Nice... thanks for making this plane, it is such a needed item for cold war gaming.

for those who dont know

post-19379-1235035919_thumb.jpg

Edited by krizis

Thanks God it seams that you are doing a Yak-38, while I'm working with a Yak-38M :tongue:

they differ so little from each other....

I'm sorry but you are working on Yak-38. The M has different tail section:

post-19379-1235039894_thumb.jpg

You can find all these drawings in Midland RedStar #36

Edited by krizis

Just a suggestion...

As Lindr2 pointed out, someone on the russian part of the forums (Krizis) is already working on one, and making good progress too...

It's not a reason to scrap either project, but maybe you could join up and share the workload, working together, one concentrating on the Yak-38, the other on the Yak-38M (or one on the Yak-38/Yak-38M and the other on the Yak-38U), or one on the airframes, the other on the pit if you decide that one of your model is better or easier to map than the other.

BTW Krizis, your model seems a bit of a hybrid, as it seems to have the dorsal strakes of the Yak-38M, the ventral strakes of the Yak-38M and late Yak-38 (from the photos I have, the early Yak-38 seem to lack them, but I found the fact mentionned nowhere yet), but lacks the splitter plate in front of the intakes that is typical of the Yak-38M.

No offense taken I hope.

Nice drawing Krisis, never seen it before, that changes the external distinctions quite a bit...

Let me sum it up, for the major ones that would show up in the model :

Early Yak-38

No intake splitter plate, no dorsal "dam", no ventral "dam", small rear facing "RWR?"

Late Yak-38

Intake splitter plates, dorsal "dam", ventral "dam", small rear facing "RWR?"

Early Yak-38M

Intake splitter plates, dorsal "dam", ventral "dam", additional air intake(s) near the vertical stab, large rear facing "RWR?"

There were at least 9 modifications of that plane, all with little differences:

Yak-36M in early configuration

Yak-36M in late configuration

Yak-38 with 15deg. tailplane anhedral

Yak-38 with 8deg. tailplane anhedral

Yak-38 with dorsal recirculation dams as flown from the mobile VTOL launch pad

Yak-38 late with extra dorsal and ventral recirculation dams

Yak-38M in early configuration

Yak-38M in late configuration

Yak-38U two-seater trainer

Actually, the Yak-38 was a test plane subjected to permanent changes.

So any model will be "hybrid". My model is still in progress and I'm not decided yet which exact modification will be represented.

Edited by krizis

krizis:

Mine is a Yak-38M, I assure you, it's only that the tail is not finished yet (even, there is a hole back there!). But I atually did the the intake splitters, dorsal dams, 8 deg. stabs...

Gunrunner:

As you currently may know, I'm also working on a J-10. But Erwin_Hans is about to release his J-10.

Nothing stops us to release both, and that seems will happen. But also as mine is much more in it's early infancy, I'll try to make a J-10S using what I have...

About the Yak-38, from the very beggining it was intended as a Late Yak-38M.

Edited by AleDucat

For the beginning you could include the MiG-21F cockpit or the Su-15 pit. Both are excellent.

AleDucat

but the drawings on your screenshot are for Yak-38... Definitely.

Well, seems like our both models will be released and people will do the choice!

Edited by krizis

So, according to your drawings, ALL Yak-38 and Yak-38M had intake splitter plates ?

Damn, good thing I stopped trying, there seems to be no two source saying the same thing -_-

Yeap, but don't take much care to drawings, there are just as a reference to allocate things :grin: I mostly use real life photos for details and such.

And people, don't worry, will choose both, will be cool to see both model flying in formation :blink:

So, according to your drawings, ALL Yak-38 and Yak-38M had intake splitter plates ?

Yes, you are right. Only the Yak-36M (very early Yak-38) were without them.

AleDucat> Except a lot of photos are poorly labelled, based on Cold War data, and what you might see labelled as an early Yak-38 might be in fact a late Yak-36M.

Krizis> Thanks for sharing part of your references, it's quite interesting to see something more extensive and fresher than what I've seen yet.

I will download both, they looks damn good

That's what I was talking about... :grin:

While listening AC/DC... Hell's bells...

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=21473

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=21474

The model is almost completed. Still need to do some work with the main gear.

I've also corrected the blueprint, just in case :biggrin:

Two weeks :wink:

Well, there will be one when Marco's satisfied with it... (unless he dropped the project ?)

All russian birds are welcomed, we had a long time a lower poly mig-29 and marcs 27.. inskye brings us more 27 versions, MF an ew 29, now two yaks ... I have some tu-22 mods in the pipe... 2009 is a red year that`s sure!

from what I saw, every year here is a red year...

If i would get the Ye-8 too i would feel like X-mas and eastern on one day.

All russian birds are welcomed, we had a long time a lower poly mig-29 and marcs 27.. inskye brings us more 27 versions, MF an ew 29, now two yaks ... I have some tu-22 mods in the pipe... 2009 is a red year that`s sure!

Indeed...I decided a while back...while trolling thru my model collection...and thought a modern paint job on my ressurrected SU-9 might just be the ticket...

I originally stopped this model when pasko released his versions...I have done a bit of detail to this model.and thought ,even tho theres a 9 out...more the merrier...lol

ive had to do a lot of work on the texture as the psd file somehow got corrupted...so I have had to redo some layers to add to the base texture...added new panel lines where I hadnt finished them..3 new layerss of part panel lines......and still need to add more panel lines and remove the old ones on the base texture....which will mean loads of copy paste smooth etc thats before the new panel lines are added...lol...also needs some painting of cockpit,gears and gearwells etc....

splinter.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

Looking very very nice!

And that what-if skin... :good: