Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

9 POTA (9th company Die neunte Kompanie)

A russian movie that never found its way into german cinemas is now out on DVD.

Its a Afghanistan story. I think its worth to have a look on it.

It was on TV a few months ago - I thought it was a great film and bought it on DVD the next week. It's supposed to be based on real events, but I'm not sure how closely.

Is this the movie where they get mostly killed while in reality they lost only 2 men (or a close fugure)?

Personally I liked "The Beast" (or "The Beast of War" released in Europe), story of a Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094716/

Recently picked up "Aquarium", a Polish produced movie about GRU spy "Victor Suvorov" (Vladimir Rezun). Those familiar with the book "Inside the Aquarium" will like the flick, it follows the book nicely (wish more of the storyline detailed his experiences with Spetsnaz). Available on e-bay with English subtitles.

Otherwise there are a few decent documentaries on YouTube about Soviet weapons and the Soviet-Afghan war.

Yours, Mike

I read some books of 'Suvorov' they are correctly written and contain (sometimes) faithful facts, but on the whole it is PROPAGANDA books, created at the direct order of enemies of SOVIET UNION, My Countrty, countries in which I lived a half life.

I don't like betrayers like 'Suvorov".

And not which case these books can not be considered the 'Historical documents'.

In relation to the '9-th POTA' cinema - it is a beautiful film but he can not be considered a historical document. Actually, events in a film take place in 1988, on an airplane shootdowned in the cinema in Kabul Airport was shootdowned in 1986 year, the 9-th companie of VDV lost a 32 man in 1980 year, they took ground not in a that place...

I read some books of 'Suvorov' they are correctly written and contain (sometimes) faithful facts, but on the whole it is PROPAGANDA books, created at the direct order of enemies of SOVIET UNION, My Countrty, countries in which I lived a half life.

Maybe, but for me its something other than propaganda created by enemies of POLAND, which I see in popular polish commercial media like newspapers or TV.

I watched Katyn movie, it's GREAT film, of course it's a bit tendentious, but NOT PROPAGANDA.

Nevertheless this film does 'not poppular' in Russia.

Everybody is foremost the citizen of the country, we can not live in a vacuum and ignore majority opinion.

C'est la vie..

lindr,

Have you read Suvorov's book?

http://militera.lib.ru/research/suvorov10/index.html

Yours, Mike

...fairy-tale for children ....based on the real facts which are specially neat so that to create visibility of veracity of false conception.

Facts are not suitable under conception throw-away.

Classic PROPAGANDA METODIC. Like all 'Suvorov' books.

I periodically read 'Soldier of fortune' the Russian military magazine, there many flashbacks of veterans of different wars are without censorship.

REAL Histories the described there can frighten truly...

Edited by lindr2

I don't like betrayers like 'Suvorov.

Funny you should say that. It makes me recall something similar he said in "Inside the Aquirium". About one of his informants, how if he could he would make a camp full of of informants and forget to feed them.

lindr,

So, Suvorov being a former GRU agent is full of BS? Yeah right.

Feel free to dispute the content of his books.

Given the fact that I worked in locations in USAFE specifically targeted by Spetsnaz, the VDV, and DDR FJ, Suvorov's information was quite relative and resulted in upgrades to our facilities.

Yours, Mike

Rheinland Pfalz, '88-'92

Edited by Mike463

Sorry to jack and deter this thread but since we are talking Russian/Afghanistan flicks...has anyone seen the flick called "THE BEAST" about a T-72 unit in that region with one of the Baldwin guys ? Awesome movie.

Sorry to jack and deter this thread but since we are talking Russian/Afghanistan flicks...has anyone seen the flick called "THE BEAST" about a T-72 unit in that region with one of the Baldwin guys ? Awesome movie.

Atreides,

Yup, discussed "The Beast" a few entries up. Even though it's fiction it's still a great flick.

Another favorite is "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich".

"Enemy at the Gates" was pretty good (I have a MN-91 w/PO scope, go figure).

I'm sure there are a few excellent Soviet and Russian flicks out there, only problem is they don't get translated with English subtitles.

Oh yeah, USSR related flick- "Doctor Zhivago"

Yours, Mike

Edited by Mike463

I'm sure there are a few excellent Soviet and Russian flicks out there, only problem is they don't get translated with English subtitles.

But on the plus side apparently theyre not as worried about on-set safety and I remember a few scenes in Stalingrad where concussion from an artillery round raised dust right beside an occupied trench. I think that was real, and I dont think they could have gotten away with that here in the States.

Ofcourse youd be right saying the Soviets dont loose sleep over safety either. :)

lindr,

Suvorov's information was quite relative and resulted in upgrades to our facilities.

Rheinland Pfalz, '88-'92

If that IMPUDENT SLANDER on SOVIET ARMY and SOVIET special TROOPS was a true, 'Suvorov' a long ago would be dead. However much he living still...

WHY?

Because KGB did not HUNT ON CLOWNS!

I'm sorry, but I do not want anymore to talk about this BETRAYER...

Guys. Sorry to jump in, but we are not going to get into the subject of "the forbidden p-word", if anything. So yeah, hold your horses.

Because KGB did not HUNT ON CLOWNS!

Former KGB haven't killed him yet like Litvinyenko, because he is not dangerous for them.

He is only searching interesting facts in archives, and he know how KGB worked.

So yeah, hold your horses.

But now OK I won't write about It anymore.

Edited by az12121

If that IMPUDENT SLANDER on SOVIET ARMY and SOVIET special TROOPS was a true, 'Suvorov' ...

I dont ever remember him slandering the Soviet Army. Talking about alcoholism, corruption, cronyism, and communism being bad yes but the idea I took away from reading his books was that while not the most efficient or technically savy Soviet troops were some hard SOB's that you didnt want to tangle with. Now admittedly the whole connection between penal battalions and Spetznatz I always thought was weird but now I know when somebody pushes me inside a tent and theres a white towel on the ground I better wipe my feet on it! :)

But seriously his quote of : "If he dies then he is no good for Spetnatz" pretty much sums it up. These are guys you want to fight beside not against.

There are a few interesting Soviet Afghan videos here-

(some surprising comments about the lack of preparation in the Army)

http://www.ruswar.com/

Interview with Spetsnaz veteran about his Afghanistan experiences-

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archi...hp/t-13546.html

Formerly secret CIA video explaining collapse of USSR-

Yours, Mike