Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

RoF First Impressions

I'm not wishing them bad karma. The sim is beautiful. I flew around a while ago, once I got off of the ground. The ground handling is abysmal at best. Were these planes that hard to keep in a straight line, or am I just a crummy pilot? I've done a donut in a SPAD and flipped the DVII on it's back. Maybe I should use a more user friendly FM.

CJ

Got to decide, which eye looks in the right direction (Lol!)

It's because i wanted a "nice balance" that I did the modding.

On my set up I found that I could down the EA almost all of the time, one on one. And every time, the plane would go in, spiral, wallow, etc, but every time it would go in, INTACT.

Unless you emptied your ammo into a Turkey.

Not my idea of a nice balance,

It could be that some are getting some visual damage, and others, ( like me) are not, because of the differences in the computers specs and/or settings?

Or maybe because they really are special shots who choose exactly which part of the planes to hit!

IMHO.the two DMs, Hardcore and Normal, showed differences in the point at which the computer decided the EA,( which the player was playing against, not the other EA ), would go in. That is not the same thing as the point at which the visual damage is manifested.

Each DM will take the modded visuals without making the damage happen any sooner than it would if left in the original. It's fully explained in my thread on this subject.

In that thread I do outline also how i fly the QC sorties, i.e the "full real" scenarios which I use- just in case you think the mods make it too easy in OFF- which, if flown " realistically", it isn't.

Also there, one or two xdp files have been uploaded for guys to try. These change the amount of visual damage, not necessarily the point at which the plane behaves as if damaged.

The contrast is there for you to sample , if you are curious enough, but it isn't going to cost you anything to try except a few minutes - and it's easy to go back to what you have now. That's the main thing

There have been some who have downloaded them, but there hasn't been much feedback of what they found.

Anyway, OVS, I'm sure the guys realize that this is an optional mod. And Polovski was open minded enough to kindly give his permission.

I'm sorry if the thought of your skins being all burnt up upsets you :biggrin:

Great stuff FSB! :good:

OK weeding through all this, from the campaign side, do you feel like the balance is better or worse? Most of the test, if not all of it, was done on campaign flights. We did test a few in QC, but I think the DM and FM are handled differently in QC for some reason... or maybe it's just me.

I'm glad you're putting in the time to look at this. Sometimes it's easier to focus on 1 thing, rather than being the jack of all trades.

Where can I get the new DM's? I'd like to try them.

Thanks,

OvS

Got mine on order from the US. Reserve judgement until I see for myself, - there are always bugs with new stuff. CFS3 looked crap out the box, but led us to BHaH. RoF is just at the beginning.

Got a curiousity though - This video would seem to be a RoF Fokker DR1 flying in FSX. Err, can we do that????

And it looks like the servers might be flaky too.

I think, on balance, I'll wait for them to iron out these basic problems before I even consider getting a second hand copy. From what I've been reading, there may well be plenty available, and quite soon.

Yeah, connecting to a server in Russia from Arizona, what problems could there possibly be? This was never even a consideration for me. Not for a minute.

If they ever pull the 'connect to the server' crap out, maybe.

I haven't had a problem starting the game (connecting)yet. It seems to update and start right away. I'm either lucky or I listen to what folks tell me because I got my problems with ROF sorted out quickly and had 0 problems setting up and running BH&H. I did get kind of admonished (not too bad though) at SimHQ when I said that the tech support at Neoqb could take some lessons from OBD because you guys were no less than fantastic in that area! I really hope they get all their M&Ms in one bag because it has the makings of a really great sim, but things need to be done.

CJ

Got mine on order from the US. Reserve judgement until I see for myself, - there are always bugs with new stuff. CFS3 looked crap out the box, but led us to BHaH. RoF is just at the beginning.

Got a curiousity though - This video would seem to be a RoF Fokker DR1 flying in FSX. Err, can we do that????

Neoqb released a free Fokker DR1 download for FSX some time ago...

http://www.neoqb.com/fokker/

A quite hefty 140MB download....

OvS, you can find my Intermediate DM at the following thread: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=41308

DM's with adjusted threshold values can be found here: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=41821

However, these are only partial DM's for a few planes. Look at the first couple of posts and then near the bottom of the thread for more.

FB and I are independently working on completing two new DM's. His will be based on the hardcore FM, while mine will be based on a substantial revision of my IDM. Both will have substantial changes to the threshold values in each plane's xdp files, with the goal of making damage show more easily while not markedly affecting the overall DM. I hope to have a version of my revised IDM with threshold changes available for QC in the next couple of days. Not long after that, with the approval of Pol and Winder, I hope to have a version available for the entire campaign.

If you try either of these out, be sure to let us know what you think. FB and I are eager for your feedback!

I agree with the general sentiment about RoF, but we need to be fair as well. Even though i'm one of the most hated persons on SimHQ's RoF board, that doesn't mean i can't be fair about the game. It's got some great promise and not much else going for it at this point, but i generally call them as i see them and i don't mind getting flak for it.

Couple of things i picked up skimming through this thread that are inacurrate:

First of all, when people want to fly in multiplayer you don't need to have bought the same planes. The external models are included in free updates, it's the cockpits and the ability to fly them that you pay for. So, if 10 people only have the basic Spad and D.VII plane package, one has the Se5a add on and another has the Albatross add on, they can still fly in the same server. That's probably the only good thing to come out of the whole "always online" deal, since it allows you to choose which aircraft you want to buy. However, it could be done on user demand and not be automatic/forced, plus the fact that the pricing might be steep (no indication of add on pricing yet), could backfire. Say an IL2 addon was what, 10-20 aircraft? Well, if RoF can deliver half of them at the same price i would call it fair enough, due to the increased workload in making newer models for faster PCs. For example, Oleg Maddox said that making a flyable for his upcoming battle of britain sim takes twice as much as making one for IL2, so something's got to give. I think being able to get 5-10 add on planes for a next-gen sim with $30 or so would be cool, even if i have to download each one separately for RoF

Another thing is about the servers. The authentication/account/multiplayer-browsing servers are not only in Russia. There are servers in the US and in Europe as well, even though there's still no hint of a European publisher. The trouble with the registrations was because a lot of people tried to do it at once and a lot of automatic emails were generated for them. So, a couple of internet providers thought it was a spam attack and blocked it. Not their fault directly, but it still goes to show that the online requirement simply injects a healthy dose of unreliability in a more or less ok product. It's not bad but it's not great either and if they have a couple more incidents it could very much kill the game before it takes off.

Last but not least, merits and flaws of the AI depend on who you ask. It's said that the AI varies, with some being rookies and some being very good. I also see that most people who are used to flying WWII sims think the AI is very well done. Why? Simply because RoF has only late war fighters at this stage and these are also of the energy fighter variant. That means that if the AI is good, it won't try to turn. It will use climbs, dives and extensions while relying on the unstable nature of your crate to avoid getting hit.

If you combine this with the short performance envelop of these birds compared to a WWII setting, it simply boils down to what people here described...the enemy flying more or less straight, away from you and repositioning for another attack while you can't hit him because he has managed to put enough distance between you, plus your nose bobbing up and down makes an accurate shot impossible at that range. The fact that they don't turn as much doesn't mean they are bad, it means they are clever because that's what Spads do, hit and run. On the other hand, i saw a youtube video of a balloon attack and the player gets bounced by Noops (i think), these didn't only turn but stuck on his six for minutes on end.

I guess we'll just have to keep going with a wait and see approach. I'm not happy for all the trouble they faced, but i really like how the "hush-hush" forum squad that tried to bury every possible problem under the carpet has disappeared under the closest rock. Who knows, maybe if Neoqb has a couple of similar incidents they'll be forced to opt for a different copy protection method.

Might as well toss in my 2 cents worth, but bear in mind I've only flown SP in RoF so I really have no opinions one way or the other about RoF MP.

I like the FM. Has a well... natural feel to it. I can feel when I'm starting to bite the edge of a stall or spin based on the planes handling characteristics. It just really struck me as feeling very right for a WWI sim. Also like the damage model. Certainly not too easy to shoot down the enemy. I've had some kills where I'd just bang away and shred the guy up and he still wouldn't go down. Other times I've gotten lucky and had a flamer after a couple of bursts. Seeing the gunner in the back seat of a two-seater slumped down after I hit him was extremely cool. And watching planes fold up their wings and crash is also quite cool. The AI seems to be varied. I've come across some that gave me a run for my money and, frankly, shot my butt down. Other times I've seen 'em do rookie moves like diving too steeply and shedding their wings, or not be as aggressive on the attack. And it was nice to fly a campaign mission with 5 other SPADs in a beautiful V formation and watching them peel off to attack a pair of German two-seaters. AI wingmen that actually help you out. What a radical concept (and one that I've seen in OFF as well, I might add). :biggrin:

Visually it's quite good, and I personally haven't had any problems with mapping my controls or ctds or lockups. Not wild about the online authentification everytime I wish to fly, but it hasn't been a problem for me either. Not yet anyway. Load times for missions seems to me to be about the same as the mission load time for IL2. The sound is particularly well done, IMHO. The doppler effect when a plane flys by you is first rate.

Really wish there were a couple of more flyables in the initial release. Honestly, SPADs and Fokker VIIs are usually not my favorities in a WWI sim. I'm more of a circle jerker rather than a boom n zoomer. Would have loved to have had a Camel, but would have been happy with an SE5a.

All in all, after a little bit of a learning curve, I'm really enjoying the heck out of it. It's really quite addictive and for me has more pros than cons.

It still needs some more polish (please activate the 'options' button so that I can play with my settings in game!), and some more flyables. Oh, and they really need to have someone who's first language is english to 'tidy up' some of their in game text. I'm afraid I chuckle a bit when I read some of the mission texts. Lastly, I hope they do away with the silly online authentification.

Me personally, I'm glad I got it. It really is quite something to fly once you get the hang of it. Besides, I haven't heard anyone complaining lately about there being too many WWI flight sims on the market! :good:

I've added this one to my stable of flight sims, right next to OFF.

Again, all IMHO....

Cheers!

WvB

Edited by WilliVonBill

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have tried the damage mod in campaign mode and posted my observations in that thread.

I was reading one of CJ's Spad posts over there and I couldn't help but laugh when one of them welcomed him to WWI!

That's like the new kid in 1918 welcoming Lufbery to the air war! This is what I mean about those people having their heads in the sand.

We here, know of OFF, certainly, and RoF and First Eagles! How can you be a WWI aviation fan and looking for WWI sims and not know of these? Maybe I just don't understand.

Got to decide, which eye looks in the right direction (Lol!)

The one that doesn't move! :biggrin:

Just saw, and went through RoF ad/promo attached to Flight Sim.com webpage. Just curious if OFF considered going in that direction. Don't know the costs, however the exposure to the sim market is large and could solve the OFF sales issues. RoF is listed at $44.95 and their promotion is excellent. Possibly OFF could look into the same exposure.

Regards,

Royce

Thanks,

OvS

OvS S!

Sent you some via PM

cheers

FB

Super Repot Bill,

I am looking forward to testing ROF for my self next week if I can find some time. We are in the final testing for our 2.10 release.

The key parts of ROF seem to in place:

1. stability

2. performance

3. FM and DM

4. Graphics

Sounds like some new game confusion and start up problems with some bugs as well.

I am looking forward to testing the AI after your report.

Just saw, and went through RoF ad/promo attached to Flight Sim.com webpage. Just curious if OFF considered going in that direction. Don't know the costs, however the exposure to the sim market is large and could solve the OFF sales issues. RoF is listed at $44.95 and their promotion is excellent. Possibly OFF could look into the same exposure.

Regards,

Royce

I did... no reply... the usual. I can try again. It might be worth it now.

OvS

Super Repot Bill,

I am looking forward to testing ROF for my self next week if I can find some time. We are in the final testing for our 2.10 release.

1. stability

2. performance

3. FM and DM

4. Graphics

Sounds like some new game confusion and start up problems with some bugs as well.

Yeah, looks like RoF has sound fundamentals... I think it will build into quite something after a patch or two and, of course, some more planes to fly. It certainly has a earned a spot on my harddrive, along with OFF BH&H and First Eagles. All in all, not a bad time to be a WWI sim junkie! :biggrin:

Excellent news that 2.10 is in final testing! I love BoB2... it's set in what has always been my favorite air battle of WW2 and you guys have done some amazing work with that sim. Really first class. :good:

Cheers!

