

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest pfunkmusik
Would the Kuril islands and Vladivostok be covered on this map?

Maybe if I scooted it over a little.

I was trying for a Sino-Russian conflict.

@Wrench - you are more than welcome to submit new planning maps for the Black Sea on one condition...you tell me how you did it.

pfunk

Ugh, I just realized my post was a proper thread hijack so I edited, srry pfunk :doh:

Wrench - check PM

Edited by Brain32

The Desert.cat would be nice but,i think GermanyCE.cat and VietnamSEA.cat is what i would use.IsraelME.cat is the best the MiddleEast Conflicts because of it's graphic friendly to older computers like mine.Of course all of TK's flight sims are ez on graphic cards til the new 9-08 update came out.Then i personally took a hit on fps and only reason i'm complaining is because i'm spoiled.

AMD Athlon[tm] XP 1500+ SP3 Home Edition XP

nVidia 6200 128mb

1.35ghz,512mb of RAM

Don't laugh to much,lost my other computer to IKE!So,beggar's really cannot chose :flood: !

Edited by WDH

Well, they're not the aero-chart kind that look so cool, just VERY old style. But quite workable!

There's a little proggie here called "SFMap" by (IIRC) Keith Bedford. Should be in the utilities section. It reads the targets ini (and possibly either the HFD or TFD or both), ad generates a map, and when you save, it goes to the root of "C" (ie: C:/ ***map1, etc). They need to be resized to their normal 512, 1024 and 2048 sizes, but that's no issue. Irfan or Photoshop or any image manulipitator can do that.

It's the one I've been using on all my stuff -- not a bad piece of code, but just rather generic.

Oh, the best place to install it is in the root directory of the game install. The 3 files are so small, you can have one in each game install. ie:

C/ProgarmFiles/WingsOverEurope/sfmap.exe

something like that. Check compatability too...not remembering, but it should run XPish just fine.

I'll get them uploaded ASAP. Again, they're nothing special; they only show the airfields.

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest pfunkmusik

FYI, ya'll might think this is funny.

I start classes for my video game design Associate Degree of Applied Science at Texas State Technical College in January.

My first semester? I take a class that gives you a introduction to the use of 3DSMax. I get a student copy of the FULL program for a cool $40.

pfunk

Mix of GermanyCE and VietnamSEA

I dunno, China has a wide variety of climates and terrain types.

If you go as far inland as Hunan and Hubei, there are steep, lush forested mountains, further north, you get into desert territory.

The further south and west you go, there is all kinds of farmland.

I'd have to say, you'll need all three types of terrain from the SFP/WOx series. Desert, GermanyCE and VietnamSEA.

You might want to have someone design Chinese ethnic architecture, including high rise buildings for populating your city areas.

That's a brilliant idea Brain.....uh, that kinda sounds like I'm talking to myself....I mean Brain32 :yes:

That's a brilliant idea Brain.....uh, that kinda sounds like I'm talking to myself....I mean Brain32 :yes:

...."the voices in my head, only bother me, when they don't speak English". :rofl: