Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

best ace

Great Score hun? Unfortunaly its all me ( yep been killed 43 times) Only had a few last more then 7.o hours by hideing in the clouds or on the ground What am I doing wrong I set everything to easy but still get knocked off fast. :blink:

Great Score hun? Unfortunaly its all me ( yep been killed 43 times) Only had a few last more then 7.o hours by hideing in the clouds or on the ground What am I doing wrong I set everything to easy but still get knocked off fast. :blink:

heheh nothing this game is a typical "at home vs AI" game, anytime the computer wants to kill you off it can "load the deck" with Ace AI pilots or bring them in 5k above ya with 4 wingmen all hunting YOU, while your wingmen fly away picking their toes :blink: You can try to filter out some of that junk but until you can fly vs human opponents whose aircraft are subject to the same forces you are you cannot compare your skill.

Opinions vary but I have been flying this now a week with all the stuff I mentioned, I will leave with this cravte "statistics don't lie but liars can make statistics".

Just have fun with this and realize it IS not very realistic as far as AI fm is concerned.

Edited by BigJim

Nobody ever said this schitt was easy. Concentrate first on learning to fly without somebody shooting at you, that's why Free Flight in QC is there.

Are you using the visuall aids such as TAC and Labels, so that you can SEE who is shooting at you

A beginner want's a manuverable aircraft with great visability, might I suggest the Sopwith Triplane.

Answers to most Newbie Questions are here for taking.

Here being General Discussion

STICKY OFF Tips & Cheats

Just North of your position

If you still can't figure things out, sing out

The only Stupid Question, is the one that's Never Asked

Ok now point me to which "aide" keeps me from being vulched. Like we just were as we were taking off from the field in DR1's, which as I am sure you know are modeled really twichy in this sim so you have your handsfull just trying to get airborne.

This the "gamey" stuff I refer to.... it's just a programmed routine out of many the AI can grab and apply when it wants to. The weather is another AI use of difficulty added, seems everytime I grab a "quaility aircraft" the weather suddenly turns bad and the "wind" kicks up :rofl: which is good for the AI cause wind don't effect it :ok: .

While I am at it, why do I have to write down all the names of the guys flying with me, why can't I access that info when I am filling out my claims report??

Big Jim!

Turn off wind effects for now in the workshop. Unless you are mixing your own fuel, this puts you at a disadvantage, cause you cant mix when facing tough winds...that's often why the ai can out climb you etc.

Take off the wind effects, put your mix on auto, and you're back on equal ground.

Next big help, that I got a few days back, is fly in late spring...very pretty, very decent weather. Summer is great too, tho the months are a bit off from what you have in North America.

And, copy and paste the names of your flight group, into a word document. you can windows-key out of OFF with no issues when cfs3 isnt running....ie when you arent actually in the air.

You can also take a screen shot. I've found that if I can survive a few missions, I'm flying with the same guys...meaning you only have to write their names once.

I use the copy/paste method for flight names.

The ai is tough in this sim, but I keep finding that if I just fly smart, I do ok. It's when I get greedy, or push it, I pay dealy. Put our pilot on easy die roll, so you dont die so often from survivable crashes....

hope this helps BigJim!

BuB

The AI in OFF is good. That will come as a big surprise for many, because it's not nearly as easy as in most other sims to shoot down hundreds of AI planes with your other hand tied behind your back and holding the stick with two fingers. The AI fights back. There's no shame in learning the game with easier difficulty settings and gradually moving on to more challenging levels. If one plays OFF with maximum difficulty it's best to try to imitate what the real pilots did in order to survive. The most important thing to learn is when to fight and when to fly away to fight another day. Being too aggressive will get you killed eventually, probably sooner than later. Another important thing is to concentrate your efforts into learning to know you aircraft and how it behaves in various situations. And the wingmen can be very useful, especially if you're flying in an elite unit. Don't try to win the war single-handedly.

