Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Point of Interest To the Thirdwire Community

Dave, you know what has been the toughest thing for me to learn? Greycap has the right idea above...not letting the jerks in this world rule me to the point of being angry about them all the time. Not easy when I am capable of arguing back or being as big a prick as them. I espesially love it when Im insulted for no reason other than someone doesnt agree with what Im saying, or worse, outright calls me stupid. Their lack of tack and consideration and a superiority complex tends to boil the hide right off me. Soooo, whats the answer? Kill 'em all? :diablo:

Nah...just move on. Remember the old saying that goes kinda like this...you always notice the bad things someone does and never see the good. Well, my answer is to learn to look for the good, then you'll notice it more. In your case, there are FAR more people who enjoy your mods who usually dont say anything at all. The occassional attaboy posts, or 4 or 5 star rating on a mod have always been the icing on the reward cake of my mods. But the cake itself has been the pleasure I got from making the mod and packaging it for the community.

That being said...all you folks out there in Strike Fighters download land who download and enjoy the mods on this website...dangit! Take the time to make a thank you post once in a freakin while. Click on the little star rating thingy too. One or two clicks out of 1000 downloads doesnt let the mod maker know he's appreciated. Two or three attaboy posts after hours of work doesnt seem like a lot of appreciation to me. If yur having fun playing with the mod...say so. :good:

Edited by pcpilot

I remember rants against mods back on SimHQ in the old days (ie pre-WOV) that I never understood.

You don't have to like it.

You don't have to use it.

You may wish they'd use their time/talent to make a mod that interests you more.

If it doesn't work the way you think it should, well, it's an open game, change it yourself! Aside from 3D models, of course. Then you live with it or without it.

I didn't understand the vitriol about how it wasn't as great as it was hyped to be. Hyped by who? People's responses to screenshots? The modders bubbling over with their excitement for how much they enjoyed it in its pre-release form? What were they expecting? It's still a TW sim through and through.

Could TK release a "Wings over the Gulf" that was better? Perhaps, although I'm guessing he'd have fewer planes in it since he never goes over around 2 dozen planes in a release. So if it was better, it would be in a different way.

The ODS mod was not payware. You didn't even have to pay to subscribe to the site get it (although we wish everyone would to help out poor MK2!) It's not like your games will stop working if you don't get it, or if you do.

I wonder if these people go on fan sites for music groups and complain that say Rascal Flatts isn't making music like Conway Twitty and it's NOT as good as Conway Twitty even though some guy his neighbor knows said it was. There are far better uses of one's time than to complain that people are enjoying something.

Someone fill me in please in PM, and tell me WTF has happened as I seem to have missed it?

Someone fill me in please in PM, and tell me WTF has happened as I seem to have missed it?

Yeah, what did happen?

You know the other day we had a member who didn't think the DS mod was "all that". Then he attacked the fact that I asked for contributions to help in the upkeep of Combatace. The DS mod team and I are not above criticism. We do not expect everyone to like the mod, or any mod for that matter. It's human nature, to each his own etc. We do not expect praise for it either, all we ask is for you to download it, enjoy it or delete it. However, I see no reason to be a prick about it. Or rivet count it etc. There is a right way and wrong way to do things. In my opinion it was the wrong way to do it. The unavoidable side affect is that I being the admin get vilified. Hey we all have out moments of "Hey this isn't right!", and that is fine. But it's how you say it. I can't stress this part enough. There is a time and a place for it. Sometimes a person can go overboard on the rivet counting. I can give you some examples but I am not going to embarrass anyone in my attempt to make a point. I know you all want quality mods and most of us make a point to give you just that. All we ask a modders is that if you find a glaring error, be cool about bringing it to our attention. If you find something minor that really doesn't affect the aircraft in the sim, think twice before bringing it up. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Yes I do get snippy about that kind of stuff and I have no problem brining it someone attention that they are being a douche bag. Now if you want to know why I do that, here is why, I think it kills the enjoyment of the sim when nit picking starts. Some people fail to realize that modders try to do everything to the best of their abilities and have time for. No one has the right to judge otherwise when you have quality product sitting on your HD. There is a quality and there is quantity and I know like The Mirage Factory for example believes in making sure you get a good, well researched, thoroughly tested, QUALITY product. FastCargo is the same way, Dels is the same way. The GMG are the same way. Zurtech is the same way for example as well. But when you find mistakes, or have problems, bring it to the modders attention diplomatically and rest assured your concerns will be addressed. I think that is not a lot to ask of any modders.

