Sign in to follow this  
joeroma

I noticed one thing:

the fighting ends with the removal of all aircraft.

I explain better:

if a formation of fighter, meets another fighter formation, the battle will end only if all the hunting will be killed.

Where many are killed by fighter, and it remains one against five, that will to fight rather than flee.

should, in my opinion, this change, namely to ensure that formation is in clear numerical inferiority, have the opportunity to escape rather than be cut down one after the other.

I apologize if my English is not perfect, I hope you understand my point.

regards

Edited by joeroma

I think I understand what you mean. It would be nice indeed if the OFF manager would make the AI consider if he will stay in the fight or flee.

Phase 4 maybe? :blink:

Agreed! Sort of like when a unit's morale breaks and they run for the hills. This is modeled in many RTS games (like Empire - Total War, which has consumed all my free time over the last two weeks), but I'm guessing that this is also a limitation of the CFS3 engine that the dev team was forced to use.

that was always a problem on every sim i remember. usually in real a lot of dogfights were inconclusive. when some were outnumbered or ammo exhausted or it lasted a while, everybody went back to his lines. when a formation of 10 vs. 10 engaged, probably 8-9 of each side returned home. in games a furball is over when the other side is wiped out. they fight like spartans or samurais.

i think it's coded or maybe AI will never be smart enough for this, but it really would be cool to have formations seperate from the enemies after a while. when ammo is low, when losses are to great, when too much damage occured. when too deep over enemy lines. veterans should go earlier, because they have the sense when to leave to live for another day, rookies stay longer because of target fixation or undeveloped SA. the sense of wanting to stay alive.

i think that won't be possible in our era of simming. maybe the next. but it would be cool.

No, it happens, that they try to get away!

I had a fierce fight with SPAD XIII, and one of the two remaining pilots, whom I had hit severely, tried to escape.

He flew off towards his heartland, and as the SPAD is pretty fast, I had to do some long range shooting, to damage

him more, so that I could catch up with him.

I was still some 800 feet behind him, but made some hits, when, all of a sudden, he rolled on his back and pulled right into the soil.

On the other hand: you can hardly get out of a fight, that's begun. You can only try that with an undamaged, fast enough plane,

or when you still have an advantage of height. Everything else is like turning you back to an attacking tiger. Hopeless.

Edited by Olham

No, it happens, that they try to get away!

I had a fierce fight with SPAD XIII, and one of the two remaining pilots, whom I had hit severely, tried to escape.

He flew off towards his heartland, and as the SPAD is pretty fast, I had to do some long range shooting, to damage

him more, so that I could catch up with him.

I was still some 800 feet behind him, but made some hits, when, all of a sudden, he rolled on his back and pulled right into the soil.

you are right. sometimes they form suddenly up again and go away. it happened once i got seperated from my flight over friendly lines. i flew back alone and saw a lake, so i went down to enjoy the scenery and the moving water, when suddenly a single nieuport attacked me. i was completely surprised, since i never use radar or any markings, only my own eyesight. because of the beauty of the lake and scenery i simply forgot to check my six. i could barely keep my aircraft straight. the nieuport stopped shooting at me (dunno why), but was still at my six, following me to a friendly airfield (reminded me on bruno stachel and his victim, only that i was flying to a friendly airfield), when i reached it, still beeing in the air, he suddenly sverved around and headed directly back over the lines.

so there is some kind of coding when to break up a fight. i don't know when they do that or not, but since it is possible, maybe it can be mor sensitive regarding SA when or when not breaking up. probably it's coded, but that would be awesome and would add 100% realism to the already 95% realism as this sim is. so it would be 195% realistic. wouldn't it be great?

Could be, that they fly away, when:

- they are out of ammo

- when they are too damaged for turn fighting

I had that several times (I still use TAC sometimes), that I realised the enmy (red) specs

moving away over their lines and turning white again. When I didn't or couldn't follow,

they had escaped.

My theory is that it is based on damage or potential damage compared to the state of the player. ( I would hope that they can run out of ammo, it's just hard to measure). It is rare for them to break off. I have only seen it 4 times conclusively in hundreds of missions. Yesterday, I was in an N17 and had to quit the flight early when the kids woke up. (Very realistic, I assure you) So I dove down and headed for the nearest aliied aerodrome to land at. On the way, I passed under a flight of Albatross, two of which dove down to engage me. As they were faster than me, they gained over time. I was just about to turn around to wipe them from the face of the Earth when we crossed the front lines and the flack started going off around them. Looking ove my shoulder, I saw them break off and head for home. I padlocked one and when I landed a few minutes later, I F4ed to him and he was deep on the East side of the lines heading for home. So they do give up, just not as realistically and frequently as we might like. That's why the little "fly close to the ground and they can't see you" cheat is nice in that it helps smooth things out a bit.