It takes a lot of hours to master all this, so if one is not willing to make that kind of personal investment in OFF campaign mode, it's best to stay in quick combat mode. But the campaign mode is VERY satisfying when you learn the tricks and get your pilot to stay alive mission after mission. Then it's not the kills that really matter, but trying to survive. Good luck! :yes:

carrick58, your beginning numbers sound about like mine. :biggrin:

As you are flying OFF DiD keep in mind that the typical Great War pilot spent between 12 to 18 weeks in various flight and gunnery schools, (even longer in the case of the French air service), ultimatley learning to be primarily adept at a single type of aircraft. He was then sent to the front and if he was lucky enough to draw a quiet sector would be taken on five or six cook's tours of his AO, after which he would be led across the mud and into battle. Even then he was often instructed by his flight leader to stay out of the fight unless he was attacked, and to try and learn at least a little from the "veterans" flying with him, (veterans being anyone who had survived a few weeks of combat flying). The World War 1 flyer battled not only the enemy but also weather, mechanical issues, and just plain bad luck, and all of this on a learning curve that likely ended abrutly with his death. Now, if we as OFF flyers are attempting to mimick that situation in this combat flight sim, is it any wonder that it's a bit trickier than flying an arcade-style game? Yes the AI are good, but not all of them, and not all the time. Our real life counterparts had to contend with being jumped by numerous enemy at once from out of the sun or clouds, happened often. If he was watchful enough to see them coming he could make the choice to fight or flee, but still with no guarantee of making it home in one piece. Sometimes he ran into an ace, or several, with no chance to flee and found out just how good, and lucky, he was. The point of flying OFF on the DiD settings is to find out how good and lucky you might have been as a Great War pilot. And yes, luck plays an important role in your survival.

The devs of this sim have done a first-rate job of recreating the Great War combat flight experience, so "No" it's not easy to survive, not by a long shot. Don't expect to become an ace with just a few hours of stick time, even if you devote it entirely to one aircraft type. But don't despair. Keep practicing and your ability to fly, fight, (and flee), will improve. And hey, if the DiD thing isn't your cup of tea, OFF has settings galore to dial it down to an arcade-style shoot 'em up if that is what you like. To each his own. OFF really is very versatile in that regard, and I've tried flying it in just about every setting configuration imaginable over the last few months.

Cheers!

Lou

As you are flying OFF DiD keep in mind that the typical Great War pilot spent between 12 to 18 weeks in various flight and gunnery schools, (even longer in the case of the French air service), ultimatley learning to be primarily adept at a single type of aircraft. He was then sent to the front and if he was lucky enough to draw a quiet sector would be taken on five or six cook's tours of his AO, after which he would be led across the mud and into battle. Even then he was often instructed by his flight leader to stay out of the fight unless he was attacked, and to try and learn at least a little from the "veterans" flying with him, (veterans being anyone who had survived a few weeks of combat flying). The World War 1 flyer battled not only the enemy but also weather, mechanical issues, and just plain bad luck, and all of this on a learning curve that likely ended abrutly with his death. Now, if we as OFF flyers are attempting to mimick that situation in this combat flight sim, is it any wonder that it's a bit trickier than flying an arcade-style game? Yes the AI are good, but not all of them, and not all the time. Our real life counterparts had to contend with being jumped by numerous enemy at once from out of the sun or clouds, happened often. If he was watchful enough to see them coming he could make the choice to fight or flee, but still with no guarantee of making it home in one piece. Sometimes he ran into an ace, or several, with no chance to flee and found out just how good, and lucky, he was. The point of flying OFF on the DiD settings is to find out how good and lucky you might have been as a Great War pilot. And yes, luck plays an important role in your survival.

The devs of this sim have done a first-rate job of recreating the Great War combat flight experience, so "No" it's not easy to survive, not by a long shot. Don't expect to become an ace with just a few hours of stick time, even if you devote it entirely to one aircraft type. But don't despair. Keep practicing and your ability to fly, fight, (and flee), will improve. And hey, if the DiD thing isn't your cup of tea, OFF has settings galore to dial it down to an arcade-style shoot 'em up if that is what you like. To each his own. OFF really is very versatile in that regard, and I've tried flying it in just about every setting configuration imaginable over the last few months.

