Sign in to follow this  
Stary

DESERT / ISRAEL2 ground environment update

DESERT / ISRAEL2 ground environment update

DESERT / ISRAEL 2 ground environment update ("tree mod")

Should work with any maps using default SFP1/SFG desert tileset in jet titles from the series. In all cases you'll have to use the desert.cat or manually extract and move the tiles from desert.cat to your terrain folder.

Not tested with the "desert replacement tileset"! Should work, but objects placement will be slightly incorrect.

I like the short grass at the airfields. Gives them a rustic, unmaintained airfield. Though, at a few Desert (SPF1) airfields, there are a few large trees in the runway and on the taxi ways.

I like the short grass at the airfields. Gives them a rustic, unmaintained airfield. Though, at a few Desert (SPF1) airfields, there are a few large trees in the runway and on the taxi ways.

I wanted to give them such effect, thanks!

Have you copied the desert1.tod and desert2.tod files from the desert folder? These are different than the Israel2 versions, have no objects on them (apart that short grass).

Edited by CA_Stary

:bowdown2:

Looks suberb!!!

Great work again,with the new viewlistini,

its a blast to fly.

Thank,s

Two notes:

Gepards Israel 2 comes with alternative "smooth" HFD heightmap. I strongly recommend using it with this mod.

Also there's second version of the Israel 2 data.ini with tile height map set to zero -this eliminates the objects dissapearing in ground, but reduces dunes in desert and some other features given by using high numbers for tile specific heightmaps.

This is a great enhancement!

As I always have something to complaint :wink: : you have any idea how I can remove these green cross-like objects that are placed occasionally.

I get a rundll32 error when i try to fly israel 2 terrain a CTD and then I can fly don`t know what causes this?!

76.IAP-Blackbird, there are two possible solutions:

1) Try changing the flightengine.ini [GraphicsSettings] as per KB:

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=16384

MaxIndexCount=32768

MaxTextureCount=16384

MaxModelType=2048

MaxMeshPerScene=2048

MaxModelPerScene=4096

MaxLightPerScene=1024

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

and if you've already did this with no luck, open your Israel 2_data.ini and reduce these values:

RenderMeshVertexCount=8192 //4096

RenderMeshIndexCount=12288 //6144

SolidObjectVertexCount=8192 //4096

SolidObjectIndexCount=12288 //6144

AlphaObjectVertexCount=4096 //2048

AlphaObjectIndexCount=6144 //3072

to their original lower values listed after "//"

@gerwin:

Set your anisotropic filtering to higher level, seems to be mipmapping bug, or please post here a screenshot of such anomaly so I can verify the cause

Ok everyone, try these settings, they give nice soft trees without white outlines of any kind, and slightly fades trees in the distance, looks very naturally

[AlphaObjectTextureMaterial]

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

RenderedInOrder=FALSE

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

CullMode=NO_CULL

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

ZBufferOffset=2.000000

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA <--- this is important

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE <--- set mipmaps to TRUE for blending to work

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_BLEND_TEXTURE_ALPHA <--- this is very important! New variable that introduces fading

With above I recommend using DetailMeshsize=8 or greater to have the trees fading with distance/wide FOV angle.

@Gerwin: the above settings should help you

Edited by CA_Stary

I like the short grass at the airfields. Gives them a rustic, unmaintained airfield.

Are they supposed to be on runways as well?

Are they supposed to be on runways as well?

Canadair, you want the no grass version? Or you have trees or bushes placed wrongly too?

Canadair, you want the no grass version? Or you have trees or bushes placed wrongly too?

I have trees and bushes placed worngly, yes sir

I too have just one airfield using Israel 2 terrain (and your specific trees for that terrain) where the trees show up on the runway. Other than that, I love the mod (and I just ignore the trees).

Thanks for this mod Stary! :smile:

@Canadair, Panama Red:

The reason may be that IIRC one airbase in Israel (Tel Nof or Ben Gurion?) extends over the empty green "airfiels" tiles into farms, placing few farmland-specific objects (trees, bushes) on runway or texiways. The best way would be moving the base a bit... I'll see what can be done about it.

With above I recommend using DetailMeshsize=8 or greater to have the trees fading with distance/wide FOV angle.

@Gerwin: the above settings should help you

Thanks a lot, suprisingly these settings in the Desert_Data.ini fixed it, I a cannot find any green crosses anymore. Also the trees now appear anti-aliased or something, which makes them less pixelated without much framerate loss. I might try out these settings for other terrains as well, because it works well.

Thanks a lot, suprisingly these settings in the Desert_Data.ini fixed it, I a cannot find any green crosses anymore. Also the trees now appear anti-aliased or something, which makes them less pixelated without much framerate loss. I might try out these settings for other terrains as well, because it works well.

Yes, they use filtering and mipmappimg making them less jagged. The settings I podted here and in other topic are my fav now. I thing the green crosses were caused by some mipmaping issues, good it solved now :good:

CA_Stary:

When I spotted trees on the runway last night during a test mission, I backed up and checked the airfield and it said that it was "Sde Dov", if that helps.

Panama Red

Edited by Panama Red

CA_Stary:

When I spotted trees on the runway last night during a test mission, I backed up and checked the airfield and it said that it was "Sde Dov", if that helps.

Panama Red

Thanks, will check what can be done to easily solve the problem.

Ok, I think this should solve the problem:

Panama Red was right, it's the Sde Dov airfield extending into "kibuz.bmp" tile, causing the few palms to appear on ramp and runway runway.

So, here's an updated .TOD file for this particular tile with those nasty three or four plants moved back:

Just drop into your terrain/Israel2 folder and overwrite.

Love this terrain mod. Adds a much needed feature to liven up the old desert terrain. Thanks!

-S