Sign in to follow this  
Danish_Squid

Joystick Advice Appreciated!

Well my old CH Fighterstich is close to the end of it's life (gameport device and windows XP)

I'm in a bit of a mix here wether to go with the CH USB series or try the TM HOTAS Cougar.

If anyone has any pros or cons on any of the devices please feel free to air them!

Thanks

Staffan

Well my old CH Fighterstich is close to the end of it's life (gameport device and windows XP)

I'm in a bit of a mix here wether to go with the CH USB series or try the TM HOTAS Cougar.

If anyone has any pros or cons on any of the devices please feel free to air them!

Thanks

Staffan

I`ve been using Cougar for quite a while - So far, no complaits.

Well, I have some suggestions for future Cougar mods but that`s another matter.

I know there are people here that use CH products (MrMudd is one of them)

You asked for Cougar but I had to throw a plug in for the Saitek.

I really wanted the Cougar but didn't want to wait frankly. I plan going that way one day but in the Meantime.. while it doesn't "look" authentic in alot of respects. The Saitek x45 rig is well worth what I paid for it. And the construction is more then reasonable. The stick itself is USB and the Throttle connects to the stick via serial connector.

Street price around $75

I have to agree with the Saitek X45. It's a very nice stick for the price. You won't find a better stick with as many options as the X45 for the price. If you have to money or don't care about price then the Cougar is the way to go. However the X45 gives you about the same functions as the Cougar but for a lot less.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I had read some stories about the Cougar having buttons loose when it arrived and the likes, glad to hear that it is the odd case.

I never really did check the X45, maybe I should, my wallet is big enough for the TM and CH products, and I have own specimens from both producers.

Cheers

Staffan

Guest MrMudd

Ive had a couple of saitek x45s, they work great for a entry level HOTAS system.

The throttle is nice and tight, but the Joystick itself wont last me longer than a couple months, then it looses that precision i require in the center for rolling in on a AAA or Flak Gun inIL2 or for a good snapshot in Dogfights. to carrier landings in janes F/A-18E.

I really prefer precision. It is a very big issue for me. the second is ease of programability with Direct X. that is where USB comes in.

the biggest saleing point for me, is after 8 years of online play. While i was going through sticks. My friends still had their very precise CH gear all that time. :o It wasnt until i decided to spring the 200 bucks for one that i truly understood what quality was in PC Hotas hardware. ive had my Ch Pro Fighterstick and Throttle for a year now. I love it very much. I have subsequently added the pedals and also got a USB Flight Yoke from Ch.

I use the Flight yoke allot on Fs2004, Car raceing sims, like grand prix legends and others. My son is 10 and loves to use my setup and the USB Yoke. Great gear.

When i came to assist biohaz in my flight sim editor efforts. I tried to contact a great number of hardware vendors for their gear for media review purposes.

Ch Products was the only one willing to support me in my efforts, as well as sending me gear so that i would have first hand knowledge of what i am talking about concerning their controllers. They are a very freindly to talk to online. over the phone and in emails. :)

I have been following the Thrustmaster cougar saga as a reader of cougarworld and from a couple friends that have them. I have seen them have to get replacement parts (POTS) and other issues to keep them working. they are not happy, and like i was converted to Ch..they slowly followed suit to. this christmas i can spend cash on memory and other upgrades, casue i know my prime interface for gameing, is my hotas and it is very dependable. :)

I have tried to contact thrustmaster to review their product and based some info on first hand experiance. but no luck to date. :(

The biggest selling point for thrustmaster cougar is the "Modeled after a real F16 HOTAS" and the fact it is really an exclusive designed product around the dedicated Falcon 4.0 sim crowd. which is cool. they are a very large community in a pursuit of detail for their sim needs. But for me, it wasnt a selling point. Ive flown F16s since the mid 80's. it doesnt really turn me on. But im sure if some one released one designed for a Combat helo like an Apache, Kiowas or Ah1Z id be all over it in a heartbeat.

So i guess everything has its value point.

Saitek for their 70 dollar cost to get you into a hotas value.

Ch for their dependable quality

Thrustmaster for authentic detailing.

Cougar and Ch are close to the same cost with cougar about 30 dollars more.

MrMudd

Thanks very informative, I guess I'll be scoping out prices for the CH fighterstick/Pro Throttle USB devices, I never had any issues with my gameport version except the XP issue that is.

By the way I hope you enjoy the R&R period from the articles.

Cheers

Staffan

PS Just a little image of an RDAF F-16.... (I know LOMAC rules)

post-6-1070801462_thumb.jpg

If it helps, I sold my Cougar in order to purchase a CH fighterstick and Pro Throttle. Best decision I ever made.

CH has a much lighter feel to the stick and I dont have to muscle the stick around like I did with the cougar. The spring design of the cougar with the dips between the axes really hurt me when it came to precision flying.

no more than 6 months after getting the cougar the stick developed play in the center and got so bad I had to shelf the cougar and use my saitek for a few months.

The cougar has serious design flaws internally and the only way to really get the cougar where it should be is to spend another $400 for a mod.

The CH stuff just works right out of the box. No mods, no quick fixes, no center play, no jerky axes, no pot spiking, no sticking buttons,etc. It just works!

I've got to chime in on the CH discussion as well.

I've owned a non-USB Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, a ForceFX Joystick and their steering wheel as well for about 5 years now. I've tried almost every HOTAS out there, and you just can't beat the CH stuff for quality, reliability and just plain ease-of-use. My only complaint I have with my current setup is that with it being the Gameport style (non-usb) I have to dual-boot to Win98 to program the stick, and my fancy force-feedback joystick is no longer supported in WinXP. Get CH Products stuff, you just can't go wrong with it! :D

The Cougar has an undeniable gee-whiz factor and looks cool, but I just keep hearing about problems, bad springs, bad pots, and the fact that everyone says you need to spend more money on the mod kits has turned me off the Cougar.

I will agree that Ch Products are very good. However, if don't have a lot of money then the X45 is the way to go. I will most likely update to either the cougar or Ch but as it stands I could only afford the X45. By all means if you have the money then go for the good stuff. After all you do get what you pay for B)

Thanks for all the inputs people!

I have decided to go with the CH USB setup.

A friend of mine just got the danish retail version of the game LO:ACS is the name.

It even instructed him to install LO:ACS to his HD (No such file is included only the LO:MAC stuff is on, with a new packaging sporting the MIG-29 and the F-15)

I just wonder why ubi is going to such lengths to muddle the waters...

Another little fun fact the danish ubi site doesn´t contain any images of the retail version nor is it out yet (according to their danish website)

Cheers

Staffan

I'll add myself to the list of former Cougar owners. While it's being metal is cool, but after waiting for parts from TM, I decided I'd rather fly than have a cool stick.

The poster who said you would have to mod it stated a fact. Yes the stick is metal, but add another $400-600 in mods to get it where other sticks already are.

I sold it and purchased the Saitek stick. It works great. I'm thinking about getting the CH stuff after Xmas. I'm not unhappy with the X45, but I really miss rudder pedals, and I really really like my friends CH setup.

I had the old Saitek X-36 stick and throttle. Back then about 4 years ago, (it just died last month), it was about $100 even. My girlfriend got me a new X-45 for X-mas, but wont let me open it yet! Anyways, the 36 model was a solid setup, and I enjoyed it thuroughly. I hope the 45 will be better. My only complaint is that little pinkee switch at the bottom as I have big hands. Anyone have a suggestion?