Sign in to follow this  
stumpjumper

best turn out yet on mp

to busy hosting but i dod manage the importnat screenie

to busy hosting but i dod manage the importnat screenie

Very cool! Great job everyone! I did hear from Fokker, he was having serious computer problems and couldn't join early on. He finally chimed in at the end after we had been flying for 4, yes I said 4 - HOURS!

yep,,as always, that was a great time.

thanks all for joining in.

Damn!! I was going to join in last night as well... I had to finish painting some molding on a window I recently put in...sux for me! :shok:

OvS

Good fun. Hopefully next time I'll have my gotha files straight.....oh and my mic working too.

-Rooster

I would need a tutorial on how to do the multiplayer, as I have no idea what extra's (software and hardware) are needed besides the OFF program. Could anyone write one up, step by step?

Besides the 'hard' damage model. what other 'optional' add on's are necessary to join a mp session with ya'll? Do I need to dl specific missions/planes/etc? I'd love to try and get in on a session or two!

I've taken the liberty of adding a .rar file on the downloads section (Aircraft Models) called MP.rar that contains everything you need that we've been using lately to fly MP together. It contains two aircraft models, the Gotha and the Zeppelin, and the pylons and weapons for the Gotha. It also contains the searchlights and sirens from the "Gothas along the Thames" mission by RAF_Louvert, which the boys fly regularly.

You can find the file here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=9109

{I added this file in order to make it convenient for others to get what they need to join MP, but if doing so is a problem for anyone involved in making these files, just let me know and I'll take it down). As Stump says, we often fly stock (with just hard core damage), but these are the files we sometimes use. Having them installed will not affect your ability to join when we fly stock. But when we use these files, you must have them to join.

Edited by griphos

Besides the 'hard' damage model. what other 'optional' add on's are necessary to join a mp session with ya'll? Do I need to dl specific missions/planes/etc? I'd love to try and get in on a session or two!

we generally are useing all stock items a lot fo times when we have new ppl join us then slowly add in other items for them,

doves and hawks is proud that we take the time to make the online expereince a good one

we generally are useing all stock items a lot fo times when we have new ppl join us then slowly add in other items for them,

doves and hawks is proud that we take the time to make the online expereince a good one

Hey folks...I can vouch for the folks here. They are very patient and helpful at getting you up and running in multiplayer. Pretty easy to install the files needed as well.

I've taken the liberty of adding a .rar file on the downloads section (Aircraft Models) called MP.rar that contains everything you need that we've been using lately to fly MP together. It contains two aircraft models, the Gotha and the Zeppelin, and the pylons and weapons for the Gotha. It also contains the searchlights and sirens from the "Gothas along the Thames" mission by RAF_Louvert, which the boys fly regularly.

You can find the file here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=9109

{I added this file in order to make it convenient for others to get what they need to join MP, but if doing so is a problem for anyone involved in making these files, just let me know and I'll take it down). As Stump says, we often fly stock (with just hard core damage), but these are the files we sometimes use. Having them installed will not affect your ability to join when we fly stock. But when we use these files, you must have them to join.

Now that was a great idea...everything in one convienent package...

Hey Griphos, I am glad you combined the files together but unfortunately I see that you are including files that are different than the ones I was using and with the Zeppelin and searchlight archive files especially, there is much confusion about how the files need to be installed or what, if anything needs to be edited.

I am trying to make one, all inclusive self executing *MP mod-pack* installer in a easy to use .exe style file that will put all the files necessary into the correct folders for people. All that would be required is just telling the installer where your OFF game folder is, and the installer will do the rest.

Making installers is easy (for me anyway), the hard part is just making sure to include the correct files. I would like to get together with a couple of people online so we can compare what files we all have, and decide on the ones to include into this mod-pack, assuming we get permission from the original mod authors of course.

My hope is that we can once more streamline the whole process and make is as painless as can be for someone new to MP.

I can make myself available for a couple of hours pretty much anytime this week (we can hook up on TS) to do this. Please let me know if you guys are interested in helping me offer this to the OFF community at large.

Thanks!

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt

Hey Griphos, I am glad you combined the files together but unfortunately I see that you are including files that are different than the ones I was using and with the Zeppelin and searchlight archive files especially, there is much confusion about how the files need to be installed or what, if anything needs to be edited.

I am trying to make one, all inclusive self executing *MP mod-pack* installer in a easy to use .exe style file that will put all the files necessary into the correct folders for people. All that would be required is just telling the installer where your OFF game folder is, and the installer will do the rest.

Making installers is easy (for me anyway), the hard part is just making sure to include the correct files. I would like to get together with a couple of people online so we can compare what files we all have, and decide on the ones to include into this mod-pack, assuming we get permission from the original mod authors of course.

My hope is that we can once more streamline the whole process and make is as painless as can be for someone new to MP.

I can make myself available for a couple of hours pretty much anytime this week (we can hook up on TS) to do this. Please let me know if you guys are interested in helping me offer this to the OFF community at large.

Thanks!

Madmatt

Madmatt, I mentioned the ease of the self installer just a couple of days ago in the OFF multiplayer section and very happy to see someone taking it on. I dont know a thing about this process but I can tell you that I would be very appreciative of this. Hoping that you get some assistance. :clapping: Thank you!!

Keep up the chatter boys! Soon with everyone's cooperation we will have full squadrons of real pilots filling the MP skies of OFF! :ok:

Hey Madmatt,

I was hoping you'd take on this task. Great! This is the superior solution, for sure.

I'm pretty flexible this week, so just let me know when. I think Stump should participate, so we should coordinate with his schedule if he has time. I put the latest files in that .rar. I'm actually using the Gotha from RAF_Louvert's mission pack, and the searchlight files came from that as well. I've never had a mismatch, so both sets work, I think. At any rate, we have RAF_Louvert's permision, and with Stump's Zep, we should be good to go. Happy to do any permission legwork that remains however.

Just let me know when to meet up. EDIT: Stump says Wed. aft/evening will work for him.

Edited by griphos

:telephone: I'm calling in the pros!

Question: Can CFS3 connect to Micro$oft Flight Sim hosted games? What's the platform you guys use to host MP games? Does OFF change the way CFS3 connects to MP hosted events?

Question: Can CFS3 connect to Micro$oft Flight Sim hosted games? What's the platform you guys use to host MP games? Does OFF change the way CFS3 connects to MP hosted events?

The game is hosted IP to IP because Microsuck does not support CFS3 anymore.

Edited by Axgrinder

Check on question 2.

Question 1, and 3 if anyone knows.

Answers

1. No, there is no interaction between CFS3 and any of the FS games.

2. So far people have hosted with both XP and Vista. MP does not appear to work under Windows 7 at this time though. I am trying to come up with a way around this but seems to be something due to changes in how Windows 7 works with XML files and may not be fixable.

3. Yes, in a way. I would suggest you read through the MP tutorial stickied above as it details the process or simply join up with us on TS during one of our "Tutorial Gaming Sessions" which we have been doing almost every day this week, and we can help you get all sorted out.

Madmatt

Thanks for the reference.

It looks like DirectPlay8 is the MP engine. Released in DirectX 9.0 it was the basis for the Zone round tables, if that's where it was hosted to begin with.

I would be interested in providing a static MP session(s) and static Teamspeak server for OFF. I would be interested to know what the "community" at large would need to make this a viable solution for always having a game up and running that could be joined and if this would be useful.

WOW!!!!!!!

LOL...lost for words here eric...

I think that would be an incredidbly good idea. Kinda like the old rb3d days,,,when u just go on,,found an open game,,,and joined in,,,,(lousy raf's always used to lock their games.....)

Assuming at start, this would be a single format game (dogfight), just want to bring up one point.

For whatever reasons, Lets say you only have 2 pilots in a dogfight Mp game, then chances are you are going to see planes spin as they fly,,,sometimes even flying backwards, and quite often you get the scenario of a pilot seeing his opponent right in front of them, only to be shot down from the same opponent. Switch to a mission, with around 10 MP pilots, and another 10 ai wingmen, all sorts of flax, ground objects, 12 or so AI enemy planes diving in on us, and there is NEVER the kind of "funny stuff" you see in dogfight. Every so often you see planes "twiching" if you will, but that always goes away.

Unfortunatly, it was the kind of stuff you saw in dogfights that turned alot of players away from MP. Had they stayed on long enough for the mission segment to evolve, they would have love it, but, what they saw in dogfighting was enought to stop them from coming back.

I wish i knew more about servers, and gaming software, and I dont know if what you are offering would be able to support mission play, but if so, imho that would promote MP alot better.

Dying to see where all this leads.

Thanks again eric

ps,,and belive your right about the direetplay8, as it seems alot of pilots get security alerts from windows asking if the want to block or unblock directplay8...

Edited by sitting_duck

Well, I wouldn't say you NEVER see that stuff in MP missions. I have seen them all, but thankfully it's not all that common and rather isolated. I got some of the very things you mentioned (backwards flying, and warping planes not being where they seemed) the other night in one of the last missions we flew. My guess would be these are simply bandwidth related issues. As long as everyone has a decent (and stable!) connection and the host is running through a good system, those issues seem to not be a problem.

Madmatt