Sign in to follow this  
eraser_tr

Constant drifting to the left?

This is going to sound stupid at first, but how do you fix (what to look out for in the data.ini) making a plane constantly bank to the left?

I know a tiny bit of drift is alright, but in some planes it reaches a level of being near unflyable. The worst culprits are the AV-8C and F-5s apparently, but it mostly happens with lighter planes. My best guess is something in older flight models causing it, just how to fix it?

This is going to sound stupid at first, but how do you fix (what to look out for in the data.ini) making a plane constantly bank to the left?

I know a tiny bit of drift is alright, but in some planes it reaches a level of being near unflyable. The worst culprits are the AV-8C and F-5s apparently, but it mostly happens with lighter planes. My best guess is something in older flight models causing it, just how to fix it?

I've noticed it with stock planes as well, in all different versions of the game.

Look around for the "trim" fix so you can just trim your plane. (Go into your control file .ini look for the roll and pitch entries toward the bottom, and lower the control rate to something like .25 and change self center to 0. This affects the arrow keys only, and they now function as trim.

edit - they're about 1/2 way down:

[RangedControl001]

AxisControl=PITCH_CONTROL

MaxValue=1000.000000

MinValue=-1000.000000

DeadZone=10.000000

Saturation=100.000000

ReverseJoystick=TRUE

MouseScale=1.000000

UseMouseRate=FALSE

ReverseMouse=FALSE

LimitValue=TRUE

SelfCenterRate=0.000000

KeyControlRate=0.250000

AllowKeyControl=TRUE

IncreaseControl=PITCH_DOWN

DecreaseControl=PITCH_UP

CenterControl=

[RangedControl002]

AxisControl=YAW_CONTROL

MaxValue=1000.000000

MinValue=-1000.000000

DeadZone=10.000000

Saturation=100.000000

ReverseJoystick=FALSE

MouseScale=1.000000

UseMouseRate=FALSE

ReverseMouse=FALSE

LimitValue=TRUE

SelfCenterRate=2.000000

KeyControlRate=1.000000

AllowKeyControl=TRUE

IncreaseControl=YAW_RIGHT

DecreaseControl=YAW_LEFT

CenterControl=

[RangedControl003]

AxisControl=ROLL_CONTROL

MaxValue=1000.000000

MinValue=-1000.000000

DeadZone=10.000000

Saturation=100.000000

ReverseJoystick=FALSE

MouseScale=1.000000

UseMouseRate=FALSE

ReverseMouse=FALSE

LimitValue=TRUE

SelfCenterRate=0.000000

KeyControlRate=0.250000

AllowKeyControl=TRUE

IncreaseControl=ROLL_RIGHT

DecreaseControl=ROLL_LEFT

CenterControl=

Should this go in the KB? What section? I can add it.

Edited by malibu43

Are you sure it's not your game-controller? Maybe you have it set a bit too sensitive, and what you're experiencing is due to controller-drift, not the FM.

actually we facing the same problem with the buccaneer , the plane starts drifting to the left antil it goes in to left turn with nose down , you can control it with your hands on the stick , first we thought it comes from the model but now i thing it is something in the data.ini

i just have no clue what it could be

I'm no flight model expert - but in the past my similar experiences were an error in the data.ini - copy and paste to make sure symmetry in your values, that can indeed cause this (but may not be the ONLY thing that can...)

Mike

When editing data.inis...its easy to copy and paste entries for meshes and overlook an item that causes roll problems...

its this..

the Ymac entries for wings,and stabs...

Chord=3.54

Ymac=-1.64 <<<

-1.64 for left side of a\c and

1.64 for starboard...

check the model isnt showing the same instance for both the surfaces....

Edited by russouk2004

Are you sure it's not your game-controller? Maybe you have it set a bit too sensitive, and what you're experiencing is due to controller-drift, not the FM.

Yeah, only certain planes that do it, the tiny drift may be the joystick, but the large roll is the plane.

Thanks russo, to the ymac values then...

this values i have check´t and found nothing based on the way it is drifting i thought maybe the rudder or the vertail is the problem but im no fm guru

for the wing

left side Ymac= -1.06

right side Ymac= 1.06

for the outer wing

left side Ymac= -1.92

right side Ymac= 1.92

First, check for asymmetry in the loadouts.

Second, check the data.ini like everyone says, including things like mass fraction in components, internal fuel tanks, and specifically the Ymac values, I've caught that a few times.

Third, do this check: If in normal mode, the aircraft flies fine, but in hard mode, the aircraft banks, even trying to bank on the ground like it has a heavy wing, there is something wrong with the model. Also, check to see if it does it with weapons loaded or not (I don't mean weapons which are then jettisioned, I'm specifically talking about weapon pylons). If it only shows up in hard mode, the problem is that one or more of meshes, the pivot point is different that it's cooresponding mesh on the opposite side.

In hard mode, the program takes the location of the pivot into account when applying mass to work out moments. In the F-107, I had forgotten that all the pivot points of the pylons were concentrated in the left outboard pylon location...so everytime anything was loaded, even after it was jettisoned, it took the weight of the pylons and applied them at the left outboard. It didn't do this in normal mode. The only way to fix it was to fix the model.

FC