Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

RoF First Impressions

As I said in our emails... I'm going to pass. I can spend that same $50 on parts for my Nova.

OFF:BHaH has everything I need as a player. As a German flier, my choices are Fokker D.VII, and what... Albatros D.Va? No D.III, no OAW D.III (better than D.Va), no Pfalz, Dr.1... E.V... nothing. I HATE the Ni 28, and don't find the advantages to the Spad XIII in a winning favor... Boom.. zoom... Boom zoom.. Ho-hum.

As much as I have collected every other WWI flight sim dating back to 'Wings' and 'Blue Max', this is one that I just have to pass on... not enough content to consider it a true WWI simulator.

OvS

Yeah James I agree but as I said above I need a copy.... as a benchmark...for the benefit of OFF more than any other reason :-)

Cheers

WM

I'm with OvS - I'll get it sometime later, when they have done all the crates I want,

and added them into one package, just like IL2 1946.

Yet, I don't even find enough time for BHaH - could fly it several times a day!

Guys, Pol just received his copy of ROF and it seems that AA is not working or we simply dunno how to enable it yet...maybe needs to be done at the card profile level.

My copy is in African Limbo so cannot comment on how to get AA working.

I am a bit peeved that I paid over 50 US dollars for two craft and moreover no campaign (very important to me) but of course I have to have it anyway....

WM

Winder,

I don't have ROF but maybe Nhancer can manage to apply the level of AA you are seeking better than Nvidia control panel. It works very well in OFF and FSX for me.

Winder,

I don't have ROF but maybe Nhancer can manage to apply the level of AA you are seeking better than Nvidia control panel. It works very well in OFF and FSX for me.

Thanks Dimus, I dont have my copy yet either - ordered it a long time back but delivery to SA is always slow.

I doubt that I will ever find time to fly as basically since I started OFF I never play games - have a pile of new games here unplayed - I simply bought a copy of ROF for OBD purposes as its important for me to do my own comparisons and plan for the future.

Ta

WM

Honestly, after having it for a few days...I like it less and less the more I tried to play it. As others have mentioned, jaggies that won't go away, dead end menus, a flight model that bounces you around non-stop so you can't even shoot straight, the lack of planes, the not very good at all AI. The controls are very non-intuitive and I still can't get my TrackIR to function properly with it. Then I asked myself, why am I even bothering to work so hard to make this work? It's a game that is supposed to be enjoyable and it's not. I hope they fix it all, but really I'm pretty peeved that they released the game in the state that it is in. It's buggy, incomplete and shallow.

I'm back to OFF BHaH for all of my gaming time. There isn't a better game out there for any amount of money and it's still only going to just keep getting better.

Hellshade

I simply bought a copy of ROF for OBD purposes as its important for me to do my own comparisons and plan for the future.

Ta

WM

A good plan. :good:

A good plan. :good:

Hey Dimus, where you been? Nice to see you back!

OvS

Guys, Pol just received his copy of ROF and it seems that AA is not working or we simply dunno how to enable it yet...maybe needs to be done at the card profile level.

I am a bit peeved that I paid over 50 US dollars for two craft and moreover no campaign (very important to me) but of course I have to have it anyway....

WM

Winder, Pol, I have a fix for the graphics, the only thing is you have to do without some of the effects. Go into Settings and turn off all post effects (Bloom, Post Saturation, blood, etc). Then go to Nvidia Control panel and override application settings and Vsync force on. It cleared mine up considerably. You can see the difference. It doesn't completely eliminate it but it's a big improvement.

Edited by Cameljockey

Hmmmm. I'm a freak for squadron/jasta insignia and aircraft markings. That's where so much character comes from with these crates IMHO. Nice looking Spad in the pics but actually I find it missing the character that I desire. Generic. Very nice but where's the soul?

Bouncing around there are two factors, plenty of wind gusts for a start sometime, so it's often getting blown dramatically depending on the weather I guess, the other is there seems lots of damping on the rudder on the SPAD and its quite sensitive in places.

Thanks for the tips CJ will try, BTW that shot of OFF, turn up anisotropic filtering should remove that moire pattern on the grass (force that on).

This RoF leaves me colder than a cold thing in a very cold place.

WM

Yes, I agree. We need to review what a new developer has done.

I feel we are paying for and reviewing a new Flight Sim Engine as well.

I also needed to review ROF's AI.

BTW, Winder, I have the same problem with time for checking out new games but it must be done or we are uninformed.

I've got the AF wide open as well as AA. Maybe it's just the angle.

This RoF leaves me colder than a cold thing in a very cold place.

I don't think anyone lives in the RoF version of France. I don't see any houses. Looks pretty barren. Is there a setting to add more scenery, like FSX has?

I don't think anyone lives in the RoF version of France. I don't see any houses. Looks pretty barren. Is there a setting to add more scenery, like FSX has?

Yes- I've seen towns and buildings in the game, but the scenery seems to be either town with many buildings, or very open, buildingless landscape.

That said, the graphics of what is there are pretty decent.

Hey Dimus, where you been? Nice to see you back!

OvS

Oh I've been around OvS just did not post much. Thanks for asking.

To be honest I haven't fired up OFF for some time now mainly due to the fact that if I do I would have to spend some considerable time on it to give it justice. My free time is devoted to studying for the PPL written exams which I have wrongly postponed so far. I have now exceeded the 30 hour flight time mark with 8 solo flights and I need to focus if I ever wish to finish. Getting ready for my long range navigation flights too. Hey, now that I think about it, perhaps OFF is good practice on that :rolleyes: .

