Sign in to follow this  
Cameljockey

O/T WWI for IL2

Cameljockey wrote:

It is all good. I never implied that it wasn't.

I know you didn't Sir. I was just taking the opportunity to be ridiculous, as I am inclined to do on a not-so-infrequent basis. I have a habit of finding a whole lot of things funny that perhaps aren't actually meant to be. Apologies if I've stepped on any toes with my big clown shoes.

Cheers!

Lou

I should just like to make the observation that the one thing that the IL2 engine has strongly in its favour is that it lends itself far more readily to online play than the vestigial CFS3 engine we have in OFFBHAH.This is not intended as a criticism off this sim. Many who have followed this sim through all stages of its development will know perfectly where I stand in my admiration and appreciation of OFF.

In an online squadron I fly with, we regularly fly missions with over 20 members airborne joining from all over the globe.The lag and concomitant stutter factors, so prevalent in the CFS3 engine, are vastly reduced by comparison in IL2.

I merely make this as an observation of potential interest to those who do enjoy online flying.

best

nio

It's all good, and with several groups competing to build bigger and better WWI aerial combat sims, we are the lot who ultimately wins. Also, remember that imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Cheers!

Lou

Your Right, but everyone has its favorite game and lets respect this.

IL2 does have a great promising game-engine and terrains can be modifed to Google maps textures. Still my first impression, the planes do not have the OFF look, but It will be free, so lets wait for the results and give the guys the time to improve this.

More concerning are the maps I have played Il-1946 in the mod version (BoB and 1940 low lands campaigns), but It was always frustrated to see the fu**ing Russian maps in a Western Europe Theatre, I hope they can fix this to a decent France/Belgium Theatre.       

Please tell me that everyone realizes in this thread that it is just a package with planes and some objects and a map.

NO CAMPAIGN whatsoever, so what is even the point of any comparisons?

" Please tell me that everyone realizes in this thread that it is just a package with planes and some objects and a map."

Well, actually, it's probably less than that at the moment. It's bits and bobs that might - given sufficient time and effort - turn into a decent WWI sim. Given enough work on missions, it might even have a WWI flavour.

"NO CAMPAIGN whatsoever, so what is even the point of any comparisons?"

Not as yet, and perhaps never. I'm quite willing to let the designers prove themselves by coming up with an immersive campaign system. FE didn't, which is one reason it languishes on my PC, largely untouched nowadays. If this spinoff doesn't have campaign play, it'll go exactly the same way.

I think the fact that Oleg thought about making a WW1 version of IL2, and ditched the idea speaks volumes :yes:

Every variation in any genre of any creative achievement has its supportors and its detractors, c'est la vie. Many of you folks have been around this particular genre a lot longer than I so maybe that's where particularly strong feelings arise.

Me, I'm still a promiscuous flight sim tart. I'll fly any of 'em at least once. If they do what they say on the tin I don't complain.

BHaH is the best flight sim I've ever played. Period. But if this OOF thing completes I'll play it. One aspect I'll enjoy is being able properly to record and play back my missions, changing camera and aircraft etc. with the potential to make machinema out of them. That' something the lack of a flight recorder in CFS3 makes difficult. Not impossible, with FRAPS, as the BHaH preview movies ably demonstrate but definitely more difficult than in IL2.

" Please tell me that everyone realizes in this thread that it is just a package with planes and some objects and a map."

Well, actually, it's probably less than that at the moment. It's bits and bobs that might - given sufficient time and effort - turn into a decent WWI sim. Given enough work on missions, it might even have a WWI flavour.

"NO CAMPAIGN whatsoever, so what is even the point of any comparisons?"

Not as yet, and perhaps never. I'm quite willing to let the designers prove themselves by coming up with an immersive campaign system. FE didn't, which is one reason it languishes on my PC, largely untouched nowadays. If this spinoff doesn't have campaign play, it'll go exactly the same way.

themighty...I designed multiple campaigns for DGEN (the first campaigns after Pacific Fighters official release and still included in EnjoyR's massive patch) ....

DGEN is the actual campaign engine for IL2.

The "perhaps never" is more accurate unless Oleg or Starshoy get behind it and start coding. The map alone is the main hurdle for DGEN.

The only campaign you could possibly get when this is released is canned missions strung together.

Thus only the MP version of it would hold any interest.

Dear All,

I personally think the the IL-2 project can only add more to the WWI scene. However, I must say that not only will online play have more to offer but with regard to 2 seaters players will be able to fly with both pilot and gunner seats occupied with the IL-2 engine. I will play both games........but then where will I be able to find time for RoF.......well I will be retiring soon so what-the-hell....I'll have loads of time then!!

Best regards,

Pike.

Every variation in any genre of any creative achievement has its supportors and its detractors, c'est la vie. Many of you folks have been around this particular genre a lot longer than I so maybe that's where particularly strong feelings arise.

Me, I'm still a promiscuous flight sim tart. I'll fly any of 'em at least once. If they do what they say on the tin I don't complain.

BHaH is the best flight sim I've ever played. Period. But if this OOF thing completes I'll play it. One aspect I'll enjoy is being able properly to record and play back my missions, changing camera and aircraft etc. with the potential to make machinema out of them. That' something the lack of a flight recorder in CFS3 makes difficult. Not impossible, with FRAPS, as the BHaH preview movies ably demonstrate but definitely more difficult than in IL2.

If this sim is genuine, as everyone seems to think, then the above post is by far the most objective; and says everything that's right about OFF and this new sim.

I second it completely.

We don't need a "My sim is better than yours is gonna be " thread

Good Morning All,

I will agree that the work being done on the IL2 engine by folks like Deutchsmark and Python and others will help bring a new WWI sim to the multi-player arena, (and it's high time for it), but that is primarily it's one advantage at this point. In terms of the single player/campaign side, BHaH is at the far top of the spectrum, and will be for quite some time I imagine. While I do love a good MMP battle, until server security programs can truly be tightened up enough so that the age old "cheat/hack/griefer" issues are put to rest, I myself find it much less stressful and therefore more enjoyable to spend my virtual air time in a top notch SP campaign. I can't stand the bickering that seems all-too-often to creep into a big MMP event when a few pilots who are getting their collective backsides handed to them start accusing others of flying hacked planes. Zaps the fun right out of the whole affair. But to each their own.

I applaud the efforts of the IL2 and RoF teams, and am keeping close watch on these projects to see how they turn out, and I am sure I will give them a go when they are completed. And I agree, it should not be a "mine sim is better than your sim" contest. As I said before; its all good.

Cheers!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert