UK_Widowmaker

OT Swine Flu

Couldn't resist sharing this one guys!

post-22245-1241607640_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist sharing this one guys!

LMFAO :ok:

LOL......priceless......lolol

Ha!

Out of curiosity, how many people have died from the regular flu since the "pandemic"? Wouldnt you think its been more than from the swine flu???

Great pic, Widow! I LOVE Winnie-the-Pooh, since I got the book as a three-year-old.

Cute pic, WomenFly2! Yes, that's what kids do to develope their immune complex. Lol!!!

I used to build Forts in the dirt, from other people's thrown away icecream sticks. And

I must have put my fingers in my mouth sometimes. Too much hygienic makes people

allergic against everything, I say!

Great pic, Widow! I LOVE Winnie-the-Pooh, since I got the book as a three-year-old.

Cute pic, WomenFly2! Yes, that's what kids do to develope their immune complex. Lol!!!

I used to build Forts in the dirt, from other people's thrown away icecream sticks. And

I must have put my fingers in my mouth sometimes. Too much hygienic makes people

allergic against everything, I say!

Yeah, kissing a pig is nothing. If people could only see how much bacteria is infesting their kitchens, dirt probably would start looking pretty darn clean.....

Yeah, kissing a pig is nothing. If people could only see how much bacteria is infesting their kitchens, dirt probably would start looking pretty darn clean.....

Iv'e kissed plenty of pigs!...the last one was a Barmaid in Sunderland!!

I'm with you Olham!...The idea that covering everything in Bleach is crazy!...you are merely, as you say, not building any resistance.

When I was a little lad, if a kid in our Street got Chickenpox...we were all sent round there to play!...Got Chicken pox out of the way...that was that!

Now we lock kids away from anything and everything

Without getting all political, because this is not the place. Every year 30,000 Die of Influenza in the USA alone ( remember the flu-shot ). How many died in this world wide Pandemic 7 ? The WHO is the UN. During this time, How are things going in Iraq ? We hear nothing, but I've heard it's been the bloodiest time period since september 08.

Could it be that announcing the date that our troops will be removed, wasn't that clever afterall. Could it be that Lord Obama stepped on his tongue

Well I dont know how the flu is political. But then you cant go "without getting all political" and then bring up Obama and Iraq! :biggrin:

Out of curiosity, how many people have died from the regular flu since the "pandemic"? Wouldnt you think its been more than from the swine flu???

I'd say so.... AFAIK, the official swine flu bodycount in the US, as of this morning, is exactly 2 (two) people, 1 of whom wasn't even a citizen.

As I understand things, swine flu is no more likely to kill you than regular flu. It's just that, because it's out of season, can't be vaccinated against, and apparently most folks are more vulnerable to this strain than others, more people are probably going to get swine flu than the regular kind, eventually. So even if lethality is the same for both, more cases means more deaths in the long run.

It's amazing to me to see the panic over this. You might have heard that Texas stopped all school sporting events and such, which to me is a sure sign of the apochalypse. Those of you who don't live there might not understand, but in Texas, high school sports are an obsession bordering on mania. They've even made TV shows ("Friday Night Lights") about that obsession. Sure, it's not football season right now, but it's still Texas school sports! Ordinarily, I doubt they'd cancel a game for the 2nd Coming.

But the panic is subsiding I guess. The CDC today reversed itself and told schools to stay open, whereas before they were closing them indefinitely.

Kind of a bummer. I was hoping the panic would, at long last, drive us to impose truly effective border security. All the attention so far has been on the few kids who brought it back from recent trips to Mexico, but how many illegal aliens are bringing it with them and not reporting it for fear of deportation? Thus, we'll no doubt end up with uncontrolled reservoirs of the disease wherever they congregate. Unfortunately, it's not PC to complain about that sort of thing......

It's a media spread panic!...no-one I have spoken to has any real concerns...Just the words 'Pandemic' 'Death-Flu' etc sell newspapers...And there are less and less people reading garbage Newspapers these days! (which can only be a good thing imho)

The trouble with Scientists / WHO / and the Media is they hit the panic button first, and ask questions later.

There are so many instances of their over-reacting it's untrue. (Bird Flu and the Millenium Bug spring instantly to mind)

The trouble with Crying Wolf, is that when some REALLY serious sh*t goes down, everyone is slower to react!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

It's a media spread panic!...no-one I have spoken to has any real concerns...Just the words 'Pandemic' 'Death-Flu' etc sell newspapers...

I work in a hospital and that pretty much sums up the professional opinions I've heard. Sure, there's always the possibility that something like the killer influenza of 1918-1920 will develop eventually and every epidemic should of course be taken seriously, but I don't think it'll be this current strain of virus, because there are certain important genetic differences in it. And medical science has advanced so increbily in the last 90 years that the world is now much better prepared than ever before to meet such a threat if and when it actually materializes. It never hurts to be prepared with adequate supplies of medicines and hospitals and medical personnel.

Besides, it annoys me they call this influenza "swine flu" - that's a pig's disease! The virus has genetic material from birds and humans too, so it's just nonsense to call it swine influenza.

They (UN, WHO, etc) know full well that a panic generates $$$$$. It's also a good diversion.

CJ

It was said the United States would

Elect a Black President, when Pigs Flew

We elected Obama, and got the SWINE FLU

And the swine flu turned out to be not as bad as some expected.... :biggrin:

Edited by Test Pilot

Besides, it annoys me they call this influenza "swine flu" - that's a pig's disease! The virus has genetic material from birds and humans too, so it's just nonsense to call it swine influenza.

The pig is the "mixing bowl" between avian (bird) and human strains that allows the recombination of RNA (viruses mostly don't have DNA). This produces variants in the influenza virus protein coat that cannot be recognized precisely because it came from another animal. Most animals have their own viruses that cannot infect humans, BUT when they do cross over, or emerge, they tend to be very nasty with high mortality because there is no natural resistance.

I agree the media is a hype-driven monster and will not defend them for that.

However, in defense of public health officials this outbreak had every indication early on that it was going to be very serious. An analogy is all those Floridians who were numb to hurricane warnings, then Miami got pounded by Andrew. Anyone who survived through Andrew will always heed hurricane warnings now.

Same thing here, perhaps we avoided something because it isn't so virulent, perhaps it didn't spread as fast because of the public warnings and measures. The arm-chair critics likely have never lived through anything remotely approaching a pandemic. I am a historian and anthropologist. History does repeat itself, there is ample evidence of that. There are too many smart people in the WHO and CDC who know more about emerging epidemics than Joe Public and should be listened to.

Edited by Venator

My main gripe was with the Media...agree that the Health Officials are at least professionals! (No, I don't like Journo's!)

Good answer, Test Pilot!

Nothing to see here!

Move along!!! :dntknw: