Sign in to follow this  
hood

Gunnery

Well i have finally graduated to DID.My best pilot is at 7 hours with 6 kills but his(my) gunnery accuracy is an appalling 7%.If in QC I get 12 or 14 percent hits I am well above my overall average.Does anyone have an idea what constitutes a reasonable gunnery accuracy percentage?

1) piloting skills, do you fire only when you're sure of a hit, or do you hope for a hit

2) Do you use a FFB stick, because your hit percentage will go way down, as only the first few will hit the target, another reason for short bursts

My eyes are pretty bad, but 17% was cause to celebrate. One night everything clicked, and I had 31%, but alas it was only one night

3) the use of Pedals is great gunnery aid, for that last directional adjustment can be the the difference between a hit and a close miss

Check QC statistics

With a young sprout, I've heard 60% Bragged about, for us old foggies, I feel 25% is close to ideal

Thanks for the tips uncleal.I too suffer from aged eyes but I don't think I can blame my abyssmal shooting entirely on that.25% would be marvellous for me.I think I might make 12 to 15 my immediate aim. I don"t use a FFB stick.

Broadside uda Ba. Hit percentage can be seen after each QC in the squadron debrief.Each pilot's dossier shows his aggregate hit score.

Cheers all.

Great question! I didnt know that it even keep s track of gunnery accuracy. Where do you find that?

Broadside uda Barn.Please accept my apologies for misspelling your name.Haste makes mistakes.

Hood, Boots Blesie (Korean War Ace) wroye a fighter pilots manual that was used by the USAF into the 70's

He stated that the reason most pilots had trouble with gunnery was that they didn't take the time to line the shot up

It's not enough to get on his 6, take a moment to line up on the Engine/fuel tank area

It's also good to get in close

You can't miss when the other bird fills your windscreen

HTH,

Hood, Boots Blesie (Korean War Ace) wroye a fighter pilots manual that was used by the USAF into the 70's

He stated that the reason most pilots had trouble with gunnery was that they didn't take the time to line the shot up

It's not enough to get on his 6, take a moment to line up on the Engine/fuel tank area

It's also good to get in close

You can't miss when the other bird fills your windscreen

HTH,

I usually don't miss when The other bird fills my windscreen but the ensuing collision is uaually catostrphic for me :biggrin: .

I usually don't miss when The other bird fills my windscreen but the ensuing collision is uaually catostrphic for me :biggrin: .

Do you like that airplane you're shooting at? Good, because you're going to end up wearing it any second now. :yes:

One of AI's favorite tactics is to cut their throttle when you're getting close

Used to get too focused on firing and Crr-rack I'm dead

Changed tactics & now I try to make firing passes instead of following in trail

Attack from his 4 O'Clock possition, pass, then pull up & roll in for another pass

You can get real close without (much) worries of collision

Flight paths are nearly perpendicular so he invariably he slides by at the last moment

Have to watch out more for your M8's as they tend to chase the AI outside your FOV as you're zooming up & down

Hood - I think I rarely have more than 25% hits. But with this percentage I can down 6 Nupe 17,

and still carry a little ammo back home. So I think, that's a good percentage already.

Most important for shooting: it must become a feeling.

Forget about leaning over to get the gunsight cross right. I know, and feel, where the tracer lines

meet in infinity. With that feeling, I shoot deflection shots at craft, that are more than 600 feet away,

and I hit them hard. Try to develop that feeling by looking at the tracer lines.

The accuracy can be read in the "review" function.

Broadside uda Barn.Please accept my apologies for misspelling your name.Haste makes mistakes.

Nothing to apologize for. Many pilots have trouble with pronouncing my name :jester:

Hood - I think I rarely have more than 25% hits. But with this percentage I can down 6 Nupe 17,

and still carry a little ammo back home. So I think, that's a good percentage already.

Forget about leaning over to get the gunsight cross right. I know, and feel, where the tracer lines

meet in infinity. With that feeling, I shoot deflection shots at craft, that are more than 600 feet away,

and I hit them hard. Try to develop that feeling by looking at the tracer lines.

25% appears to be about right for for a good marksman.Both you and uncleal quote that figure.Most really good marksman seem to shoot by instinct rather than by science.I wonder how 25% would stack up in real life.No way of knowing but an interesting thought.Thanks for your tips Olham.I can see hours of practice looming.