Cheers!

Lou

good point louv,

i'm trying to simulate the learning curve with new pilots by doing only one sortie a day at the beginning. then after some more flight hours i'm going out twice and then as often as i get sorties a day.

i don't think you came to the mess, said hello to everybody and then went immediately up 4 times a day. especially in the earlier war. the veterans of the squads went out more often, often on one sortie they took one group, in the afternoon sortie the other group. on dangerous missions you take the veterans, on patrols over friendly lines the rookies till they are ready to take them over the mud.

maybe some day we can choose who to fly with, so if you are a veteran you can take some of the newbies with you. one time this group, next time the other. like it ol' RB3d.

by the way, for every new AI pilot who appears, i manually erase his kill tally so he appears as a newbie and has to earn his kills like everybody else. i don't like it to see new pilots with 8 kills. besides he got transfered to my squad from somewhere else

Edited by Creaghorn

Cheers!

Lou

I couldn't have said it better than that Lou, you really summed up the real-world experiences that OFF attempts to recreate and how it succeeds in a very big way.

Another good example that might give hope to the pilots struggling out there...

I've flown every WWI flight sim since Wings of Glory came out in 1994. I was a die hard Red Baron II / 3D pilot who frequented all of the old Flight Sim Forums, downloaded all of the latest patches and mods, and I fancied myself a pretty damn good pilot after all of my years of flying over the Baron's version of The Western Front.

OFF P2 came along and yeah, I was impressed. Pretty graphics, nice paint schemes, etc. But I could still manhandle the AI. Phase 3 showed up, however, and quickly grabbed me by the nose and kicked me in the pants, repeatedly! My current pilot, one Wilhelm Reinhart flying for Jasta 4 in March 1917 (yeah, it's about to get real busy soon!) has four kills to his name and nearly 5 flying hours under his belt. This feels like a massive success! I sat and stared at my logbook last night as it was the fullest I've seen one yet. And sure enough, as this sim does so well, the more I take Reinhart up, the more invested I become in his survival. For all of his success (I've downed three tripes and a Bristol Fighter) I've had three planes shot out from under me, leaving me to limp back with a busted engine (I hate the sound of a Mercedes engine with a giant hole shot through one of the cylinder walls!) or severely crippled control wires (I've had to land using mostly rudder to keep the plane from rolling into the ground) or God knows what else. In short, I've had some success, but each time I've engaged my pilot has come perilously close to death.

On the gaming side of the sim, I got a little too cocky. I increased my graphics settings on a massive scale and my first dogfight was against some Tripes that didn't seem to know what they were doing. Uh oh, I thought, I've traded away all of the CPU for graphics and now I'm fighting some badly compromised AI pilots. That, however, was only wishful thinking. The next time we went up we came across a flight of five beautiful Bristol Fighters (I frequently use the F4 key just to take in the amazing paint schemes on these planes). The Brist Fits dived on a lower flight of Albatros fighters from our Jasta so I dived to attack.

Now, speaking of past experiences colouring your thinking. In RB3D, you could take down two seaters all day without risking damage to yourself. I fly fairly smart - I try to get beneath my 2 seater prey but unfortunately these guys were on the deck. Sure enough, the AI flying these Bristols put the Tripe pilots to shame! They were weaving, climbing, nearly looping, and each time giving their gunner a kill shot on one of us. They downed three Albatros DII's and crippled my plane! I was lucky enough to bag one, but it was out of pure rage that they had wreaked so much havoc on superior numbers. One Bristol looped up and his gunner pelted me with fire, knocking some holes in my engine (cutting my throttle by 15%) and snapped a few control wires, leaving me to limp home yet again.

So even with years of accrued flight time (remember, our pilots might be new, but they go into battle with all of our flight knowledge) on nearly every type of plane modeled in OFF I'm still getting my arse kicked from here to next Tuesday. That said, it's a hell of a good time! I'm just glad that when our pilots lawn dart from 10,000 feet we're able to switch off the computer and get up from our seats. We have it a lot better than they did!

