Sign in to follow this  
MaverickMike

Landing while damaged

Have any of you guys tried turning off the engine before touching down... like at final? I noticed that keeps things from blowing up.

Iwas on a mission over Kep AB NV, I took some lead in the ole kester during a low pass witch inturn made the scooter into a flying paper waite, I extended the gear and my left main was gone didn' want to punch out so i rode her down to the ground

after a little Bump n Grind she came to stop by this nice tree while waiting for the limousine ride to the Hanoi hilton hotel I snapped off a few pics of my ship mates having a little fun!!

hi guys

Thanks for the replies. I have all settings as hard apart from hud and targetting

that landing with a vulcan after being hit by an sa2 is brilliant. Nice flying!

Mike

OK, once more, different vieuwpoints....

Aju, Derk :wink:

post-2878-1236885987_thumb.jpg

post-2878-1236886006_thumb.jpg

Iwas on a mission over Kep AB NV, I took some lead in the ole kester during a low pass witch inturn made the scooter into a flying paper waite, I extended the gear and my left main was gone didn' want to punch out so i rode her down to the ground

after a little Bump n Grind she came to stop by this nice tree while waiting for the limousine ride to the Hanoi hilton hotel I snapped off a few pics of my ship mates having a little fun!!

Should've punched out and not let the enemy recover a whole aircraft. :biggrin:

Took A winder up the tailpipe. Lost engine power about 10nm from base. Rudder was shot but the slab was still there and I lost one flapperon. I made it back but the landing the was pretty touchy. The only reason I glided that far was because I lit the burner a ways out and went super right as the engine caught fire. I was able to put it out and flew it in with the seat of my pants. The most fun I have had in a landing yet.

Generally speaking for me, if I have relative control, I'm not on fire, and the gear lock then I try to take her home. Once I had a Mig-21 that lost engine power and the rudder, somehow I kept her flying straight for 10 minutes, then she started to spin like a football and then proceeded to stall and tumble. I bugged out.

post-41761-1236918364_thumb.jpg

Edited by zmatt

It depends on how realistic it is, but with landing gear available you can normally get you bird down in one piece just about anywhere except in real mountainous country or water. A road is a very nice alternative if you can't reach a runway.

Over enemy territory I would punch out in order to deny the enemy a more or less intact plane...(and in real life your chance to escape looks a lot better)

Hou doe,

Derk :smile:

Edited by Derk

I landed a Spitfire once with one of the main landing gear gone in the BoB mod. I don't know what settings I had though, probably "normal" as I usually leave most things on that. I think? It's been a while since I've changed any of that. Funny thing is, it probably would have been more historically realistic if I had just bailed out!