Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Finished DH-4 package released

Here are the new Fligth Models as promised. I have included three models:

1. 250hp Eagle III RFC (default DH-4_data.ini)

2. 375hp Eagle VIII RAF (DH-4_data_375.ini)

3. 400hp Liberty USAS (DH-4_data_400.ini)

Now I have a question. how do you eliminate the second windscreen in the DH-4 cockpit view ??? Since the plane uses the original DH2 cockpit/LOD, the original DH2 windscreen shows up in the cockpit even though a new windscreen was added to the final model by capun in this release, and I'm not an expert on removing this sort of thing.

Thanks;

Panama Red

Bucky, I'm get a few more frames by reducing the skin files to 1024x1024. I also tried the old flightengine.ini fix. Its in the Thirdwire Knowledge Base. Not sure if that helped or not. I'm beginning to think its the 3d model...as in a high poly count.

Panama Red. Thanks for the new data.inis.

Here is a new zip, I forgot to update one small item. :biggrin:

Edit: Corrected version 2 located further down the thread.

Edited by Panama Red

Thanks for those DATA.INI's PR...Excellent work!

RE: The windscreen.

TBH, I don't think the DH2 cockpit is a suitable choice for the DH4 anyway...The SE5 or even the SPAD would've been better, IMO. :yes: Maybe someone could have a go at a re-fit?

Thanks to you too TS...That 1024 conversion's made a big difference! :ok:

Actually, I've just had a look through TK's stock a/c skins...They're all 512 X 512.

Stands to reason then, I suppose,...any skins using 2048 X 2048 will kill frame rates.

I still think it is a high poly model because when I reduced the skin size, to 1024x1024 it only added 2 FPS. Since I have ATI 3780 Crossfires GPUs and a AMD 6400+ CPU, the GPUs should handle the skins problem, but it's the CPU that has to handle the high poly model. With only 2 FPS increase, that leads me to beleive that the high poly model is a bigger bottle neck than the skins (at least on my system).

Bucky, did it really improve your frame rates changing the skin size? I'm having the same problem with the DH-4.

Yep!....I spent the whole mornin' re-setting every skin of every plane in my aircraft folder down to 512 X 512. I'm not bothered about how detailed the a/c are when viewed real close...From normal distances I can't see any difference in graphics quality whatsoever.

Seems to've fixed the horrible graphics glitch I was getting with most add-on planes too! :dance:

Give it a go and see what you think...

BTW, I was reading your life story in your 'Profile' section yesterday. :yes: You're a guitarist, eh?...Me too!

What stuff do you like to play?

I just tried the new DATA file for the DH-4 by Panama Red. Great job on the speed adjustments :ok: .

But :rolleyes:

I noticed now that if you give full throttle on take-off your tail will rise up too far and your prop will hit the ground. Boom!. I compensated with up elevator the second time. If thats accurate then fine. But just to let everyone know. Also the ailerons are still reversed. You need to add these lines for all four ailerons in the data file: "ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE". for now only two ailerons have this. You have to do all four. And I still get the elevator effect at ALL speeds. Very responsive up till about 3/4 up. Then past that, full up, it is unresponsive. Seems to have no or little control. Flattenes out. Full up elevator does nothing :no: .

Oh! Did someone add a different cockpit??? Now I get two windscreens and an overlapping green coping around the stock brown coping. I liked the original better. Two windscreens make forward vision slightly impaired. Anyone know who changed this? :blink:

Anyway, Panama Red, great work witht the different FM's. :ok:

edit: Also I've noticed the bullets and tracers are well below the cross-hairs :blink:

Edited by quack74

If you want the DH 2 cockpit go to the DH 4 data.ini and in the Fuselage section change ShowFromCockpit= to FALSE. Looks to me like the pilot is sitting too low.

To line up the gunsights open the Dh-4_COCKPIT.ini and in the CockpitSeat001 section change Position= to (save the original coords. in case you want to go back to them)

Position=-0.0115,0.200,0.8900

This moves the pilot viewpoint up enough that you cannot see all the instruments with the standard SnapView Down. You can still view them all with the mouse though.

Quack, the DH 2 cockpit came with the DH 4 upgrade. Is your's different?

The cockpit that I use is the stock one. The one with the smaller windscreen and green coping all around. A lot of bright wood. The DH-2 one I guess. The cockpit that appears when I use Panama Reds new Data file uses the cockpit that comes with the DH-4's cockpit folder.

I'm not sure how this stuff works. How is the Stock cockpit a DH-2 cockpit? How do I get the DH-4 cockpit to show up on it's own without overlaping the DH-2 one? Not sure what I did wrong. Also, while messing with the new data file I seemed to have lost my Fast Prop. It's there at start up and as it spins slow prop is there then it disappears. Internal and external views. Any Ideas? The hub is there just no blades. :blink:

Edited by quack74

The cockpit that I use is the stock one. The one with the smaller windscreen and green coping all around. A lot of bright wood. The DH-2 one I guess. The cockpit that appears when I use Panama Reds new Data file uses the cockpit that comes with the DH-4's cockpit folder.

