Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Point of Interest To the Thirdwire Community

Ok here goes dave...

1: i am in the middle of a campaign with the VMFA 212 squadron (fa18a) and noticed that on the day the ground war started i was tasked with blowing up a marine platoon (apc and marines). To remedy this i simply exited the campaing and tried again and the mission had changed to a legitimate target.

2: I have noticed that sometimes when starting a mission the j-stars and KC-10 are normally already in the air. However on a few occasions ive noticed that one of these aircraft is on the ground but in a peculiar position. See attatched screenies.

As i said earlier they are only minor things and this isnt a complaint by far. Keep up the good work guys it is much appreciated.

post-26949-1234448374_thumb.jpg

post-26949-1234448380_thumb.jpg

Ok here goes dave...

1: i am in the middle of a campaign with the VMFA 212 squadron (fa18a) and noticed that on the day the ground war started i was tasked with blowing up a marine platoon (apc and marines). To remedy this i simply exited the campaing and tried again and the mission had changed to a legitimate target.

2: I have noticed that sometimes when starting a mission the j-stars and KC-10 are normally already in the air. However on a few occasions ive noticed that one of these aircraft is on the ground but in a peculiar position. See attatched screenies.

As i said earlier they are only minor things and this isnt a complaint by far. Keep up the good work guys it is much appreciated.

We know about #1. They're target areas that were added for single missions, but are on in Kuwait, and therefore behind the front line for the camapaign. A simple fix is to change the start/end dates for these target areas in the terrain's ds_targets.ini. comrpnt's posted the exact lines to add in the big ODS thread.

We've seen #2 as well, but don't know the cause of it yet.

We know about #1. They're target areas that were added for single missions, but are on in Kuwait, and therefore behind the front line for the camapaign. A simple fix is to change the start/end dates for these target areas in the terrain's ds_targets.ini. comrpnt's posted the exact lines to add in the big ODS thread.

Hi guys,

I believe bug #2 has nothing to do with the mod. From what I can remember I seen that when I patched a clean WOE with the Oct 08 patch (or was that Sept 08 patch?) with hardly any mods.

Just want to let the ODS modders know they have done an awesome job. True, it may not be perfect but which commercial or freeware flightsim has been flawless anyway? The beauty with an "imperfect" product is that there is still room for improvement, something it sounds like the ODS modders recognise and have some plans for future patches.

In response to the critics I have nothing new to add as what's in my mind has already being covered by the previous posts. My basic response to overly negative critics is either they show they can do a better job than the ODS modders (in TW sims) or shut up.

Edited by WLJet

Ok thats good. As long as you guys already know about it. These are the only two things ive seen so far. Again excellent work on the mod guys. Its by far the best thing ive ever downloaded for this series.

Mike

Well, Jug, while most of the nitpickers are not modders, there have been instances in the past where they were. The "mod wars" that have been waged have been ugly and are usually even MORE out of line than the statements from the non modders.

So the caveat is while maybe you HAVE done something as good or even better than some particular mod, that doesn't give you the right to denigrate someone else's. Helpful criticism along the lines of "if you do X you would probably not see Y problem" is fine, but when it goes to "how can you release a mod with Y problem and call yourselves quality?!?" it just becomes ludicrous.

It seems to go with those who create, though. Musician A will ridicule musician B, filmmaker X will cut down filmmaker Y, and so on. I don't understand it, but I recognize it's not limited to mods.

So the caveat is while maybe you HAVE done something as good or even better than some particular mod, that doesn't give you the right to denigrate someone else's. Helpful criticism along the lines of "if you do X you would probably not see Y problem" is fine, but when it goes to "how can you release a mod with Y problem and call yourselves quality?!?" it just becomes ludicrous.

There is more to the mod wars than just that. It didn't start out as a fight over quality because in the beginning we all pretty much sucked compared to where we are today. Its more about the approach that people take to the subject matter (being respectful to the fact that these machines are historical artifacts and many of our guys lost their lives flying them) as well as respect for the community as a whole (where else will you find such a great group of people?) and cooperating with other modders.

There is more to the mod wars than just that. It didn't start out as a fight over quality because in the beginning we all pretty much sucked compared to where we are today. Its more about the approach that people take to the subject matter (being respectful to the fact that these machines are historical artifacts and many of our guys lost their lives flying them) as well as respect for the community as a whole (where else will you find such a great group of people?) and cooperating with other modders.

Right on the money.