Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Problems with shadows

I just reinstalled a Korea installation for lat patch on SF and get shadows problems with two planes.

img00001-2.jpg

img00002-1.jpg

Any idea of how to solve it?

Go into each aircraft's folder and delete the .shd file. With the later patches a shadow LOD isn't needed.

Quick (and mostly wrong) answers to give you ideas on how to solve (or not) the problems :

a) The new WoX patches change the shadow system for an upgrade of the one used in WoI, you should disable lines refering to .SHD files in the planes .INI, and delete the .SHD themselves as they now serve no purpose. (note: with the new system this step might not be required, I just haven't played with it yet, it just worked that way with pre-patch WoI)

b) Some models have tiny faults (open faces, holes etc...), which create problems for the shadow engine when it calculates how to project shadows.

If I were to take an uneducated guess, I'd say the first picture is case b) while the second is more along case a)

Problems due to a) can be solved by INI editing.

Problems due to b) can't be solved easily (unless someone "corrects"* the model).

DISCLAIMER : I probably am wrong...

Slightly off-topic, but has the "patching" (placing a piece using the pilot method inside the model to "patch" the hole without having to have the source) approach of solving these issues been tested succesfully ?

Edited by Gunrunner

Yes, it can be done that way Gunrunner. Just build an ini file for the 'patch' and set it to show at the same distance as the aircraft you are patching.

FC

I erased the shadow files and all works ok now. Thank's!

The Mustang has known shadow issues...it was never built with one in mind.

(which was covered, IIRC, in the "Things You Need To UPdate Thread", and in one of the WoI Thread)

Wrench

kevin stein