Sign in to follow this  
rovert97

ODS static aircraft

anyone making static aircraft to populate the airfields for the ODS mod yet? ive read the knowledge base, and im utterly confused on how to do it myself. the airfields just seem so empty. they need some fighters and bombers and heavies laying around.

I've seen some static aircraft on Iraqis field on the first day of the war. Quite rare, but it happens.

If u patched WOE to the latest standards, u dont even need to add static aircraft in it, as the game will put then in already.

Just maybe he followed the instructions...

Make sure GroundObjects are selected on high.

it was an clean install with the latest patch, and objects are set to high, i got nothing on the fields. in my modified WOE install, i installed the second to latest patch, but not the newest one, and have static planes. maybe its something in the latest patch that doesnt like my ODS install?

If u patched WOE to the latest standards, u dont even need to add static aircraft in it, as the game will put then in already.

That's right. It's no problem to make static versions of any of the aircraft that come with ODS but:

1. If you go for the complex statics that I did, then they could only be used in single missions, as that's how they're placed on the airfield, as extra non-flyable aircraft in each mission

2. Complex statics would increase the install size* by almost double - due to the copying of necessary skins. *Note I said install size - the ini files required to make the statics are actually very small to download.

3. Placement would have to be off the main ramp areas that the patched game uses to place the statics, else recode the parking definitions for each type of airfield layout so that manual statics could populate the main ramp and arming pit areas.

The best solution is for ground objects that resemble statics, like the ones Capun has on his site. Then they can be placed as ground objects in the targets file definitions for each airfield - similar to the approach taken in Operation Rubicon (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6299).

To implement this solution some one would have to be willing to make some 3D low poly models of the relevant aircraft as ground objects - that said though, then you can have taxiing statics - which is pretty cool! along with the parked ones :-) See here for more details: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...&hl=taxiing (Although the reference models are no longer publically available which is why someone else with 3D modelling knowledge and some time needs to step up. I can park 'em and make 'em move, but I can't make 'em ;-) )

Regards, comrpnt.

Just maybe he followed the instructions...

Make sure GroundObjects are selected on high.

Hrrmmm...

I have ground objectrs on high, and except for the odd heavy or two in my 1st campaign, I got nuthin'. Latest patch on WoE before installing ODS.

I just ratcheted it up to unlimited to see if that makes a difference.

After flying WoI for so long, and having jets on the ramps, it seems so sterile without `em...

I have mine on unlimited, and I always have jets on the ramps, in campaigns and in single missions

I have mine on High and sometimes they show up,sometimes they don't.

NOTE:The only ones I see is the "heavy" or enemy static planes.