WvB

Edited by WilliVonBill

Super Repot Bill,

1. stability

2. performance

3. FM and DM

4. Graphics

You guys did such a sweet job on the 109 E-4 and the Stuka. Man I love the way they look in those shots.

OvS

I played RoF a bit tonight, no problems loading it up.

The graphics on the planes are great, ground graphics are decent.

There aren't enough airplanes yet, it feels like a demo in that regard. I'm interested in seeing more of them.

The interface is cumbersome and has dead ends.

Flight control assignments are cumbersome too.

The flight model is ok, but it feels very jerky, similar to PAW Gold was back in the day. It just doesn't feel smooth-- the flight model makes it feel like a hand is randomly push and pulling and jerking everything about. I understand instability is part of an advanced flight model, but this feels like someone is shaking the screen to try to get you to have a seizure.

Sounds are good, I think.

I love the smooth graphics of the instruments-- cockpits are nice too.

Overall it's a game with potential, but it's still sort of like a cumbersome demo right now, not a full commercial release. I give the nod to OFF for sure-- it just has a more comprehensive feel. RoF has a ways to go-- hopefully they'll get it together.

I just got back from a little jaunt over the front in a SPAD myself. I landed next to the trenches and watched an artillery barrage. Pretty cool, until they started getting to close! The more I tweak it to fit my rig the better it runs. About the only thing I don't have on as far as graphics is Bloom and Post Saturation. I turned them off and the fps went up considerably. I also changed the terrain from high to medium. It's pretty smooth now. The planes look great as do the cockpits. They would look much better (as would the terrain) if you could use more AA/AF. I've got them both maxed in the game, AA at 4x and AF at 8x. I tried going to Nvidia Control Panel and set it to override the application setting but it didn't help. If I could get rid of the "jaggies" it'd be great. The screenshots show what I mean. See the difference in similar views from the SPAD in RoF and BH&H. I hate jaggies! :angry2:

I just got back from a little jaunt over the front in a SPAD myself. I landed next to the trenches and watched an artillery barrage. Pretty cool, until they started getting to close! The more I tweak it to fit my rig the better it runs. About the only thing I don't have on as far as graphics is Bloom and Post Saturation. I turned them off and the fps went up considerably. I also changed the terrain from high to medium. It's pretty smooth now. The planes look great as do the cockpits. They would look much better (as would the terrain) if you could use more AA/AF. I've got them both maxed in the game, AA at 4x and AF at 8x. I tried going to Nvidia Control Panel and set it to override the application setting but it didn't help. If I could get rid of the "jaggies" it'd be great. The screenshots show what I mean. See the difference in similar views from the SPAD in RoF and BH&H. I hate jaggies! :angry2:

It's hard to believe that anyone has been able to get that CFS3 engine to look so good. Considering RoF is all new graphics and a new engine, while OFF is running on a CFS3 limitation and looking almost as good is really amazing to me.

CJ, your BHaH craft are without any jags! That makes me fever for the (coming soon) moment,

when I can fly it with my HD 4870 and 8400 processor!

Guys, Pol just received his copy of ROF and it seems that AA is not working or we simply dunno how to enable it yet...maybe needs to be done at the card profile level.

My copy is in African Limbo so cannot comment on how to get AA working.

I am a bit peeved that I paid over 50 US dollars for two craft and moreover no campaign (very important to me) but of course I have to have it anyway....

WM

Guys, Pol just received his copy of ROF and it seems that AA is not working or we simply dunno how to enable it yet...maybe needs to be done at the card profile level.

My copy is in African Limbo so cannot comment on how to get AA working.

I am a bit peeved that I paid over 50 US dollars for two craft and moreover no campaign (very important to me) but of course I have to have it anyway....

WM

As I said in our emails... I'm going to pass. I can spend that same $50 on parts for my Nova.

OFF:BHaH has everything I need as a player. As a German flier, my choices are Fokker D.VII, and what... Albatros D.Va? No D.III, no OAW D.III (better than D.Va), no Pfalz, Dr.1... E.V... nothing. I HATE the Ni 28, and don't find the advantages to the Spad XIII in a winning favor... Boom.. zoom... Boom zoom.. Ho-hum.

As much as I have collected every other WWI flight sim dating back to 'Wings' and 'Blue Max', this is one that I just have to pass on... not enough content to consider it a true WWI simulator.

OvS