Sign in to follow this  
JRA

Have you tried this?

When being chased by a bandit that's persistent on poping me to pieces, I fly to, say, 80% throtle for a few seconds and make soft turns to avoid going too fast and getting too slow. Then, when he's about a mile away (or closer), I make a sharp turn, drop the afterburner to zero, pop my airbrakes and hope he's to unstable to shoot my back. The bandit usually (very unwillingly) overtakes me causing him to be an easy target for my guns or birds.

So basically, it's kinda like setting a death trap for him.

Have you tried this?

I find that the cobra manouver works quite well with most aircraft. This is done exactly as you say except pulling the stick downwards wich gives a drastic drop to your airspeed making the bandits overshoot. I was being chased home by 2 syrian mig-21 in my mirage 3 a few days ago and pulled off the best cobra manouver ive ever done and both of them flew straight into my guns. 2 kills for the price of 1!!!!

Mike

The tactic i prefer in the Deuce is the Rollercoaster.

It varies depending on what's chasing me, but spiral climbs and dives, immelmans, breaking back and going past them head on, circles, horizontal figure 8s, etc, etc. All while heading back towards friendly lines.

If there is one of our bases nearby i'll take them at low level right over it. If i feel sporting, i'll double back and do it again. If at all possible, hit burners and try to climb as fast and as high as possible.

The main goal is to keep them at full burner and get them towards a bingo state.

When they are worn down and head for home, stalk and shoot.

One that I've actually used is CMDR Satrapa's "Vorboshka" maneuver - 600+kts, defensive, with low G (either level or in a gentle turn) - just as the bandit is sweetening his gun solution (and is under 1000ft from your plane), pull MAX G for about 2 seconds, roll 45* to his lift vector and pull another MAX G , which should pop him out front, or make the fight neutral and allot for a rolling scissors set up.

In Hoser's case at AIMVAL/ACEVAL he used this in defense against "Hawk" Smith in an F-5E, putting 12.2G on his Tomcat and such a turn rate that eventhough Hawk dropped his flaps, breaks and pulled for everything he had, he could not match Hoser's turn. It resulted in Hawk going from offensive to neutral to defensive as they went into a rolling scissors. The result was a Knock it off at the hard deck with Hoser about 2 to 3 iterations from winning.

Of note, Hoser and the F-14 were fine after that 12G yank, but his RIO "Hill Billy" hurt his neck in the pull and didn't fly for a few days!

I find that the cobra manouver works quite well with most aircraft. This is done exactly as you say except pulling the stick downwards wich gives a drastic drop to your airspeed making the bandits overshoot. I was being chased home by 2 syrian mig-21 in my mirage 3 a few days ago and pulled off the best cobra manouver ive ever done and both of them flew straight into my guns. 2 kills for the price of 1!!!!

Mike

The cobra has never worked for me. I think its a great way to get your tail blown off.

I always try to play to my advantages in the plane I'm flying. If its something with good turn performance then I always yank her over at max G and force them to disengage simply by merit of not being able to follow. if I'm in something like an F-4, I give full burner and nose down. Few things can catch a Rhino on the run.

Plus he just over G'd the airframe. Even if he didn't cause any overt damage, he shortened the service life of the airframe (G damage is cumulative).

Hey, over G-ing because you're trying to save your ass in real life....good on ya, do what you need to do.

Deliberately over G-ing during a training exercise/eval? Dumbassery.

FC

With the way that the pilots were flying during AIM/ACE, they were more concerned with kill/loss ratios and were fighting as though it were against a real enemy because the results of that evaluation would be the foundation for tactics against all-aspect missiles in the future. 9G+ turns by Tomcat and Tiger crews was the norm during the exercise and G-limits were not even briefed - "Pilot Limited" was what they followed, both Blue and Red forces alike (at least on the Navy side).

In the end, it probably did take a toll on all the aircraft (hell, I know they had to recalculate frame life after clearing the Tomcat for 2000lb bombs, because even doing THAT wears on the airframe). EDIT: 159830 was struck in 1992 after 3183 flight hours.

But I'm getting off topic...

Edited by Caesar

"The main goal is to keep them at full burner and get them towards a bingo state."

Never succeeded in that. They head for home at near sonic speeds (Fulcrum) after unlimited time in full burner. I followed one once in the F6 mode and he headed all the way back to the Polish border in WOE after a mission in the SW corner of W. Germany... Seems that the enemy is never short of fuel. Same goes for other MiG's and Sukhoi's.

