Sign in to follow this  
rabu

Western Front Map 1915-1916 for in game use UP

Dirk

Could you post maybe one marked-up map segment you have completed, to give us an idea how good the finished project will look with the double icons? You have me on "Pins and Needles". Maybe Map Segment G around Lille showing the Allied push through Armentieres late in the war. Lots of Jastas got their posteriors moved back towards the Fatherland.

I can hardly stand the wait...

OlPaint01

Dirk

Could you post maybe one marked-up map segment you have completed, to give us an idea how good the finished project will look with the double icons? You have me on "Pins and Needles". Maybe Map Segment G around Lille showing the Allied push through Armentieres late in the war. Lots of Jastas got their posteriors moved back towards the Fatherland.

I can hardly stand the wait...

OlPaint01

If I can find the info on the identy of the dromes for French and Brits, I think it would be great to identify them. Dirk has been helping Chris with the German locations and Chris has been supplying me with the others and will be sending me the German ones, but we haven't broken them down into French and Brits, or approached the changes over the years to identify the common bases that would have the double icons yet.

I think we can do it, but putting names on them is a bit much to expect.

Thanks for putting the maps up, downloading now.

Took me awhile to make the transition to the new forum and just noticed the maps. I used to visit this site a lot awhile ago. Looks like I will be a regulat again.

Will have to print them soon.

Cheers Markl

Edited by markl

Dirk

Could you post maybe one marked-up map segment you have completed...

:)

You bark up the wrong tree, it's all Rabu's and Chris's efforts.

Thanks,

Dirk.

:)

You bark up the wrong tree, it's all Rabu's and Chris's efforts.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Dirk

Thanks for straightening me out. :blush: And here, I was going to shower several "TYs" on you for your efforts.

Rabu

Don't we already have Winder's date based aerodrome lists in the QCLocations.xlm files that change with the year and month of the campaign under his WWI Scenery/Period folder? I would be more than satisfied if you guys could map just the airfield icons and airfield change double icons that are in the game from a summary of his .XLM files. And I would be more that happy to pencil in the aerodrome names on my copy of the maps as I reconnoiter them.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Dirk

Thanks for straightening me out. :blush: And here, I was going to shower several "TYs" on you for your efforts.

Rabu

Don't we already have Winder's date based aerodrome lists in the QCLocations.xlm files that change with the year and month of the campaign under his WWI Scenery/Period folder? I would be more than satisfied if you guys could map just the airfield icons and airfield change double icons that are in the game from a summary of his .XLM files. And I would be more that happy to pencil in the aerodrome names on my copy of the maps as I reconnoiter them.

OlPaint01

Yes, I just realized this myself after some one else mentioned the xml files a few days ago.. I didn't realize they had actual coordonates listed in them, but they apparently do. Going thorugh and figuring out which ones share common fields over time is something else I'm not sure how to do, is there an easy way using Office XL?

I am waiting to hear back on a possible ID of which are French and which Brits, I would really like to include that on the maps.

Chris was apparently getting coordonates in game and then using them in Google maps to locate them accurately, not quite sure how he was doing that either and I have very little time to spend on the whole projects except weekends and a few hours in the evenings. Dirk was supplying Chris with the German locations as well.

Any help in the data area is more then welcome.

Thanks,

Yes, I just realized this myself after some one else mentioned the xml files a few days ago.. I didn't realize they had actual coordonates listed in them, but they apparently do. Going thorugh and figuring out which ones share common fields over time is something else I'm not sure how to do, is there an easy way using Office XL?

I am waiting to hear back on a possible ID of which are French and which Brits, I would really like to include that on the maps.

Chris was apparently getting coordonates in game and then using them in Google maps to locate them accurately, not quite sure how he was doing that either and I have very little time to spend on the whole projects except weekends and a few hours in the evenings. Dirk was supplying Chris with the German locations as well.

Any help in the data area is more then welcome.

