I was testing out some different terrains with the new patch, and I noticed this little error on some terrains. I do not blow up on the runway, or anything like that. The textures for the runways do not show up until I am several feet off the ground. Can anyone tell me what causes this, and how to fix it?

On the ground....

img00006.jpg

About 1000 feet of view.....

img00007.jpg

This happens on some terrains, and not others. VERY WEIRD!

Anyone have any ideas????

Warren

I see the problem...you're flying a helicopter. :haha:

(Sorry, I can't actually be useful here.)

Edited by gbnavy61

I see the problem...you're flying a helicopter. :haha:

(Sorry, I can't actually be useful here.)

There's alot of "us" out here that like and fly helicopters!What's your point?Modders work hard on making those helicopters and don't like it when someone boost there opinions about people's personal preferences.

WombRaider,try adjusting your graphics far and near views to see if this improves.

The terrain is not flattened for the runway. It seems to be, that some terrains which whad no problems before latest patches now show this problem you mention. My Israel2 terrain is one of this examples. I dont know why it happen. Normaly it should not, but it does.

Well, it is a little HS-14 skin and DATA update project I was working on for the SH-60F. I have also done some good editing to the UH-1H gunship as well! Having Helos in the game is nice, something else to shoot at that flies ;) Variety is the spice of life......

Gepard....

Can I flatten them, or is an pain in the ass to do so?

ALSO...Your MI-24 Hind 'Dora' has a FLEXIBLE_GUN, but it only engages air targets! Is there not a way to adjust things so that you can have an automated gunner for helos like the AH-1, and the Huey gunship? I tried setting the target type on the gunner, and such, to no avail!

Edited by WombRaider

For those that want it, here is the updated DATA INIs, and the skins/decals for the HS-14 bird. She looks pretty nice. 2 downloads, 1 is a picture, the other is the paint. YOU WILL NEED THE WHOLE AIRCRAFT FROM CAPUN'S SITE. All I did was upload textures, 2 ini's, and some self made decals. No LODs are included. Just extract the zip to the root of your sim, overwrite when asked about the data.ini, and the loadout.ini. You might want to have bunyaps weapon pack installed. OCT08b certified ;)

Warren

post-24714-1225921535_thumb.png

SH_60F_HS_14.zip

WombRadier,

I am not a terrain expert (Gepard does fantastic work) but I recommend you get a copy of Terrain Editor. Load up the terrain files ***.HFD & ***.TFD. Go to EDIT, select smooth height field and then select level airbase. That should solve the problem.

KRFRGE

Terrain flattening for runways (or lack of it) is one cause of this type of problem. If your terrain worked fine before the Oct 08 patch, and now you are seeing that issue, then it is to do with the changes to the way terrain tile_HM.bmp files are handled. This has been discussed at length in the "Official Sept/Oct 08" patch threads, but the solution seems less than straightforward.

I have noticed, after the patch, when flying CAS missions on Gepard's excellent Isreal2 terrain, the tanks are sometimes under the ground, or sunk in up to their turrets. Are you seeing anything like that?

Here is a bit better VTOL data.ini I have been also working on, if you want it.

Now, is there any straight forward way to fix this? I guess I might try using the terrain editor and see what happens. Funny thing is, when I tried to replicate this again, I only saw it happen once or twice. Testing out skins and stuff has me reloading the game a lot. I actually spend more time jacking with this game, then I do flying it.

Warren

Edited by WombRaider

As to Isreal2, have you gotten the complete rebuild I posted a few weeks ago??? Fixes the "subermerged" tanks and other silliness. (one wonders, however, if these armored units aren't something like Sherman DDs??? :haha: )

And, yes, it's all caused by the patch.

As to flattening airfields in the TE, don't forget you MUST have the complete **cities.ini for that terrain. Otherwise, it just a one-handed exercise. Without the cities ini, you'll probably destroy the TFD and/or HFD. Trust me on this...had some "experience" with this on some of the WW2 map upgrades (what a nightmare that was to figure out!!)

As to the Hind gunners not engaging ground targets, that's how just how it is...NO gunner will engage a ground target; the coding is only for 'selfprotection' (ala turrets on B-17 or Betty)

Wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench
added the "out" to "without" ooopppssy!

"Otherwise, it just a one-handed exercise"

- that is going on the quote board...