Carrick, this is a simulation of how it was - not a game. Don't think, you do much wrong.

- First: learn to fly one craft really good (you can do that in fights, but don't get upset - you will get shot down).

- Second: learn to fly with your wingmen (learn the commands, and use them!)

- Third: Train your view - spot enemies early, keep up overall situational awareness.

- Fourth: Learn patience! When you live long, more kills will come. If you die fast - not!

(You must not take on everyone - an ace will grow slowly).

CaptSopwith wrote:

Now, speaking of past experiences colouring your thinking. In RB3D, you could take down two seaters all day without risking damage to yourself. I fly fairly smart - I try to get beneath my 2 seater prey but unfortunately these guys were on the deck. Sure enough, the AI flying these Bristols put the Tripe pilots to shame! They were weaving, climbing, nearly looping, and each time giving their gunner a kill shot on one of us. They downed three Albatros DII's and crippled my plane! I was lucky enough to bag one, but it was out of pure rage that they had wreaked so much havoc on superior numbers. One Bristol looped up and his gunner pelted me with fire, knocking some holes in my engine (cutting my throttle by 15%) and snapped a few control wires, leaving me to limp home yet again.

Once again in this sim, we are sharing more closely the real life experiences so often reported in the memoirs of WW1 fighter pilots who engaged two-seaters. Almost universally they expressed a dread of attacking an experienced pilot and gunner team in a B/R plane, or worse, a flight of them. Also, unless they could sneak up on the two-seater from below the tail and remain unseen until the last moment, the preferred attack was a fast dive from the front quarters which gave them the opportunity to put a quick burst into the cockpit area then streak by and slip under the tail and away before the gunner could get a good line on them. Then lather, rinse, and repeat. Another tactic used against a flight of two-seaters was to try and force one to break formation, as they were easier prey to take down that way. Easier being a relative term.

Cheers!

Lou

Ok now point me to which "aide" keeps me from being vulched. Like we just were as we were taking off from the field in DR1's, which as I am sure you know are modeled really twichy in this sim so you have your handsfull just trying to get airborne.

This the "gamey" stuff I refer to.... it's just a programmed routine out of many the AI can grab and apply when it wants to. The weather is another AI use of difficulty added, seems everytime I grab a "quaility aircraft" the weather suddenly turns bad and the "wind" kicks up :rofl: which is good for the AI cause wind don't effect it :ok: .

While I am at it, why do I have to write down all the names of the guys flying with me, why can't I access that info when I am filling out my claims report??

If you hit Alt-esc when your claims form is up, it will minimize this so you can get some names from your claim form, then hit alt-esc again to bring it back up.

The AI in OFF is good. That will come as a big surprise for many, because it's not nearly as easy as in most other sims to shoot down hundreds of AI planes with your other hand tied behind your back and holding the stick with two fingers. The AI fights back. There's no shame in learning the game with easier difficulty settings and gradually moving on to more challenging levels. If one plays OFF with maximum difficulty it's best to try to imitate what the real pilots did in order to survive. The most important thing to learn is when to fight and when to fly away to fight another day. Being too aggressive will get you killed eventually, probably sooner than later. Another important thing is to concentrate your efforts into learning to know you aircraft and how it behaves in various situations. And the wingmen can be very useful, especially if you're flying in an elite unit. Don't try to win the war single-handedly.

It takes a lot of hours to master all this, so if one is not willing to make that kind of personal investment in OFF campaign mode, it's best to stay in quick combat mode. But the campaign mode is VERY satisfying when you learn the tricks and get your pilot to stay alive mission after mission. Then it's not the kills that really matter, but trying to survive. Good luck! :yes:

Well I have been flying off and online flight sims since 1984, is that enought time? Correct me if I am wrong but it isn't this FM based on cfs3?? I find that in certain manuvers in this game (as compared to others) that the aircraft "depart" much too quickly and usually are "unrecoverable" even though in most cases these old birds recovered quite well in proper hands. Example an aileron roll to the left in a DR1 seems to cause immediate departure, while one to the right does not (even though in the left hand one I used rudder authority to offset the torque).

