Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Do downloaded aircraft appear as AI in Single Missions?

Sorry for the bunch of questions, but I did do a search and came up empty...

I know that user-created aircraft have to be added into campaigns by hand to show up as AI?

But how is it if I want to fly a single mission (say, with an Albatros D.V) but I want to maybe see a Nieuport 17 as enemy? Do I also need to modify files somewhere, or will the game automatically select appropriate aircraft by year and type, as long as they are in my Objects folder?

Sorry for the bunch of questions, but I did do a search and came up empty...

I know that user-created aircraft have to be added into campaigns by hand to show up as AI?

But how is it if I want to fly a single mission (say, with an Albatros D.V) but I want to maybe see a Nieuport 17 as enemy? Do I also need to modify files somewhere, or will the game automatically select appropriate aircraft by year and type, as long as they are in my Objects folder?

The downloaded aircraft do show up in single missions. But on occasion you can be flying a late war aircraft and come across an early war opponent which is a bit disconcerting. I do'nt know if there is a fix for this.

The "fix" is to make sure you have the proper "ServiceStartDate" and "SerivceEndDate" in each plane's Data.ini file. (Month/Year).

As a whole, Peter01's update FM's have the Start and End dates close to reality, but there are some small discrepancies with some dates.

If you are going to add a bunch of new planes, it is advisable to get Peter01's updated Flight Models (available in the First Eagles Add-on Plane section). He spent a lot of time trying to get all the planes to fly correctly and relative to each other with each First Eagle patch upgrade.

Thanks, I just downloaded those since it makes sense to have "relative correct" FMs for everything.

Small additional question: Is it actually possible to backup and transfer the First Eagles Installation simple by copying the First Eagles program folder with all sub folders?

I do it this way with FS2004, since there's such a lot of addons and settings included that a "hand-reinstall" or port to a new computer takes days. FE will not be that huge, but I can see how it's already growing on my drive.

That is exactly how I have all of my ThirdWire games. I copy the whole game and just rename the base folder (i.e. WWI to WWI Western Front, etc). This way, I keep the original game/files and just mod the particular game that I want.

Just make sure your Shortcut on your Desktop points to your new folder/game.

Edited by Panama Red

Great. I guess I'll burn one disk with all the source files and installer, then another with the "completed" game directory once it's set up nicely. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to keeping my games around in pristine state, or moving them to a new system/reinstall.

I always keep the original game "as is" because if I mess anything up or want to check the original file data that may have been over written with a mod, I can go back to the original.

Plus, when a new patch comes out, you need the original unmodded game to update.

It's a good practice that all TW sim vets have been doing for years now. Especially as TK's patches tend to wipe out certain things breaking installed mods, it's best to patch the "clean" version and then copy the mods back in.

Another handy thing to keep is the activation code you get when purchasing from Thirdwire online. It allows you to re-download your purchases in case you lose your backups.

Edited by Tailspin

Any aircraft you have in your aircraft folder will appear in single missions. The problem is, they are selected at random for every new mission. You dont have any control over your enemy aircraft. They are selected by the service dates which they served but thats about it. This game definitely needs an "Enemy selection screen" for single missions. It should be the same as Your flight's selection screen but for enemy selection. Now there are so many planes and skins to use, it would be great to be able to select your enemy and different skins for the enemy flights. I hope TK will work on that :good: . It would be an excellent addition.

The only way to get a particular skin to show up for any plane in single missions is to make the wanted skin to be first in the particular aircraft's Configuration Settings file in that aircrafts' folder. Ex: I have "German Jasta 11" as the first aircraft in the DR.1 Config Settings file. So in single missions, if I'm flying say a Camel, my enemy will be a flight of Fokker Dr.1's of Jasta 11.

This works as well for your own flight. If you want your default skin to be Jasta 11 Dr1's. So you wont have to scroll down in the loadout screen to find German Jasta 11 for every aircraft in your flight. But the down side to this is, I think, you'll always go up against Dr.1's of Jasta 11.