Sign in to follow this  
TheStig

I Can't Decide on Upgrading to 2008 Patch

I am indecisive here about upgrading to the October 2008 patch for my WOE. I have lots of mods installed from weather to explosion effects, and well in excess of 150 aircraft. Is there really a big difference and benefit in upgrading to the new patch. I've searched on it already, but just would like to get some more opinions out there. I installed it before but got discouraged and reinstalled WOE all over again without the patch after my weapons didn't work. That has been solved already in another thread.

Anywho, thoughts and recommendations are welcome to help me in my decision. Thanks!

If you've got the space, simply make a duplicate of your current install and then patch it up.

Or, as an alternative, make a clean install of WOE, patch it up, then copy your mods over to it. Most will be drag and drop...and most will still work about the same.

Either way, there isn't anything preventing you from having both a unpatched and patched up install (other than disk space).

That way, you can decide for yourself.

FC

What FC said.

It all goes to the questions of "what do you want from the game?" and "how much HD space do you have".

For a while, I had a total of 21 installs of 3W games. Down to 17 now, well, 18 with the new indo-pak mod.

There's really nothing to it!

wrench

kevin stein

the october '08 patch is a huge improvement on the stock game, you might want to try a fresh install and then patch that up to '08 standard and just play the stock game with limited add-ons. I've been doing that for almost 6 months now, partially because I want to and partially because it's the best that I can run on my lothargic computer.

And Wrench, boy do I envy you. :tongue:

I think I will try that. I do want to keep all of my aircraft, weapons and effects though. Is it a simple drag and drop for all 3 of these folders?

Doing this Oct 2008 upgrade also makes me really want to improve my B-52 fleet as only the B-52D and B-52F work on my system. The G & H from the upgrade I got off of here do not even show when flying... just it's armament.

Edited by TheStig

I think I will try that. I do want to keep all of my aircraft, weapons and effects though. Is it a simple drag and drop for all 3 of these folders?

Doing this Oct 2008 upgrade also makes me really want to improve my B-52 fleet as only the B-52D and B-52F work on my system. The G & H from the upgrade I got off of here do not even show when flying... just it's armament.

Effects you could probably just drag and drop the entire folder. Weapons you can, but you'll need to run it through the newer weapons editor afterwards. Some weapons may have small issues, but you can trouble shoot them as they come up one by one.

For aircraft, you'll only want to drag and drop individual aircraft folders (ie F-111A, F-15C, etc...), along with all the extra pilot and misc files that reside in the general 'Aircraft' folder. If you've modified any of the stock aircraft (or installed bunyap's pack), you'll want to re-mod them (don't use your old ones) since the aircraft_data.ini's are updated with the newest patch.

Damnit. I found out my B-52 issue. I am missing LOD files. How do I get the G & H LODs?

Patching is absolutely worth the few hours of copying and correcting. I patched my one and all 51 gB install and it was absolutely worth it. Fastcargo and Wrench in this thread gave gave perfect directions

Patches we dont need no stenking patches... ooops off topic...

I have all mine patched to 08 and WOI WOE WOV and wouldnt have it any other way... just got a terrabyte drive to put everything in now feel's weird flying an Hunter and getting chased by a Mig-29 !!! Oh and being shot at by a double digit SAM battery...