Sign in to follow this  
Typhoid

Private jumpjet

My only question is how many civilian fields are equipped for STOVL ops? Methinks they may have to fly conventional only. Especially that hot jet blast aimed right at the runway...

what ever happened to that guy that was supposed to get a Harrier from PepsiCo.

Edited by rovert97

My only question is how many civilian fields are equipped for STOVL ops?

Not wishing to be a smart-arse, but all of them! Certainly Yeovilton didn't have anything special when the Sea Harriers were based here, and they used to operate them out of fields in Germany, it's just like a normal jet you just don't need as much tarmac. On the flip side I'm guessing to reduce wear and tear it'd be easier operating it with conventional take-offs and landings. They're basically shaking themselves to bits in the hover, which is why the airframe life for Harriers is shorter than an equivalent conventional jet.

Out of interest do the USMC do much in the way of Harrier displays around the USA?

Edited by SkippyBing

Not wishing to be a smart-arse, but all of them! Certainly Yeovilton didn't have anything special when the Sea Harriers were based here, and they used to operate them out of fields in Germany, it's just like a normal jet you just don't need as much tarmac.

Tell that to RAF Lossiemouth which had large chunks of it's main runway destroyed by 2 Harriers ...

the Harrier jet blast is extremely hot & will affect tarmac if directed down.

Out of interest do the USMC do much in the way of Harrier displays around the USA?

Yes they do. At the recent Miramar airshow, they displayed the Harrier in a mock assault and then they later displayed the Harrier's VTOL capabilities.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Tell that to RAF Lossiemouth which had large chunks of it's main runway destroyed by 2 Harriers ...

the Harrier jet blast is extremely hot & will affect tarmac if directed down.

Sounds like Lossie may have had problems with its runway, certainly the one here is nothing special and the Shars never did any damage to it despite putting down wherever they wanted. There was also the time in the early '80s a Sea Harrier put down and took off from the car park of the BBC Birmingham studio. I'm not saying you can't do damage with a Harrier, more it's the exception rather than the rule, I mean the flight deck of Invincible etc. appear to be made of tin foil and the only damage to that is from the undercarriage impacting on it.

Metal will absorb and dissipate the heat. Runways, however, are paved with hot materials that cool. Subjecting them to heat later can indeed severely damage them.

My guess is he'd not be allowed to do vertical ops very much.