25% appears to be about right for for a good marksman.Both you and uncleal quote that figure.Most really good marksman seem to shoot by instinct rather than by science.I wonder how 25% would stack up in real life.No way of knowing but an interesting thought.Thanks for your tips Olham.I can see hours of practice looming.

Oh dear.Sorry all

Get in very close before opening fire. Your ammunition is precious; you have to make every shot count. In the numerous OFF videos on Youtube, I'm always surprised by how far away from their target many people are when they open fire.

Well, as long as I HIT my target, I may well be 800 feet away.

Well, as long as I HIT my target, I may well be 800 feet away.

Yes, but the furthur away you are, when you opne fire, the less chance you have of hitting the target with any accuracy. At 800 feet you'll probably hit it, but how many rounds will you expend and how many of those rounds will be wasted?

Dictae Boelcke - rule 3 - only fire at close range and only when your opponent is in your sights. From what I know, it seems Bolecke advocated closing to about 300-330 feet before opening fire.

To survive in an Albatros, I need to do good deflection and good long range shots.

Cause in turnfighting, Nupe, S.E.5 and Camel are better. Now it's in my blood, so to say.

I agree w/ Olham - get comfortable with "just knowing" where to aim and when to shoot. Good deflection shooting is a product of good SA and instinctivly understanding where you need to put your a/c in relation to his ***.

Best positioning - IMO is above shooting downward so you can rake the cockpit and engine area. That tends to get results quick.

***I cannot tell you how much Track IR has helped with SA - it is just a must have. :yes:

Yes, I find 25% to be my average. I get in REAL close, and just give a few quick squirts. Best way to kill someone is at the top of his climb when he's barely moving at all, then unload all over his engine and cockpit.

Yes, I find 25% to be my average. I get in REAL close, and just give a few quick squirts. Best way to kill someone is at the top of his climb when he's barely moving at all, then unload all over his engine and cockpit.

...and that position works well too! :yes:

Hrm....must be missing something.

I tried flying a QC, watched the review, didnt see anything about accuracy. It's not in the pilot dossier either. Not for my QC pilots or campaign pilots.

Is it an option to list somewhere?

Sorry for being so dense....

BuB - the "review" option is in "Campaign". After a flight, you can click it and read all about who shot

at who how many round at which speed and altitude etc.

The accuracy for QC: you start your QC from Workshop. When you get to field, you can chose craft and

situation and wheather in that menue at the left (click at "misiion" or similar).

In that same left frame, you can see accuracy and more after the flight.

Hrm....must be missing something.

I tried flying a QC, watched the review, didnt see anything about accuracy. It's not in the pilot dossier either. Not for my QC pilots or campaign pilots.

Is it an option to list somewhere?

Sorry for being so dense....

BuB,

You need to have turned pilot stats on in the Workshop for accuracy to display in your dossier. The information Olham is talking about won't appear unless you've deselected the 'Return to the OFF Manager' feature, also in workshop. Being at work I haven't OFF in front of me else I'd take a screenie and indicate the check boxes in question.

My shooting is only about 5-10%, but I still often get 2 kills per sortie for the expenditure of only 70-80 rounds. So, that's 2 kills with only 7-8 total hits. My average burst size is only 5-6 rounds. This is with all the realistic and hard settings, using the "hard core" damage model.

This should tell you a lot about my flying style :yes: . The above stats should tell you that I'm only taking a lot of very brief, high-deflection snapshots, which occur at very short range as the top view of the enemy passes in front of me. Most of my tiny bursts miss just beside the cockpit, but when they hit, it's all on the pilot and down he goes.

This style comes from flying in a small formation of Pups being bounced by much larger numbers of Albatri. I learned long ago never to hold still, never to saddle up on a target, or one of the many unoccupied enemies would blow me to bits. Besides, I have to keep saving my wingmen, so can't spend any time concentrating on a single target anyway. So I just twist around like mad trying to keep an eye on everybody at once and taking whatever fleeting firing opportunity comes my way.

Here is a link to a German gunnery booklet, "Horrido!", that was given to pilots since 1944.

Thanks for that! It's worht it for the naughty and humorous illustrations alone :).

Edited by Bullethead