Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBV

Falklands War pilots

Greetings everyone!

I'm making a Falklands War-era pilot pack for both Argentine and British forces. They are basically re-skins of AmokFloo's outstanding modern pilot models, which I chose because they are simply great and work just fine for what I'm going to do. Even helmet types match closely the real ones for pilots on both sides :biggrin:

I'm using this image as a basic reference as well as the few pictures I could find:

pilotsag8.jpg

Here's a WIP on the British Royal Navy Sea Harrier driver. Basic anti-G suit is done (with the exception of some minor details that still require further tweaking), as well as details on the oxygen mask, visor and such. Since both British and Argentine pilots had Western-type anti-G equipment, all I need to do is make a basic flight suit, anti-G trousers and survival vest and change colours accordingly. Very simple but will make pilots look like individuals:

sharpilot0di3.jpg

Adding shoulder squadron badges is proving difficult as I'm still trying to figure out how the model is mapped, but will get that sorted out sooner or later, don't worry:

sharpilot1iq6.jpg

The original skin colour was a bit "pale", so I used a real RAF pilot photo for adjusting the colour skin tone (you can't say this isn't as real as it gets, can you? :yes: ):

sharpilot3hr0.jpg

sharpilot4sy8.jpg

The goal is to have every pilot for each of the individual squadrons on both sides skinned, so you can have Sea Harriers, Daggers, Skyhawks, Super Etèndards and so on with individual custom pilots.

Edited by ChrisBV

Great effort!

This may be seen as super-nitpicking, but the oxygen mask on the pilot looks to me like a modern US MBU 20/p combat-edge type, and the correct UK pilot from 1982 would have worn a P or Q-type UK mask. Both have hoses to the left side of the mask, so the MBU 20/p is a fairly good match from a distance, but looks wrong close-up.

See: http://www.gentexcorp.com/default.aspx?pageid=227 and http://www.flightgear.dk/rafhelmets.htm

Sorry, I'm a flight gear buff :blush:

Edited by crl848

For the British pilot,you can add the DanteJt great one included on Marcfighters Mil Mi-8!!!!It depicts really a brit pilot with Alpha helmet!And it will be the future standard JetThunder pilot on Sea Harriers!

Sorry, I'm a flight gear buff :blush:

:rofl:

Don't apologise. I thank your for your input :good: :yes:

X RAY, I tried using Dante's pilot but... I don't know, it just didn't work for me. I hope you don't mind but I chose to stick with AmokFloo's pilot models. I know the British pilot is not 100% accurate but I think it falls within a reasonable margin, so I'm using it. Besides, I have already finished it and it doesn't look too bad, does it?

shpilotox3.jpg

Here's a minor update on some of the Argentine pilots (for the M5 Dagger, in this case):

daggerpilot1sl0.jpg

daggerpilot2gp8.jpg

Still lot of work needed on this one but it's a start :rolleyes:

I know the British pilot is not 100% accurate but I think it falls within a reasonable margin, so I'm using it. Besides, I have already finished it and it doesn't look too bad, does it?

It looks great, go for it.

:rofl:

Don't apologise. I thank your for your input :good: :yes:

X RAY, I tried using Dante's pilot but... I don't know, it just didn't work for me. I hope you don't mind but I chose to stick with AmokFloo's pilot models. I know the British pilot is not 100% accurate but I think it falls within a reasonable margin, so I'm using it. Besides, I have already finished it and it doesn't look too bad, does it?

shpilotox3.jpg

Here's a minor update on some of the Argentine pilots (for the M5 Dagger, in this case):

daggerpilot1sl0.jpg

daggerpilot2gp8.jpg

Still lot of work needed on this one but it's a start :rolleyes:

was only an imput!your works looks great!

was only an imput!

Yeah, I know, thank you! :good:

your works looks great!

Thanks!

any ETA?

Soon... I hope :rofl:

A week, perhaps?

Yeah, I know, thank you! :good:

Thanks!

Soon... I hope :rofl:

A week, perhaps?

Thanks!