In all other sims the DR1 was capabile of a "flat turn" with rudder authority only being applied, here the plane departs after more than 60 degrees of turn. These are not "game breakers" but will cause some yelps from some of us "oldtimers" who are used to a different FM, but for me the AI always arriving 5k above me for advantage is tidious, I point these things out as something that needs to be looked at for possible fixing.

If this game was placed in an Aces High II setting with everyone being online and every enemy being human I think most of my complaints/suggestions would be gone because there would be no "the AI isn't effected by wind" type of things.

Thanks for the tips on filling out the claim forms (I tried something simular but it didn't work I must have messed up somehow :yes:

There used to be a vibrante on-line presence in OFF. However it utilized the CFS3 Server, which Mickysoft in it's infanite wisdom, pulled the plug permenantly.

The Aileron roll, a very basic manuver, just can't be done at the low speed of 110mph, and the low HP engines of the time. Especially with a high drag biplane

Some aircraft make a better attempt than others.

The Flat-Turn was very highly publicized, with the DR1. And I've been told by actual pilots who flew reproduction DR1's, that it can indeed be done.

That might be the difference between a Sim, and the real thing

Yes I really have to laugh when Lou equates an FM to "arcade style" if it is not overly difficult, making a plane fly to its' spec's IS the proper FM, if it is made overly hard to impress some "computer jocks" that doesn't make it correct.

The WWI pilot had it hard enough, and making his mount unrealistic is just silly, this sim offers sooo much in its content that I don't think it needs overblown characteristics in its' FM. If you are indeed an "old" vet at these games you SHOULD be able to easily over come the AI unless they daisy chain copious amounts of what WoW players call adds. This was the situation my last flight (no matter which way I evaded there was another on my six and more coming from alt) this becomes an unwinnable situation and if repeated over and over becomes very frustrating and leads to the recommendations you see on these boards "only fly in spring avoid bad weather" "only fly the sophwith tri wing it is very stable" etc, etc, etc.

The AI can be whatever the programmer wishes it to be, ditto for the flight model, and so on.... asking for a realistic FM and AI is NOT requesting an arcade game, actually if the AI is not subject to the same physics as the player THAT is arcade in my book.

BigJim, apologies if "arcade" was a poor choice of words. My point is that OFF offers you a ton of adjustability in how it can be played. I have flown a fair number of flight sims over the years as well, and I have to say that the FM in OFF seems very close to the reports on how a good majority of these planes actually handled. As to the AI not being affected by the weather due to the CFS3 limitations, that is true. But there are ways to work around that, as there are with your complaint of always being jumped from above by an angry horde. I have flown all the time periods now in OFF and if I set the air activity to light or medium I do not encounter anything like what you describe. EA will come in high, low, or co-alt, and seldom in the masses you indicate. I will say again that I feel the devs have done a great job of offering something for everyone in this sim. Is there room for improvement? Always.

Cheers!

Lou

carrick, My biggest problem was when I 1st started simming was tunnel vision

Next was probably diving into imossible situations

It took some time but eventually I set up some rules that have served well

1) Stay high in the fight

If your victim dives, let him go (esp. early in a DF)

2) Stay on the outside edge of the DF

Guy on the inside has to watch 360 around

Outside guy can attack with his back clear

3) Where possible, keep your wingmen alive

A quick burst can convince an AI to break off your wingman

More wingman you have, less pressure on you

4) (probably most important) Look around more that you shoot

Watch the TAC too ...if you use it

Even it you got a guy right in your sights, break off and take care of the guy on your 6 1st