Thoughts?

The guy is clearly a jackass, lashing out at the mod team because deep inside he resents the fact that others have created something of worth. He has no appreciation for the countless hours of work it takes to create anything that is good out of nothing. It's also pretty clear that he does not care that it costs money to operate this site and that that money has to come from somewhere. "I Want.. I WANT so put it in my hand!!!!"

P.S. the desert storm mod is with out a doubt the best upgrade to this series you guys totally out did yourselves. It makes me wonder if the guy in question did the complete stand alone install or if he pieced it together and hosed it up

Jarhead1 and JA37, don't worry about it. Not worth getting into.

No problem Dave. I just hate it when people are just asses about mods. Ironic, me being the reason the Mirage Factory F-4G almost never saw the light of day....

I have been around long enough to know that the great modders out there, take great pride in their work, and will go ape-s**t on an ignorrant jackass who is rivit counting. And this is no exception to that rule. Whoever the hell posted that, and their comment on supporting the site are nothing more than a sign of a jealous moron or a spoiled brat.

Well, it would help Jarhead1 put in context a comment by Icarus999 that apparently struck a nerve.

Ok, I just was stating my opinion in the fact that not everyone can pay for a membership just to download from here, thats all, and not everyone is sitting on alot of money. That was my point, nothing more.

Dave:

To He** with the rivit counters.

All of us;Kick the tire,Light the Fire,Brief on Guard,First one in the air's Lead types love the DS Mod.

Many Thanks to all who contributed. :good::ok::clapping:

Just to add a little to what Dave said, no one is saying you can't point out an issue with a mod just because it is free.

We tested the hell out of ODS, but I knew we would miss little things here and there. The campaign files were over 5,000 lines long, so I knew there would be a few errors and typos, no matter how many times I looked them over. Some of you have posted mistakes in the forums, others have PM'ed me. Thanks, we appreciate the input, and we'll get them fixed.

It's obvious to just about everyone if someone is trying to be contructive, or if their sole purpose in life is to be an ass.

Edited by JSF_Aggie

OT: just curious. what's the daily download limit/cap for free accounts? I haven't downloaded anything from the site yet.

Edited by jomni

None so far, if there was I'd be pretty mad and have to find some other place to get my eels. I would safely say the "cap" is how much strain the server is put on. So if you want to spend the next days just downloading the whole site then by gods man, do it!

We also reached a point where everyone is aware of the passions and work involved and the community won't let modders be insulted, and if we manage to emit a crude comment on the spur of the moment, excuses and mortification ensues (see serverandenforcer who apologised for weeks for something that was only a badly worded opinion for which noone felt anything more than a rewording was necessary).

I was on the verge of killing myself after making that comment. I literaly had a gun on the desk with a round in it. That post was made when I had a lot of things in my personal life going south. I still feel very bad about that comment. I have no idea what was going through my head when I made that post.

Anyways, I think people, who like to nitpick and complain about something that a lot of peope worked long and hard for (what was it... 2 1/2 years on the DS mod?) to give up to a community for free, has no concept of being thankfull. I mean come on, how can someone really get upset about a free product? I just can't understand that. I mean, the only thing I could think of is if what they downloaded porked their system permanently... but that's not what folks complain about. The complain about quality. Geezes. Just freaken unbelievable. Where's my gun at.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Personally I think its a good thing to release stuff that's not 100% perfect [i do it all the time]........noboddy has yet picked up on a particular skin by me that says "Sundowner Tyres" on one of the tyres on the bmp....... :no: .