Please, don't ever put the number "2" and the word "week" in same sentence

ATgAAAB6Q7Enrat2r1s542FEYw60Y29kYnfVs_4V2FScdrHy5IGB5IJXR1FitSlIhPG5VJTIHZK5G5cuvdvPYMsrkDeHAJtU9VDiFclvA62wh2NmYt7sxX6mIKYiaw.jpg

Please, don't ever put the number "2" and the word "week" in same sentence

I wouldn't dare :biggrin:

I took a little time off from the pilot works to do some weapon skins. I got the new weapons pack by the SF/WO* community and I must say IT'S AWESOME!!!! I got a few weapons from it for the Falklands theatre (for the British forces) and did some skinning work on them:

AIM-9L (Lima):

aim9l01ja7.jpg

aim9l02ph1.jpg

ooopssss... :blush:

aim9l03pz5.jpg

AIM-9G (Golf):

aim9g01xy6.jpg

aim9g02pl4.jpg

aim9g03iv9.jpg

GBU-123/B (1000 pound Brit Paveway II LGB):

gbu123b02cb8.jpg

gbu123b03gd7.jpg

gbu123b04br9.jpg

I also think I finally got the double 'winder launcher thing properly sorted out:

doublewinderea0.jpg

The skins are based upon original artwork by JanHas (a fellow Falcon 4.0 simmer and modder some of you may know; he's the true artist, not me), so I need to ask him for permission to release them.

Anyway, back to the pilots, it is. Expected release date: within a week (and a few days, give or take... maybe 2, maybe 7, maybe 30, who knows :biggrin: ).

nothing bad!

damn, i can't wait! :nono:

this lima is the R-13M make by krizis(model)?

ooopssss... :blush:

aim9l03pz5.jpg

hahaha you should put this one up in the screenshot thread, its an amazing shot :good::biggrin::good:

ChrisBV, those graphics are amazing!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments! :good:

I made two extra weapons for the Argentine forces this time, the R550 Magic I air-to-air missile:

magic01es0.jpg

magic02yl4.jpg

... and the deadly AM39 Exocet air-to-surface missile:

exocet1pl2.jpg

exocet2od1.jpg

I shall be uploading the weapons in the next couple of days while I finish working on the pilots.

It seems I owe X-RAY an apology :yes:

Dante-TJ's pilot is absolutely PERFECT, I just couldn't find out how it was mapped - and discarded it because of that - but after trying for a few hours, this is what I came up with:

britpilotwipxc6.jpg

I see the oxygen mask is mapped but not active in the LOD, is it still there as a disabled part of the LOD or is it missing altogether? I'd love to see this model with the mask on :rolleyes:

X-RAY, I hope you accept a fool's apology for having doubted.

It seems I owe X-RAY an apology :yes:

Dante-TJ's pilot is absolutely PERFECT, I just couldn't find out how it was mapped - and discarded it because of that - but after trying for a few hours, this is what I came up with:

britpilotwipxc6.jpg

I see the oxygen mask is mapped but not active in the LOD, is it still there as a disabled part of the LOD or is it missing altogether? I'd love to see this model with the mask on :rolleyes:

X-RAY, I hope you accept a fool's apology for having doubted.

Apologies?Why?

Don't worry Chris it was just to earn you precious time!

The Dante jt pilot,try to see Jet Thunder section,is made for the new game,he released for Marcelo Hip this version without oxy mask,it is a good base for Raf,British Army and RN helo pilots too!

the new game version will came,seen screenies with mask on and vizor lowered!

I'm waiting a good Brit pilot too!

In all my game's english planes I've selected Dante Jt's and Craigbierley's typhoon pilot (another good choice)-optimum for swedish fighters too FFV helmet looks closer to Alphas!

Your new weps skins are a piece of art,go for it!!!!!

Good work Chris! :good:

exelente Chris! :clapping:

they watch Argentine parachute (with the rubber boat)

Torno este mod tenes que compartirlo!!

Torno you must share this mod!!

Torno este mod tenes que compartirlo!!

Torno you must share this mod!!

patience that in that I am working if it watches the contours well estan half thicknesses and I must learn to use the tool of the threshold of fothoshop

this the origuinal model JPEG and tga if some wants to modify the origuinal so that it is cut better has my permission

Edited by torno