Thanks,

Rabu and Chris

I did some poking around the Winder's QCLOCATIONS.XLM files already. You can open them in MS Office Excel and convert them to XLS spreadsheets. I will do some more research but I believe that we may be able to do some "compares" between the several date-based files and come up with the airfields in the game that changed hands during the course of the conflict. I am like you guys, RL is taking up a lot of my spare time - I am in the process of earning my A+ certification. I will see what I can come up with and let you know what I find.

BTW I have been sightseeing around Dunkirk area from my 1RNAS drome at St Pol Sur Mer . I toggle the Tactical Display to Airfields with the T key and I am getting a pretty good match between the pips on the TAC Display and the Map Icons on your marked up Map Segment B example that you already posted. Outstanding Work!!!

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Rabu and Chris

I did some poking around the Winder's QCLOCATIONS.XLM files already. You can open them in MS Office Excel and convert them to XLS spreadsheets. I will do some more research but I believe that we may be able to do some "compares" between the several date-based files and come up with the airfields in the game that changed hands during the course of the conflict. I am like you guys, RL is taking up a lot of my spare time - I am in the process of earning my A+ certification. I will see what I can come up with and let you know what I find.

BTW I have been sightseeing around Dunkirk area from my 1RNAS drome at St Pol Sur Mer . I toggle the Tactical Display to Airfields with the T key and I am getting a pretty good match between the pips on the TAC Display and the Map Icons on your marked up Map Segment B example that you already posted. Outstanding Work!!!

OlPaint01

Thanks OP, will look forward to what you can find out! :good:

Thanks OP, will look forward to what you can find out! :good:

Hello Rabu and Chris

I have completed the survey of all of Winder's QCLocations.xlm files in OFF:BHaH. I have summarized the Aerodrome Occupation changes by pulling all the date-based files in the game onto an huge Excel spreadsheet. I have highlighted the airfields that have changed hands from Allied to German or German to Allied over the course of the war. These dromes will need to be labeled on our new map with the double icon that you designed. There are a total of 367 air fields identified in England and on the Continent.

I was disappointed to discover that Winder does not make any differntiation between British, French or American bases in his files. All the fields are labeled as either "British Fields FrontName" or "German Fields FrontName". I included the map coordinates for all the fields. I guess we will have to consult another source to determine which of the nations occupying the Entente dromes.

Rabu how can I get this spreadsheet to you?

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Hello Rabu and Chris

I have completed the survey of all of Winder's QCLocations.xlm files in OFF:BHaH. I have summarized the Aerodrome Occupation changes by pulling all the date-based files in the game onto an huge Excel spreadsheet. I have highlighted the airfields that have changed hands from Allied to German or German to Allied over the course of the war. These dromes will need to be labeled on our new map with the double icon that you designed. There are a total of 367 air fields identified in England and on the Continent.

I was disappointed to discover that Winder does not make any differntiation between British, French or American bases in his files. All the fields are labeled as either "British Fields FrontName" or "German Fields FrontName". I included the map coordinates for all the fields. I guess we will have to consult another source to determine which of the nations occupying the Entente dromes.

Rabu how can I get this spreadsheet to you?

OlPaint01

You are fast! PM me and Chris and maybe we can all make this work. WM may not have needed to differentiate the nationalities for the game, probably why he didn't. I have an email inquiry into the WWI historians website with the question about Brit/French/US identities, will see if they answer.

Thanks again for the help.

Rabu and Chris

I cannot figure out how to send a PM to you guys inside the CA forum. Rats!!! Could you send your personal addies to me?

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Hallo OlPaint,

Just click on their names, drop down will open.

Cheers,

shredward

Hallo OlPaint,

Just click on their names, drop down will open.

Cheers,

shredward

Thanks Shreder, I finally figured it out.

Rabu, Chris and I have a PM thread going on behind the scenes now. Rabu told me you have a pretty good working knowledge of the drome occupation during the War, especially the fields that changed hands during the various offensives. WM did not make any national distinction or assignments in the sim that I have discovered. We need to id the aerodromes on the Map that Rabu posted to the CombatACE Downloads page to show the nations that squad/jasta flew from.

OlPaint01

Hello Rabu and Chris

How about a status report on progress on the Western Front map with marked-up aerodromes project...

OlPaint01

Hello Rabu and Chris

How about a status report on progress on the Western Front map with marked-up aerodromes project...

OlPaint01

Hi guys, Chris name ID'd each field and located each one by lat/long. Shredward is now working on the nationality issue. I decided to redo the sections, dividing the maps into 12 instead of 16 segments so that each map fits vertically on a letter size sheet better and to cut down the number of maps needed. Each map now covers about 35 miles in width by 45 miles in height, so with an average MPH flying speed (and no delays) it will take about 20-30 minutes to fly the limits of a map segment. I also changed the master index map with the index as a row number/column letter key to each map instead of the former large letter on each one.

The legend for each segment will number key to each field icon on each segment and will then be on a second page and hopefully we will list not only the name of the field, but the nationally (and years of occupation if it changed hands or moved), along with possibly including info on aces stationed there at different times. Will just have to see how it all goes.

Very neat Rabu, thanks for your continuing work on this project. I have been trying out your current maps in my missions as I have them all printed out and sitting at my flight station. I love flying by map and compass, and have been having some success with it in OFF. But I have to really stay watchful that I don't lose sight of known landmarks for any length of time or I can find myself quite promptly lost, at which point I end up doing exactly what our WW1 heros did, fly west in a straight line until something below hopefully matches up with something on my map, (or if you are of the Hun persuasion, fly east). And of course if all that fails we do have the luxury of the 'M' key, ('M' standing for "Mama take me home"). :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

I love flying by map and compass, and have been having some success with it in OFF. But I have to really stay watchful that I don't lose sight of known landmarks for any length of time or I can find myself quite promptly lost, at which point I end up doing exactly what our WW1 heros did, fly west in a straight line until something below hopefully matches up with something on my map, (or if you are of the Hun persuasion, fly east). And of course if all that fails we do have the luxury of the 'M' key, ('M' standing for "Mama take me home"). :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

Hey Rabu,

Do think that adding a small compass rose graphic on a blank area of each map segment might be a good useful aid for navigating? We then can match up the on-screen compass heading with the flight direction in degrees on the map as we fly to the next waypoint.

OlPaint01

Hey Rabu :)

"I decided to redo the sections, dividing the maps into 12 instead of 16 segments so that each map fits vertically on a letter size sheet better and to cut down the number of maps needed. Each map now covers about 35 miles in width by 45 miles in height"

Gordon Taylor beat you to it in 1917:-

"For quick and easy reference I had pasted maps of the regions for about 30 miles each side of the lines on pieces of plywood, and had made a holder for these which I fitted beside my seat" (from 'Sopwith Scout 7309').

Bletchley

In this case, more cooks make a better broth

http://patriot.net/~townsend/WW1AirMap2/index.html

The link gives you a map of France, during WWI. With Explorer 7 as I have, it refuses to function. HOWEVER if you clic on HELP you'll find with FIREFOX it can come to life.

Providing the Location and names, of everybody's airfields . . .I Think ?

Thanks Uncleal: I've got that link and it's good, it just doesn't have enough detail and it doesn't seem to cover all the French Escadrilles

Hey Rabu :)

"I decided to redo the sections, dividing the maps into 12 instead of 16 segments so that each map fits vertically on a letter size sheet better and to cut down the number of maps needed. Each map now covers about 35 miles in width by 45 miles in height"

Gordon Taylor beat you to it in 1917:-

"For quick and easy reference I had pasted maps of the regions for about 30 miles each side of the lines on pieces of plywood, and had made a holder for these which I fitted beside my seat" (from 'Sopwith Scout 7309').

Bletchley

Very interesting! Thanks for the info.

plywood.... hmmm.... maybe, nah too bulky around the desk... LOL :D

plywood.... hmmm.... maybe, nah too bulky around the desk... LOL :D

plus.. splinters and I can't lean it up against the fan. :wink: