Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Celtic Wars - What If scenario...

Kopis n Xiphos, you've got the idea. That's the point - after all these centuries, and don't forget where England would be without the Celts, whether you mean the Welsh at Agincourt or the Scots at Waterloo, or the Irish in the First and Second World Wars - despite the unrest in Ireland itself. England would very possibly not have survived. The Empire itself can largely be traced to Scots merchants who were established in the East before the Army was... And so on.

But France beat Wales. I took the week off work sick... I teach in a French engineering school, and I couldn't face the little bastards... They never win but they have to rub it in. There's no "Better luck next time" from that lot, just a lot of rubbing your nose in it. Bastards!

Kopis n Xiphos, you've got the idea. That's the point - after all these centuries, and don't forget where England would be without the Celts, whether you mean the Welsh at Agincourt or the Scots at Waterloo, or the Irish in the First and Second World Wars - despite the unrest in Ireland itself. England would very possibly not have survived. The Empire itself can largely be traced to Scots merchants who were established in the East before the Army was... And so on.

But France beat Wales. I took the week off work sick... I teach in a French engineering school, and I couldn't face the little bastards... They never win but they have to rub it in. There's no "Better luck next time" from that lot, just a lot of rubbing your nose in it. Bastards!

That was a dismal match. I watched The Grand Slam film with Windsor Davies straight after and drowned out the sorrow with Vodka, Sherry, Beer and whatever else I could find in the house. Cheecky monkeys rubbing it in like that! 'Tis not sportsmanly nor becoming of a gentleman not to at least offer a "better luck next time" however insincerely felt, it's the principle! :biggrin:

Hmm. . . Maybe I have to put Twickenham in so I can drop bombs on the darn place :wink: (j/k)

Well, it's on the heathrow flightpath so you can pretend every time you go on holiday (as long as you sit on the left hand side of the plane).

BTW, I don't see much enthusiasm from the English members (are there any?) for this little project. One civil war enough for us :biggrin:

Baltika, that looks great! But it'll leave Wales a bit short of airfields if all there is is Valley. Are some of the GA fields or airports going to be used for Air Force traffic?

Hi ndicki,

ATM Wales has RAF Valley in the north and Cardiff Aerodrome in the south.

I am happy to take suggestions for any more you would like to see on the map, as things are not yet finalised for the initial release.

Slainte!

Baltika

That's fine - two is enough, I think, given the handful of aircraft there'll be! Mind you, if I find another one somewhere along the coast, say, facing Ireland, that'd be useful, too.

Well, I realised that Wales was getting a bit of a rough deal, so, courtesy of those wonderful learning tools, wikipedia and Google Earth, I have added:

RAF Mona

MOD St. Athan

Welshpool Aerodrome

RAF Haverfordwest

That should provide plenty of Welsh airbases to be going on with. Lovely country to fly over, just watch out for your height on some of those final approaches :wink:

OK, back to some targetising, then a little flying around, and this should be all set for a beta release. Still on track for the weekend.

And I've been trying to understand how a campaign works so I can actually do something useful with it...

How's this do you?

[Nation203]

Name=WALES

DisplayName=Byddin Awyr Gweriniaeth Cymru

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotNameList=NAMESWELSH.LST

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

CallsignList=CALLSIGNSRAF.LST

Formation.Fighter=USFighter

Formation.Attack=USFighter

Formation.Bomber=USBomber

Formation.Transport=USBomber

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

PilotTrainingStandard=EXCELLENT

GenderRatio=0

DebriefSuccessMusic=DebriefSuccess.wav

DebriefFailMusic=DebriefFail.wav

DebriefKilledMusic=DebriefKilled.wav

SpeechFile=USAFSpeech.cat

SpeechTextFile=USAFSpeechText.str

Medals=MedalsRAF.ini

MedalTextFile=MedalsRAF.str

[Nation204]

Name=SCOTLAND

DisplayName=Scottish Air Corps

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotNameList=NamesBritish.lst

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

GenderRatio=0

Medals=MedalsRAF.ini

[Nation205]

Name=ULSTER

Alignment=FRIENDLY

DisplayName=Ulster Defence Force

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

GenderRatio=0

Medals=MedalsRAF.ini

[Nation206]

Name=IRA

DisplayName=Irish Republican Army

Alignment=ENEMY

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

GenderRatio=0

Medals=MedalsRAF.ini

[Nation207]

Name=EIRE

DisplayName=Irish Air Corps

Alignment=ENEMY

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

GenderRatio=0

Medals=MedalsRAF.ini

[Nation208]

Name=CORNWALL

DisplayName=Cornish Volunteer Force

Alignment=ENEMY

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

GenderRatio=0

Medals=MedalsRAF.ini

Of course, I need to work on names, call-signs, etc, but the basis runs perfectly.

