Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Portraits of the German Aces

Although I recommended to look in to this website, I haven't seen everything yet myself.

Just now, I came across the portraits of the German aces, when I searched for Walter Blume,

who was my Staffelführer in Jasta 9, Sissone. Here is his portrait:

http://www.flieger-album.de/geschichte/por...blumewalter.php

Wow, there are a lot of really cool photos in this, and I don't even speak German. You just have to look through the different albums.

Thanks Olham!

ZZ.

Like these:

post-45966-1242829873_thumb.jpg

post-45966-1242830149_thumb.jpg

Edited by zoomzoom

Ok....so what is this contraption? At first glance I thought they were the traditional flare rack, but its not. Almost looks like a primitive bomb rack from which bombs would be hung and dropped when each handle is pulled. Anyone know for sure??

ZZ.

post-45966-1242830623_thumb.jpg

Can't be sure, but if it is a bomb rack. There better be one on the other side. Early in the War, they had the screwy idea of dropping steel darts ( non-explosive) on troop concentrations. When falling from 400 feet, they could easily hole a helmet, and if it hit in your shoulder, it exited your butt.

Yes, flaschette's I think they were called.

I think too, that it's a bomb rack. Do you remember what it said about the craft type, Zoomzoom?

Yes, flaschette's I think they were called.

...and "flechette" was the french name for this top technology weapon. Almost as successfull and as decisive in the war than the fishnet drop on your six o'clock oponent to stop his propeller or the hunting rifle used by observer in 1914.

Speaking of german aces portraits, i find this while searching on the web : www.frontflieger.de/2-jg1portrait.html .

At first, i was looking for a picture of Wolfram von Richtofen after using the link given by Olham ...I saw a portrait in one of my books about the last fight of Manfred Von Richtofen, april 21, while Wolfram was a rookie pilot (first CAP) ordered by MVR to return at his home aifield, in case of enemy encounter. This portrait was intended to be Wolfram and it was this one (so my book or the site is wrong):

I think my book was wrong and his name was Johann Peter Baur as it's said on the site ( they looks quite well serious).

post-46281-1242855673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snoopy syndrome

Sorry, no, I don't recall if there was a subtitle or not. With my limited German I would have likely not been able to decipher much. :no:

ZZ.

Outstanding sites Olham and Snoopy. Thank you very much for sharing these. I have added both to my favorites.

Cheers!

Lou

Hey, Snoopy, that's a good find! Quite amazing, that a "Zeppelin" crew could even enter and take over enemy ships.

Had never heard of that before.

Sorry, no, I don't recall if there was a subtitle or not. With my limited German I would have likely not been able to decipher much. :no:

ZZ.

Hey zoomzoom and everyone,

If you can highlight the text on a web page you can copy it into Google Language Tools. Use the drop downs to select the languages and click translate. I just noticed that you can also put in the web page URL!

Jammer

post-46217-1242913868_thumb.jpg

post-46217-1242913880_thumb.jpg

post-46217-1242913888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jammer28

Great tool, Jammer! That will help to understand the most of it.

Not perfect, of course, as it should be "...leaves the port of Helgoland 1917", but good enough surely.

What?!?! I'm not in any of the books on there? No respect!

Although I recommended to look in to this website, I haven't seen everything yet myself.

Just now, I came across the portraits of the German aces, when I searched for Walter Blume,

who was my Staffelführer in Jasta 9, Sissone. Here is his portrait:

http://www.flieger-album.de/geschichte/por...blumewalter.php

Thank you for visiting my www.Flieger-Album.de and I hope to CU again.

Best ww1-pilot

I was searching through some of my old files I have and found this photo of Jasta 11. I don’t remember where I got the picture from; it’s been many years now. Something caught my eye and I had a closer look. I enlarged a section of the photo and sure enough I saw an image of a person. It looked as though someone tried to airbrush the person out but didn’t finish. I ran the image through a “photo scrubber-enhancer-modulator” and out popped a clear image. As you can see it looks like the dreaded ace Otto von Stachel, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone could do some research and find out if it’s him. I can’t imagine why he would be airbrushed out. Maybe he was too much competition for MvR and they tried to erase any record of him with Jasta 11. A mystery that may never be solved.

post-46217-1242931625_thumb.jpgpost-46217-1242931655_thumb.jpg

post-46217-1242931669_thumb.jpgpost-46217-1242931698_thumb.jpg

Hello,

thanks for the links !

Olham, Commander Bockholt was also the later commander of the w-type airship Zeppelin L59, that went to Africa to support Lettow-Vorbeck. A relative was aboard this ship, if not when Bockholt captured the "Royal".

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

I was searching through some of my old files I have and found this photo of Jasta 11. I don’t remember where I got the picture from; it’s been many years now. Something caught my eye and I had a closer look. I enlarged a section of the photo and sure enough I saw an image of a person. It looked as though someone tried to airbrush the person out but didn’t finish. I ran the image through a “photo scrubber-enhancer-modulator” and out popped a clear image. As you can see it looks like the dreaded ace Otto von Stachel, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone could do some research and find out if it’s him. I can’t imagine why he would be airbrushed out. Maybe he was too much competition for MvR and they tried to erase any record of him with Jasta 11. A mystery that may never be solved.

post-46217-1242931625_thumb.jpgpost-46217-1242931655_thumb.jpg

post-46217-1242931669_thumb.jpgpost-46217-1242931698_thumb.jpg

Yup, that's me. That SOB Allmenröder bumped me off of the stool I was standing on just as they snapped the picture. The CO insisted they use the picture, and airbrushed me out of it as I looked all blurry and had my back to the camera. Damn! Soon after that photo was taken, MvR asked that I be transfered to Jasta 23b, as I was too 'rough around the edges' for the boys in Jasta 11.

I dunno, at the time tossing a pissed-off ferral cat onto Kurt's bed while he slept seemed like a good joke.

:dntknw:

Wow!...Some fascinating things on this thread.

Was he 'airbrushed' out at the time?..Or has someone later on had a reason to remove him from the picture?

Or is he a ghost!? :smile:

There is just something very spooky about these old B&W photos that sends a chill up my spine!...But I have never known why

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

And I have just realised it's You James...and I feel a right Wally now!!!!!

Hey, welcome, WW1-pilot! So you are doing that site about Werner Dittmann?

Thanks for letting us show some pics here; I wanted to get everyone attracted, as it's a really

big fund of information and photographs. Do you think, some of the people in the "Album eines

unbekannten Fliegers" could still be identified? The guys who made this great simulation, were

interested in adding one of the "unknown pilots" to their sim pilots.

Do you have "Between Heaven and Hell"? If not - get it - it's worth every single cent!

No, even more, cause it grows much more interest than any share! You really get into the feel

of those years, and you realise, how hard it was. Hope to see you round here more now!

Nah, Widow - perhaps just been flying too much recently; nerves strayed etc. (Lol!)

Very good one, Ovs - good retouche and great story! Although I will really miss your "good old" avatar.

Edited by Olham