Sign in to follow this  
Uriah

Fantastic new terrains?

Experiment with Small Fort (Useful for Verdun and Vogesen map).

Is not that 100% realistic, but..(*.lod= Tower from BOB map).

post-36703-1248469049_thumb.jpg

post-36703-1248469018_thumb.jpg

What is your opinion?

Jan (Honza) :rolleyes:

Nice Eye-Candy!! (looking a little bit strange for the first view :blink: )

But it is a nice idea.

Waiting for more :biggrin:

Grettings!

Looks great. One thing only -the aerodromes shouldn't stick out from the surrounding fields that much IMO. But it's subjective.

Hey Jan Tuma

You are building a super set of tiles that may be applied to all the existing Terrain Mods, correct? I can hardly wait.

Tailspin is complaining, in a parallel thread, about the repetition that overly detailed tiles would bring to a terrain tiles set. IMHO, your tiles rival the terrain in OFF which is quite good. Your tiles do not appear to checker-board in the high altitute shot, but they appear quite random. They don't seem to be as photo realistic as Edward's Flanders terrain but they do look very pleasing none the less.

OlPaint01

Awww...I wouldn't call it complaining. :biggrin: I'm just trying to point out some of the things you can run into with the limitations of the terrain tiling system (things I've seen in the past) and what I personally think about what some people believe to be "accurate" compared to the "real thing". They are just my opinions. Not worth any more or less than anyone else's. I'd actually like to see more folks get involved in making constructive comments about what they like and why. PeterO1 released a campaign not long ago that has all kinds of goodies in it that enhance single mission play as well. He got exactly ONE comment. I find that....well, I'm not quite sure what to think. Without input from the community how does a modder know what he's doing is good or bad? How can a modder improve upon what he does if all he gets is silence or the standard "thank you" without any other input? Everyone seems apprehensive about disagreeing or making other suggestions. Given the past history of this forum, is some of that my fault? Could be. Thats one reason I quit moderating. I don't want my comments to carry any more weight than anyone else. I'm just another guy with a healthy interest in WWI air combat and I see the potential this sim offers. Thats all. :yes:

I'm going to download Jan's terrain with the same anticipation and appreciation as anyone. I may also make a comment or two regarding what I like or don't like about it. I don't consider that complaining. To be honest I can't tell too much about the overall look and "feel" yet from the couple of screen shots provided and I won't know for sure until I see it in the game. :smile:

Tailspin

I want to apologize for my over-zealous comment in the previous post. I highly respect your opinions and value your incite and contributions to FE. I guess the point I am trying to make is that we need to make a genuine effort to spruce up the bland terrains that TK has given us to fly over. Several individuals in our community are already applying their skills to the effort and I applaud and salute them for it. Max 188's mod has the detail that is greatly need in all the seasonal sets. I appreciate the huge task involve building and then tweaking a grid of terrain tiles to appear seamless. I got frustrated trying to do that myself and shelved my efforts until I get inspired again. I can say that TK's scenery covers the ground but it is not alive. Neoqb's ROF scenery has lots of exquisite details but is appears flat at altitude. Winder's OFF landscape IMHO looks active and living. I have to agree with the statement that M$ CFS scenery is checkered and dull. It is confusing to try to a fly over repeating patterns. That is why I am so looking forward to Jan Tuma's contribution.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Well Jan, judging from the few screenshots you've uploaded so far, I'm gonna say right now; that looks to be the best flight sim terrain I've ever seen! :clapping:

Regarding the fort's, IMO the green moat looks more realistic than the blue one.

More power to you, man.

Bucky

No problem Ol Paint. I know what you meant. I just wanted to make sure everyone knows I'm just tossing ideas out there. The beauty of this sim is you can make choices to fit your personal preferences.

Jan, I like the fort without the water. :good:

... I'd actually like to see more folks get involved in making constructive comments about what they like and why. PeterO1 released a campaign not long ago that has all kinds of goodies in it that enhance single mission play as well. He got exactly ONE comment. I find that....well, I'm not quite sure what to think. ...

I have to strongly agree with you here TS (and sorry you aren't a moderator anymore, but will still enjoy your posts!). I can't/don't consider myself a modder, but made a very humble effort to tweak and fill in some terrain tile gaps for Cambrai and Vogesen from existing tile sets (just to add some variation to seasons) and I got exactly one comment after I uploaded the files HERE (though a few folks helped to get it there...thank you)

and none for THIS ...

Now, I can see that at least some people downloaded my efforts, but whether they liked or continued to use it is another matter. Now, I ain't looking for undeserved praise, I ain't looking for gratitude, just SOME reaction would have meant somebody had something to say about it. For a while it turned me off this community, because sometimes it feels like a club, but I got over it and will continue to pester people. So here I go again...

@ Jan,

I think your work has real promise. My comment on your tile is that none of the farmers fields look large enough to crash land on. I try to play it as real as possible, so when I get damaged or overwhelmed and no airfield is around, I try to crash land in as short a distance as possible in a farmers field and not hit the trees (even though it doesn't matter in game). It isn't easy when your crate is damaged, and is a lot of fun playing it that way.

If possible, use BOTH castle textures since variety will only add to the experience.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by B Bandy RFC

I may just get my FE wish a very big thank you Jan Tuma now that is one hell of a good terrain.

I have to strongly agree with you here TS (and sorry you aren't a moderator anymore, but will still enjoy your posts!). I can't/don't consider myself a modder, but made a very humble effort to tweak and fill in some terrain tile gaps for Cambrai and Vogesen from existing tile sets (just to add some variation to seasons) and I got exactly one comment after I uploaded the files HERE (though a few folks helped to get it there...thank you)

and none for THIS ...

Now, I can see that at least some people downloaded my efforts, but whether they liked or continued to use it is another matter. Now, I ain't looking for undeserved praise, I ain't looking for gratitude, just SOME reaction would have meant somebody had something to say about it. For a while it turned me off this community, because sometimes it feels like a club, but I got over it and will continue to pester people. So here I go again...

@ Jan,

I think your work has real promise. My comment on your tile is that none of the farmers fields look large enough to crash land on. I try to play it as real as possible, so when I get damaged or overwhelmed and no airfield is around, I try to crash land in as short a distance as possible in a farmers field and not hit the trees (even though it doesn't matter in game). It isn't easy when your crate is damaged, and is a lot of fun playing it that way.

If possible, use BOTH castle textures since variety will only add to the experience.

Just my 2 cents...

Well B Bandy, you are part of the "club" whether you want to be or not. Everyone is. :smile: If it looks that way sometimes its likely due to the few numbers of folks who are active on the forum. Like you say no one is fishing for compliments here. For the vast majority of modders I think an honest evaluation evey now and then would be nice for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Not hijacking the topic.

Just to let you guys know, default Cambrai tileset will get an update:

usual trees and city stuff

"Two weeks" :wink:

B Bandy

I, for one, absolutely applaud the work you have put into your tile sets. :clapping: I want you to know that I added your mods to my game the same hour that they were posted for download and fly over them daily. Outstanding effort! This community is short of praise I have discovered. But we have so many talented folks out there with a huge amount of knowledge. TK has given us a palette to apply all sorts of beautiful arts. Please don't get discouraged because you don't get critical appraisals. Please, just keep applying your talent and knowledge. Lord only knows that I don't have the skill or patience to give the community what you have done already. I look forward to your further contributions. :good:

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

You know how you sometimes regret posting stuff, sort of like, "Doh! Did I say that out loud?" Oh well. :blush2:

Apologies if I offended anyone, I certainly did not mean to place myself on par with those super prolific people who contribute all those AMAZING downloads. I have no idea where they find the time of day to work on their mods AND time to fly, let alone time for family, and of course the day job (notice that I say that last...).

Thank you, I applaud all of you :good:

Hi!

New Tiles - progress report: Seasonal_tiles complete! :yes:

173 tiles for season (36 new tiles -3 new Rhein tiles, 4 railroad tiles, forts, pond, small lake, river with weir...), 9 seasonal tilesets = 1557 tiles (terrible job, uff...)

Tiles 512x512, 256 colours (257 kb)

post-36703-1249318623_thumb.jpg

--------------------------

[season001]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Deep_Snow

StartDate=01/1

EndDate=01/31

ScatteredChance=20

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=25

InclementChance=3

[season002]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Deep_Snow

StartDate=02/1

EndDate=02/31

ScatteredChance=20

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=25

InclementChance=3

[season003]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Snow

StartDate=03/17

EndDate=03/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

[season004]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Early_Spring

StartDate=04/1

EndDate=04/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

[season005]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Spring

StartDate=05/1

EndDate=05/31

ScatteredChance=40

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season006]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Late_Spring

StartDate=06/1

EndDate=06/31

ScatteredChance=40

BrokenChance=25

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season007]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Early_Summer

StartDate=07/1

EndDate=07/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season008]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Late_Summer

StartDate=08/1

EndDate=08/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season009]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Late_Summer

StartDate=09/1

EndDate=09/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season010]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Early_Fall

StartDate=10/1

EndDate=10/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season011]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Late_Fall

StartDate=11/01

EndDate=11/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

InclementChance=3

[season012]

Directory=..\seasonal_tiles\Snow

StartDate=12/1

EndDate=12/31

ScatteredChance=25

BrokenChance=40

OvercastChance=10

---------------------------------

post-36703-1249318754_thumb.jpg

(Snow tile - for the present only with stock trees)

------------------------------------------------

Necessary finish: :blink:

1) New enviromental for all tiles (trees + building)

2) Place the new Tiles to the map

3) Place new*.LOD´s to map

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan (Honza) :salute:

Edited by Jan Tuma

WOW you teaser Jan, this is so going to transform the look of FE.

Thanks Jan for all the time you put into it.

Those tiles look absolutely amazing! Thank you for your efforts!!!

There are some very subtle seasonal changes. Love the snow!

I'm sure somebody reading this can offer expert opinion on this question:

Is there any way to get better trees into FE to improve combat experience down low?

One thing about OFF that I have to admire, it plays SO WELL down low, the trees are great.

Fantastic, will completey change the look of First Eagles. :good::ok::clapping:

I can hardly hold back my enthusiasm. You know what they say - "Anticipation is making me wait."

OlPaint01