well, FB generates the leads. and some good pics for aircraft types

when you got a specific thing to look up,  its alway Google :biggrin:

Posted (edited)

Yup and I'm trying to be pollitic in saying that I've been skinning for 24 or so years, Googling isn't a new concept my friend. I may not use it as much as some people, but I do use it, only when doing things that interest me (and bookmarking the USN official site for photos on occasion). So while I don't research as much as some people, I do know how to do it.

Edited by EricJ

ok oof. wasnt suggesting you dont know how to google

a majority of my online experience anywhere is something pops on FB, im then on google seeing what the hell theyre talking about. could be a new missile, could be who died now or lost a piece of their ear. i didnt mean to imply anything

lets just agree the new missile's lookin good in game

Ahh okay, my bad on misinterpreting you then.

Not my video, but a test of dtmdragon's AIM-174B:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's a quick and dirty test. and firing and hitting the target wasn't too hard really. But here's a quick video of me shooting down a target drone with the missile by dtmdragon.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

After some soul-searching and a quick Google search, the Growler to the best of my knowledge doesn't have an internal jammer like the rest of the Super Hornets. Which is fine, so I decided to remove it and make the player depend on the pods, which apparently work (or as best as they can). That means that jamming a radar is at best what it is. I don't know the performance of the real system unfortunately (and no, I won't ask because they won't tell me anyway) against an SA-10 radar. This short video shows the effectiveness and the range at 10,000ft of it detecting me and strobing me:

• Like 4

Just as a note, I'm going to have to up the power of the pods a bit, to give it some reasonable amount of oomph to jam radars. The target is the SA-10 radar, as that's the most powerful. Given that it's a pod I need to keep it "realistic" because it's a pod, I may stick with the 190.0 value that I have now. It gave some more power and increased the amount of power from the last video, but not much. I'll post a video later on, but wanted to get it out there, but that may be as far as realism of the power of the pod at least. I don't know if the game increases with more than one pod (I'm using the USN standard configuration, three pods, two tanks, and two HARMs), but from what I see, probably not.

Well, I found out that the max value (pretty sure) is a power of 200.0 for the jammer pods. I cranked it up to 250.00 and the jammer didn't do anything, so I'm guessing 200 as it did work fine. Not as well as it should maybe, but it jams to a certain distance, then the radar overpowers it and can be locked up. What's interesting is that the F/A-18F that uses the new values, can get closer to the radar (SA-10 was used) than with the pods. So it looks like that the internal jammers work better than the pods. Maybe because of the ability to produce more power, I don't know, but that's TK's and Co.'s reasoning I suppose within the game environment. And given again that I don't know how effective jammers are in the real world, it's just speculation on my part on what the pods should do when carried by aircraft. Note that I'm just using the ALQ-99s for the Growler, the inbuilt ones for testing, again a typical configuration with three pods, two tanks, and two HARMs. So it is what it is with the Growler on the game front.

Here's what the internal jammer on an F/A-18EF will look like for Block II and IIIs. I reduced the power of the internal jammer and it coincides with the Growler. I don't know why I can't make the jammers more powerful on the Growler (I would think to provide EW protection, it would have to have the power to do so, even in game) as I think I'm at "max" value for the podded jammers. Anyway here's the test value on my personal jet against the SA-10 Radar. I forgot who made it, but overall this is what the internal jammer will do. It seems fairly reasonable for a fighter to have that effect (If I didn't jam it would have locked me up as soon as I took off from the carrier, so it does work, just not how it used to in previous videos and iterations of the coding and the like).

• Like 2

Here is the current (new) setting for the Super Hornets, Block II and III:

[ECM]
ReferenceName=AN/ALQ-214v5
SystemType=ECM_JAMMER
JammerType=DUAL_MODE
JammerStrength=100.0
MinFreq=2.0
MaxFreq=20.0
CanJamCW=TRUE
MinExtentPosition=-0.404,-2.859,0.608
MaxExtentPosition=0.404,-0.824,1.018

And updated ALQ99G pod

ALQ99G.7z

• Thanks 1

Also the adjusted ALQ-99- H and L versions.

Weapons.7z

• Like 1

I brought up the request to GKABS and should be done. Overall it'll be just as powerful as the ALQ-99s given game limitations.

• Like 2