5) (New 1) When crossing the lines, only fight where necessary for the mission

A single hole in your fuel tank can mean you don't get home

That front line is as much an enemy as the AI

HTH,

BigJim, apologies if "arcade" was a poor choice of words. My point is that OFF offers you a ton of adjustability in how it can be played. I have flown a fair number of flight sims over the years as well, and I have to say that the FM in OFF seems very close to the reports on how a good majority of these planes actually handled. As to the AI not being affected by the weather due to the CFS3 limitations, that is true. But there are ways to work around that, as there are with your complaint of always being jumped from above by an angry horde. I have flown all the time periods now in OFF and if I set the air activity to light or medium I do not encounter anything like what you describe. EA will come in high, low, or co-alt, and seldom in the masses you indicate. I will say again that I feel the devs have done a great job of offering something for everyone in this sim. Is there room for improvement? Always.

Cheers!

Lou

Lou don't misunderstand what I mean, the developers HAVE done a great job, and you are right I tend to set the bar high for myself because of my long experience with computer flying, I guess I could fool around with the settings but I notice the minute you start to start to cut things back the realism monitor takes a Huge dip, like turning off wind, I think drops it 10 or 20 percent. I was unaware that I could set AI amounts in workshop guess I better shutup and look somemore :dntknw:

Edited by BigJim

The Aileron roll, a very basic manuver, just can't be done at the low speed of 110mph, and the low HP engines of the time. Especially with a high drag biplane

Some aircraft make a better attempt than others.

Hi Guys

Hi Al,

This is note correct mate, I can tell you from personell hands on stick time (Tiger Moth, which has very similar control characteristics as the early WWI types) that an aileron roll is very achievable in a bi-plane at 110mph.

a lot of work was put into the FM to try and get the roll rates correct, they still have a way to go for some of the planes. but others are quite close. The Pup and Bristol scout both Roll quite well, obviously things like an Fe are going to struggle but you should be able to rotate around the long axis of the plane using aileron in a dive in any of the planes in OFF. that is not quite the case yet and I think thats what BJ is getting at.

The flat turn in the DR1 I have achieved this in a fashion, use say left rudder but apply some right aileron to offset the dipping of the wing to the left whilst using the rudder.

regards Rob.

Edited by Capt. Winters

Hi Guys

Hi Al,

This is note correct mate, I can tell you from personell hands on stick time (Tiger Moth, which has very similar control characteristics as the early WWI types) that an aileron roll is very achievable in a bi-plane at 110mph.

a lot of work was put into the FM to try and get the roll rates correct, they still have a way to go for some of the planes. but others are quite close. The Pup and Bristol scout both Roll quite well, obviously things like an Fe are going to struggle but you should be able to rotate around the long axis of the plane using aileron in a dive in any of the planes in OFF. that is not quite the case yet and I think thats what BJ is getting at.

The flat turn in the DR1 I have achieved this in a fashion, use say left rudder but apply some right aileron to offset the dipping of the wing to the left whilst using the rudder.

regards Rob.

Yeah I used rudder only for the flat turn and it dipped and rolled into that screwy spiral that you can recover by centering the rudder, in fairness I guess the DR1 was abit "on the edge" of stable flight characteristics I know the Red Baron felt it was highly unstable even though he flew it well.

Hell Capt. two outta three is close enough for government work, but in this case it might denote a Yea or a Nay.

I assume that in your flying adventures with the Tiger Moth, your engine was performing at maximum efficency, roughly double the power of what was available in 1917.

And as such the propeller pitch would be totally different, to reap the benifits of that power

Hi Al,

no mate, the Tiger moth has an 120-hp (89-kW) De Havilland Gipsy III piston engine and a fixed pitch prop (Gypsy Major wooded prop with brass leading edge) 86" long 52.7 pitch

Maximum speed: 109 mph at 1,000 ft (175 km/h at 300 m) aerobatics take place at lower speeds than this of course.

this is pretty much the specs for most front line fighters in 1917.. infact some WWI planes have better performance than the TM.

as for FM I did say they were still being worked on, and they werent all there yet, I was just pointing out that some of the planes in OFF do roll quite nicely. and that your statement about HP etc was not quite correct.

regards Rob.