Only fighter with real range is of course the Flanker, but not the rest of em afaik.

Anything that can be tweaked on that or probably buried too deep in the game engine ? :blink:

Hou doe,

Derk :wink:

probably buried too deep in the game engine ? :blink:

Nothing is too deep in the game for these guys...right?

Edited by i fight by 1

I think one of the nods to the poor AI manuvers TK made was to invioke a low-fuel run home mode.

They won't engage, nor use AB, but they can ALWAYS make it home, usually at .95 mach, so you cannot intercept in a tail chase.

Yeah, it is hard-coded.

Plus he just over G'd the airframe. Even if he didn't cause any overt damage, he shortened the service life of the airframe (G damage is cumulative).

Hey, over G-ing because you're trying to save your ass in real life....good on ya, do what you need to do.

Deliberately over G-ing during a training exercise/eval? Dumbassery.

FC

Is that modeled in game? I have done some very stupid manuvers just to try and over G an airframe and to make it break up with no avail. I know its a bad idea in real life and that thing is taken seriously, but I thought it would be a cool feature to at least reel in the players who always use impossible dives and pullouts to save themselves.

I think one of the nods to the poor AI manuvers TK made was to invioke a low-fuel run home mode.

They won't engage, nor use AB, but they can ALWAYS make it home, usually at .95 mach, so you cannot intercept in a tail chase.

Yeah, it is hard-coded.

I wouldn't exactly say that.

In two WOE campaigns flying the Deuce i probaly shot down a third of my total kills after they turned back. In one case i stalked a MIG-19 for about 70 miles before i had him right where i wanted.

I figure it depends on what year and plane you are flying in as well as what kind of enemy plane you are dealing with.

When being chased by a bandit that's persistent on poping me to pieces, I fly to, say, 80% throtle for a few seconds and make soft turns to avoid going too fast and getting too slow. Then, when he's about a mile away (or closer), I make a sharp turn, drop the afterburner to zero, pop my airbrakes and hope he's to unstable to shoot my back. The bandit usually (very unwillingly) overtakes me causing him to be an easy target for my guns or birds.

So basically, it's kinda like setting a death trap for him.

Have you tried this?

I occasionally do the tactic mentioned above.

Anyone able to do a Pugachev Cobra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pugachev_Cobra

Edited by jomni

Infinite speed, how did you manage that? I find that those mach charts that are programmed into the FM often really limit how fast a bird can go, even if you double the power of the engine or more.

I've done back flips in a Viper going mach 1.4, several times in a row. Instant blackout, but I have never broken a wing off.

I wouldn't exactly say that.

In two WOE campaigns flying the Deuce i probaly shot down a third of my total kills after they turned back. In one case i stalked a MIG-19 for about 70 miles before i had him right where i wanted.

I figure it depends on what year and plane you are flying in as well as what kind of enemy plane you are dealing with.

What I mean is tht the enemy should also experience something like bingo fuel or even better fuel starvation in some cases... But OK, hard coded means hard coded, athough maybe something can be modded through a delayed loss of engine power after damage by cannon fire or a near miss by a missile.

Hou doe,

Derk :good:

PS: I over G'ed F18's, J35's and lately a Mirage 2000, resulting in wings coming off....... (by indeed stupid manoeuvres at high speeds) in WOE

I have a tendency flying Hornets and Falcon's at pulling the wings off... on pullout after dive bombing... so it must be in there... had it happen a couple of times with F-4's as well... but my flight model is set to Hard...

Is that the MF Hornet or the superbug that you did that?

EDIT: I just changed it to hard and tried it with the MF hornet. Its really easy to break a wing off. If you do a hard turn at 450knots IAS you are liable to loose the wing. And unlike the F-15 there is no coming back from that.

Edited by zmatt

I've done it to the MF Hornet, but before the Oct 2008 patch. It took a 24G turn and yes, I was actually trying to break the plane when I heard G stress had been added because I wanted to see how much it took. It happened again at 16G on another flight. Since the Oct 2008 patch, I haven't broken a plane, but I also haven't been trying to, either. Based on the above responses, it's still in there.

Is that the MF Hornet or the superbug that you did that?

EDIT: I just changed it to hard and tried it with the MF hornet. Its really easy to break a wing off. If you do a hard turn at 450knots IAS you are liable to loose the wing. And unlike the F-15 there is no coming back from that.

Yeah its the MF Bug... have found that its around the 500kts mark and depends what payload I have on the bird... for example lower speeds when carrying bombs higher for clean wings...