Edited by ndicki

That's a great way to look at it! It's all fun and games. Six Nations was bloomin awesome this year! Well done the Irish indeed! I had the pleasure of watching that game in the CIA (no, not that guy readin the paper on the bench mun, that great big thing next to the cinema) What a night! Welsh and Irish all over the place dancing and singing and drinking and not an angry fist thrown by anyone, even the coppers were using common sense and all!

Shame Scotland couldn't route the Old Enemy eh!? Better luck next year Boys!

And Twickers would be awesome to bomb! All in the fun of the game of course!

Anyone know that song about the bottle, that once held bitter ale? :rofl:

Does this mean we get Hampden Park, Cardiff Arms Park sorry Millenium Stadium etc to bomb in return ???

You won't get anywhere near it! My flight of ex-RAF BAGC Hawks has just knocked down an incursion by a flight of RAF Typhoons, just to prove the point! Don't ask how, but it works...

Hi all,

@ndicki,

Great additions to the NATIONS.INI, looking forward to flying them :good:

As for campaigns, the easiest way is to mod a stock campaign. That's how I started out, making little changes here and there and eventually building up. If you have any specific questions, fire away.

@PACMAN,

Hell, yes :yes:

Thanks to Wrench unlocking the Stadium model from the hidden depths of a CAT file somewhere, everyone can have their own favourite football ground in game. If you fly around Edinburgh, Dublin, London and Cardiff, you may spot a familiar landmark or two :wink:

Speaking of which, here's a couple of "money shots" to give you a flavour:

post-16914-1238123133_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1238123167_thumb.jpg

I was contemplating starting a competition to see who could guess the view - then realised the debug HUD kind of gives it away. Anyway, hats off to Wrench for all his targetising work. That is one slow process. If I am to get a beta out, I may have to leave the other national capitals for people with more local knowledge. But you get the general idea.

Cheers for now,

Baltika

Celtic wars? A mod about the Lakers vs the Celtics? Hmmm you might be on to something. :lol:

Well i had an idea that if one were to make weapons shaped like footballs (american) and painted aircraft in team colors with decals, a mod could be made of the Air combat version of football, all culminating in the final mission: SuperBowl :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Baltika, I'm looking forward to this, I really am! Beautiful scenery. Meanwhile, I'm repainting Russo's Hawk - the original skin textures don't line up at all around the tailfin and rudder, so that needs looking at. As the majority of BAGC aircraft will be Hawks from BAGC Valley (!), then I'd better get them right. I'm wondering about weird tribal paint schemes, such as the Stewart tartan on the Scottish F.3...

Edited by ndicki

What do you think of these? I'm quite proud of them! There are two for Scotland, and two for England - which do you all prefer?

I like those with the lions (the crosses look a little bit boring...)!

Great looking insignia there :biggrin::good:

Personally, I'd go for the lion rampant for Scotland, and the St. George Cross for England, but that's down to personal taste I suppose.

Looking forward to seeing them on my wings :yes:

Cheers,

Baltika

Looking good on the markings as to what I prefer in a perfect world the Lions on the Tail and the crosses on the wings...

But hey thats me....

You won't get anywhere near it! My flight of ex-RAF BAGC Hawks has just knocked down an incursion by a flight of RAF Typhoons, just to prove the point! Don't ask how, but it works...

Go bomb Wembley as its only for the Andrex Sport... Soccer Soft and overly expensive...

Doesnt matter where Rugby players come from (Okay maybe France) but we have to stick together... as we are all Gentlemen...

And if I had been driving one of those Euro's I would have got through...

Looking good on the markings as to what I prefer in a perfect world the Lions on the Tail and the crosses on the wings...

But hey thats me....

I would do the exact opposite! :biggrin:

The reason is simple: The lion is the Coat of Arms (correct?), so it is the military symbol -> use as roundel.

The cross is the flag -> fin flag!

I see it the same way as Shaolin - and the cross looks too much like something to do with the Red Cross. But the Scottish Lion looks dead good - there, I'm hesitating between the Cross of St Andrew and the Lion Rampant as fin flash. Difficult decision!

Has anyone identified the other "made-them-up" ones?

Well, I got the Cornish People's Liberation Army Air Force roundel.

That was the difficult one! The other "new" ones are Ulster Defence Force and IRA.

Which was the Cornish one? I didn't see any pictures of pasties on any of the roundels! :biggrin: