Sign in to follow this  
Rambler 1-1

(*gulp*) downgrading Skyray

well, I was rather excited to see that one of my all-time favorite planes was modded for the TW series, and I was extatic to see that it was Julhelm who put it together. I downloaded with joyus anticipation, but then I found that the aircraft would not bank. I had a hunch that it had something to do with "The Patch", and I was right. I'm running SFP1, so I can't get the sept '08 patch, so the integrated elevators/alerons ("elevons") only controll their primary input, in this case, pitch. Then I saw that there are two elevons on each wing, and I'm thinking that maybe I can modify the contol inputs so that the outer elevons contol roll and the inner ones control pitch. I'm sure I can figure this one out, but I want to be sure that the roll rate (and possibly pitch rate) stay the same.

Anybody happen to know the roll rate for the Skyray? :crazy:

Nope, didn't work. plane still wouldn't roll and moving the stick left and right only made the outer elevons go up and down like before, but they didn't do anything. The inner elevons alone are not enough to effectively controll pitch either, so takeoff distance was doubled and AI just rolled along the ground.

I'm guessing that the function of the outer elevons is somehow linked, and as a result they can't move independently to controll roll. I tried using the aleron stats from the ini of another plane, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions, other than "Go buy WOV"?

The patch for SFP1 will be out soon.

Same frustration here but for another reason, the recent patches which upgrade the WO* series to the WOI standard make my computer to freeze and crash ( just like WOI does, even unpatched) .. yeah frustration :[

You gotta get the rest of the WO series cause they all have great stuff to bring to the party, the WOV missions are cool, the WO Euro is even better, and the WOI is fantastic.

Same frustration here but for another reason, the recent patches which upgrade the WO* series to the WOI standard make my computer to freeze and crash ( just like WOI does, even unpatched) .. yeah frustration :[

Are they doing that stock or when running the HDR wrapper?

Im not trying to badmouth TK and his work, but has anyone inquired as to what his machine specs are and does he consider what the average specs of the machines that the people that buy his products are?

It just seems that developers are designing games/sims for machines that arent even on the market yet. Not everyone can afford a state of the art computer these days, for example, some developers have graphics cards that cost more than my whole system!

EDIT; these are my specs, and luckily Ive not experienced the problems others have, although WoI is a bit choppy,

Computer:

Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

OS Service Pack Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Computer Name 19W588KBB458

User Name Dr. Chandra

Logon Domain 19W588KBB458

Date / Time 2008-10-24 / 10:54

Motherboard:

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2166 MHz (13 x 167) 3000+

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7VM266 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266

System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award Modular (10/06/03)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)

Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (256 MB)

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6200 AGP

Monitor Gateway VX900 [19" CRT]

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device

Storage:

IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Storage Controller MagicISO SCSI Host Controller

Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive ST3100011A (93 GB, IDE)

Disk Drive WDC WD400BB-00AUA1 (37 GB, IDE)

Disk Drive WDC WD400BB-00DEA0 (37 GB, IDE)

Optical Drive ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P

Optical Drive MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000

Optical Drive MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0001

SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Edited by gwar

It doesn't cost that much to build a decent gaming rig.

Gwar,

I hate to say this, but TK's sims are actually very light on the requirements compared to modern games/sims. My computer is 3+ years old now and runs the stock sim in 1920x1200 with all the bells and whistles (except for a few things in 'unlimited') buttery smooth. It's when you start adding stuff that you can get bogged down (CA_Stary's awesome Green Hell 2 for example will KILL your frame rates on the full up version).

FastCargo

There's gonna be a patch for SFP1? I though that the version that's up is the last one they're gonna do!

WOOOHOOO!!!!

FC,

thats why I edited my post with my system specs, compared to you guys im at the low end, but my game installs are basically unmodded, save for a few aircraft and weapons packs, and like I said I havent had the problems most have. (hope I didnt just jinx it!)

There's gonna be a patch for SFP1? I though that the version that's up is the last one they're gonna do!

WOOOHOOO!!!!

There will be one more patch for SFP1 and SFG. TK has hinted that it will probably be the last.

well, by the time the next one comes out, I'll have a new comp that will be able to run WOV or WOE, so I'm not worried.

You need THE WOV.

Some cool NAVY cockpits and the ~top~ stock Thudwire cockpit in the entire series ... F-105.

We don't know how long THE WOV will be available.

Get it NOW.

before its too late.

:biggrin:

If you think you can't run THE WOV on old PC (you can), the Wovesque planes and cockpits can be slipped into THE SF, with some labour. Be creative.

My Specs are pretty bad also...

Pent 4 3.0 Ghz

1 Gig of Ram

Onboard Intel 945G Graphics Chip

1 500 Gig Seagate Barracuda HD

1 200 Gig WD Caviar HD

32bit Vista Home Premium

and I'm running WOE with mods between 15-25 fps most of the time. You should have no problem with a nVidia 6200, but you will need to resize your aircraft skins down to 512x512 or lower to get halfway decent gameplay and turn off the shaders in each terrains data ini, by changing UseEffectShader=TRUE to UseEffectShader=FALSE for the NormalTextureMaterial,WaterTextureMaterial and BackgroundMaterial sections.

Just get a aftermarket paint program (I use Ultimate Paint Freeware) and open each bmp and resize it to 512x512 or 256x256. Don't worry about the TGA files, most of them are small enough not to matter.

I also have FE,WOV and WOI and get Simular FPS in those games, They will not look as pretty but it will work and this is on a onboard gfx chip the 6200 you have should work even better.

It sucks to be at the bottom of the food chain, but there are ways to deal with it. I even have oblivion running on this computer, thanks to Oldblivion!

The patch for SFP1 will be out soon.

Oh... I thought TK wasn't going down that road. Cool. Those Parani types have been oppressing the freedom loving peoples of Dhimar for too long. With this patch, I intend to take the fight to those imperialist Parani lackeys!

My Specs are pretty bad also...

Pent 4 3.0 Ghz

1 Gig of Ram

Onboard Intel 945G Graphics Chip

1 500 Gig Seagate Barracuda HD

1 200 Gig WD Caviar HD

32bit Vista Home Premium

and I'm running WOE with mods between 15-25 fps most of the time. You should have no problem with a nVidia 6200, but you will need to resize your aircraft skins down to 512x512 or lower to get halfway decent gameplay and turn off the shaders in each terrains data ini, by changing UseEffectShader=TRUE to UseEffectShader=FALSE for the NormalTextureMaterial,WaterTextureMaterial and BackgroundMaterial sections.

Just get a aftermarket paint program (I use Ultimate Paint Freeware) and open each bmp and resize it to 512x512 or 256x256. Don't worry about the TGA files, most of them are small enough not to matter.

I also have FE,WOV and WOI and get Simular FPS in those games, They will not look as pretty but it will work and this is on a onboard gfx chip the 6200 you have should work even better.

It sucks to be at the bottom of the food chain, but there are ways to deal with it. I even have oblivion running on this computer, thanks to Oldblivion!

pentium 4? (3 times the speed of my celeron)

1 gig? (twice what I have)

Intel graphics (well, I at least have an aftermarket ATI Radeon 9250)

700 gigs of storage? (I have 20!)

well, at least I don't have vista.... XP 2002 forever! or at least untill I can get 2004 pro...

I run a very lightly modded SFP1 (3 add-on planes and weapons pack) with the above system in 800x600x16 resolution with everything at minimums (exept for cockpit detail, object texture and detail at medium) and I get 15-20 FPS, going down to a chunky 10 at times. All my add-on skins are halved in size, thanks to Microsoft Paint!

However, I have a deal, and when we finally get our new house I'm getting a new computer. $1000 is the spending limit, but after this rig, anything else seems like the HAL 9000.

My problem is that If I download too much, SF will just not run, and since our household rules prohibit paying for things via credit card over the internet (for now...) there's not much I can do. I'm gonna go blow up some low-res MiGs now in my low-res F-11.