Also it is the best way of pleasing everybody, you get those that genuinely enjoy the mod for what it is, and you get to please those that like the sound of their own voice so much that they shout their OWN NAME when having sex.. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: ........ :biggrin:

See.....everybody is happy... :rofl:

Dave, i think such guys just forget, that every mod sticks to the origin product. I mean, i don´t want to call the TW games incomplete, or bad, it´s just a matter of fact, that these sims where developed as 60/70ies era flight sims, with a focus on playabillity. Some points the person you mentioned called out for stuff, wich is just beyond the game engine limitations (Apache=no helo FM). This is a point we shouldn´t forget. Many mods out there are representing stuff, wich wasn´t used in the timeframe, the games are set. I mean, in real life you cannot buy a car and then complain about, it cannot hover, it doesn´t have light-speed capabillity or stuff like that. These things just don´t exist. Same is in the game engine. Some things just aren´t there and there´s no way to add them by mods.

Like i said, that doesn´t make the TW games bad, they are perfect, for what they should simulate.

And for that, the DS mod cannot be perfect, it´s just impossible. But sticked to the limitations, it´s the best thing, you could come up with. When someone wants an uber-realistic sim of the Desert Storm happenings, he would need to create a whole new game engine (although i doubt it would run on anything else then a NASA-super-computer! :biggrin: ).

And complaining about something for free... well, that´s a point i will never discuss again, because i don´t want to spend time on thinking about that! :wink:

When I point something out that doesn't seem right, I only mean to be helpful. Perhaps that was something that was not meant to be there or a mistake the creator made that he/she/they never noticed. I tell of things I notice that seem wrong since I believe they would like to correct that, and not just to complain. If I do come across as an ass when I point a thing like that out, please bonk me on the head and tell me to find a way to say it nicer.

I think that we all say things at times that we could have rephrased a little better, but there is a difference to me when someone is trying to point something out, or request something, than when just complaining about something or trying to start an argument. And when it is about a freeware item for starters, that is when it really flew in everyone's face that contributes here. That was simply a lack of maturity and respect.

Mike D.

i was just wondering if there is a thread in the forum to point out certain irregularities, bugs etc that we have found during gameplay or do we PM someone? In other words how do we show the mod developers if thers something wrong?

Mike

For the update its going to have Eels. :lol:

You know, Dave, I have been an active member on this forum and this web site for years and plan to continue and contriubute. I, for one, cannot imagine who would jump you guys for details! My response to them is, "What have you done here (contributed) that makes you other than a bitcher and moaner?" I guess in any crowd of world wide participants (all greatly appreciated) there is always the "cup-half-empty" crowd (negative attitude about everything). From what I have read on these forums, fortunately, those are in a minority. To those who write constructive criticism and offer their hand with what they can do if nothing more that praise the modders here, keep above the fray and keep your eyes on the prize (hours of fun-filled enjoyment). To the other crowd, "Bite me!" seems appropriate. You're too much of a gentleman to say it, but I'm not.

i was just wondering if there is a thread in the forum to point out certain irregularities, bugs etc that we have found during gameplay or do we PM someone? In other words how do we show the mod developers if thers something wrong?

Mike

You can either PM or make a post about it. Either way if its a game play bug we need to know about it so we can see can fix it.

You're too much of a gentleman to say it, but I'm not.

Jug

You know me better than that. :haha:

For what it's worth I was very impressed by the DS mod, so much so that I was happy to hit the ol' paypal.

However guess what there are things that I either would have liked or would have like different or are not quite as 'good' as I would like but I wont be bitching 'cos:

-I have sufficent brain power to realise what a massive undertaking this was and so don't expect it to conform to my idea of perfection.

-I don't believe that the world revolves around me, so if there are areas I'm not fully 'happy' with, so effing what!

Alas it seems some can't get those 2 key points.

Pay no attention to lifes eternal critics and whinners, they still wouldn't be happy if you had gone round their house installed the mod for them, tuned it to their particular wants and let them violate your sister while they waited.

Stuff 'em.

You can either PM or make a post about it. Either way if its a game play bug we need to know about it so we can see can fix it.

Well so far i have found two things. However these are not major problems that affect the gameplay in anyway. They are just little things. Not really worth a mention tbh. If you want to i can tell you what they are Dave?

The only gripe that I have with the DS MOD is well :blush: , Myself for not having bought WOE and therefore being unable to enjoy it and sadly cant afford to download it either having been laid off recently as I was being "paid too much" in the IT field. :shout::sad:

If you want to i can tell you what they are Dave?

Go ahead maybe its something we can fix.