Now on with the thread subject.

...wow. Just been reading through some of the posts on SimHQ. I feel like I made the right choice in not buying RoF right off. Maybe (probably...if they remove the internet connection requirement) down the road, in 6-12 months, but right now...no way... :dntknw:

Edited by steve58

...wow. Just been reading through some of the posts on SimHQ. I feel like I made the right choice in not buying RoF right off. Maybe (probably...if they remove the internet connection requirement) down the road, in 6-12 months, but right now...no way... :dntknw:

I'll tell you what you are NOT missing. $39.95 + S&H.

Hellshade

Cameljockey - is there a setting for "scenery detail" ? And if so, how high is your's set?

Cause: the SPAD looks good, but the landscape is cold and without "a grain of grass and daisies".

I have just returned from a flight around Phalempin in August (in BHaH that is), and after fighting,

the land underneath my wings looked so inviting, I would have liked to get me a picknick from our

canteen, and fly somewhere near a forrest or a lake.

BHaH "lives" - when I fly in there, I LIVE in there - haven't got that feeling much on other sims.

It is an art (and maybe some luck?) to get it made like that.

A comparison would be movies - every director wants to create a movie, that "lives", that draughts

you inside, and makes it a "felt story" - but even really good directors can't predict, if their next

work will be like that. And sometimes they just don't work. (A German's description - hope it gets

understood?)

Cameljockey - is there a setting for "scenery detail" ? And if so, how high is your's set?

Cause: the SPAD looks good, but the landscape is cold and without "a grain of grass and daisies".

I have just returned from a flight around Phalempin in August (in BHaH that is), and after fighting,

the land underneath my wings looked so inviting, I would have liked to get me a picknick from our

canteen, and fly somewhere near a forrest or a lake.

BHaH "lives" - when I fly in there, I LIVE in there - haven't got that feeling much on other sims.

It is an art (and maybe some luck?) to get it made like that.

A comparison would be movies - every director wants to create a movie, that "lives", that draughts

you inside, and makes it a "felt story" - but even really good directors can't predict, if their next

work will be like that. And sometimes they just don't work. (A German's description - hope it gets

understood?)

I find the nature of OFF's terrain is such that I'm easily able to supply the finer detail from my own imagination. I've never been able to do that with any other sim. I'm not sure what it is exactly, the combination of colours allied with certain types of feature perhaps. I'm also not sure if it's just a happy accident or the result of somebody with a rare talent, but whatever, it works incredibly well.

Having said that, the front lines are rather sucky, the only part of the terrain that's a let-down. There are too few trenches, and those that are there are not continuous or even going in the right direction in most cases. Buy I understand why (I think)...a limitation of geo-morphous tiling.

Yes, I think it's this very sensitive way of getting it coloured right, Siggi - all sims and games

that I have ever liked so far, had a good adaption and adjustment, "fine tuning" of the colours

in an own, special and characteristic way - that is an art is that! Whoever made that here, had

a really good eye and senses for his work.

Oh I've been around OvS just did not post much. Thanks for asking.

To be honest I haven't fired up OFF for some time now mainly due to the fact that if I do I would have to spend some considerable time on it to give it justice. My free time is devoted to studying for the PPL written exams which I have wrongly postponed so far. I have now exceeded the 30 hour flight time mark with 8 solo flights and I need to focus if I ever wish to finish. Getting ready for my long range navigation flights too. Hey, now that I think about it, perhaps OFF is good practice on that :rolleyes: .

Now on with the thread subject.

Good to hear about the PPL. I hope you get it soon. I never went for mine, and sorry I didn't. All my buddies at school (Riddle) were pilots and FI's, so I should have done it then. I was the only A&P in the group, so I was always asked to go alone as insurance in case something happened... as if I could do anything other than scream my head off if we were in an uncontrolled stall.... go figure.

But I'm sure you must have FSX? It's fantastic, and about as accurate a flight simulator will ever get on a home PC. It's better than anything we had at Riddle back in the 90's.

All the best!

OvS

Good to hear about the PPL. I hope you get it soon. I never went for mine, and sorry I didn't. All my buddies at school (Riddle) were pilots and FI's, so I should have done it then. I was the only A&P in the group, so I was always asked to go alone as insurance in case something happened... as if I could do anything other than scream my head off if we were in an uncontrolled stall.... go figure.

But I'm sure you must have FSX? It's fantastic, and about as accurate a flight simulator will ever get on a home PC. It's better than anything we had at Riddle back in the 90's.

All the best!

OvS

Well, it's never too late. I have a friend who is finishing now and he is 50, a family man. If you can afford it then the thing you need most is family support, which I'm lucky to have.

Yes, I do have FSX with a lot of bells and whistles (addons) and love it. I always do the nav practice on FSX, throwing in some weather as well before the real thing.

Well, it's never too late. I have a friend who is finishing now and he is 50, a family man. If you can afford it then the thing you need most is family support, which I'm lucky to have.

Yes, I do have FSX with a lot of bells and whistles (addons) and love it. I always do the nav practice on FSX, throwing in some weather as well before the real thing.

Airnav.com ? :good:

Yeah, some day, I hope to get mine, and a Seaplane rating. I always wanted a 206 or 172 of floats, on a lake. Dreams....

Dreams supply the "engine" with energy.

But remember, OvS - with those huge floats, dogfighting gets most impossible (Lol!)