I'm not sure how this stuff works. How is the Stock cockpit a DH-2 cockpit? How do I get the DH-4 cockpit to show up on it's own without overlaping the DH-2 one? Not sure what I did wrong. Also, while messing with the new data file I seemed to have lost my Fast Prop. It's there at start up and as it spins slow prop is there then it disappears. Internal and external views. Any Ideas? The hub is there just no blades. :blink:

The DH-4 cockpit folder is the DH-2 cockpit. With the ShowFromCockpit=TRUE line in the data.ini (see my last post on page 3) you get remnants of the original windscreen and upper cockpit showing up with the DH-2 cockpit too...don't know where that comes from. Part of the fuselage .lod, I guess. They must have changed the cockpit when they released the upgrade. I don't see any original DH-4 cockpit files in the download. I dunno about the fast prop problem. Make sure you have the rpm set in the engine section? Wild guess.....

Edited by Tailspin

Quack. I think I found the proplem with the props. Are you using your skins? If so they don't have the slow and fast prop tga.s included in the skin folder.

edit... Ah...nevermind. The fast and slow prop tga.s are nestled in the default RAF skin folder I think they belong in the plane folder not in the skin folders.

Boy, this package is kind of a mess.......

Edited by Tailspin

I had the prop showing the whole time I've had the DH-4. Just when I messed with the new Data file from Panama Red it disappeared. I dont know what happened. Even when I go back to Peter01's FM it stilll doesnt show.

When you mentioned the fast prop is when I noticed it wasn't working with the separate DH-4 USAS plane folder I created. I saw where the stock skin had the props showing. Looked around and found the fast and slow prop tgas in that folder. Moving them to the main plane folder fixed the prop problem with the USAS skin. If you think its the data.ini then then I suggest a side by side/line for line comparison with the original data.ini.

Thats what I'll do. Thanks for trying to help :good:

quack74:

I just installed the FAST and SLOW props in all the skins and that corrected the NO PROP showing problem, it is not a DH-4_data.ini problem.

After checking, I found out that the ailerons did not have all the commands necessary for them to show correctly. Here is a updated DH-4 set of Flight Models that correct the ailerons. :biggrin:

Hello Panama Red

I have loaded your latest _data.ini V2 for the DH-4 (250). I have setup a bombing mission with a takeoff from runway. Almost half of my flight mates explodes during the takeoff roll. I have watched this occur several times. While watching from external view I have noticed that the a/c wheels are imbedded into the ground at start of roll. The aircraft bounce quite a bit. Just before the flight takes to the air, several a/c take a hard bounce and explode. The ones that don't descintegrate in flames lose power and stop on the grass and just burn. My a/c sometimes explodes as well. Is this supposed to happen?

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Hello Panama Red

I have loaded your latest _data.ini V2 for the DH-4 (250). I have setup a bombing mission with a takeoff from runway. Almost half of my flight mates explodes during the takeoff roll. I have watched this occur several times. While watching from external view I have noticed that the a/c wheels are imbedded into the ground at start of roll. The aircraft bounce quite a bit. Just before the flight takes to the air, several a/c take a hard bounce and explode. The ones that don't descintegrate in flames lose power and stop on the grass and just burn. My a/c sometimes explodes as well. Is this supposed to happen?

OlPaint01

That happened to me too :blink:

I will take a look and see what might be the problem, because I have not noticed that happening to me.

That happened to me too :blink:

I had the same things happening with the Halb. Cl.IV when starting out with the .ini file

A few things to check:

Try reducing the PropDiameter setting (I think the game engine may be detecting a prop 'ground-strike' when the tail comes up during take-off if this is too large)

and check the

RollingRadius=

in the landing gear sections. Increase it a bit to move the wheels up out of the ground.

Also if you have .OUT files these can be opened with notepad and give all the mesh names and their hierarchy (worth checking to see if you have misnamed components).

Good luck

quack74 & OlPaint01:

You need to check these flight models to see if they work on your game. The reason that I say that is that I do not have any of the problems that you two are experiencing with the DH-4 and as a result, it is hard to fix something that you can not see. What I have done in this version (v3) is adjust the prop a little smaller and adjust the landing gear so hopefully you will no longer have the problems you describe above.

Please check them and let me know.

Thanks;

Panama Red

P.S. Laton, thanks for the tips and I hope they work. :good:

Edited by Panama Red

Seems to be pretty good Panama Red :ok: . I still have to disable the DH-4 cockpit because of the overlap with the DH-2 one. How do you get rid of the DH-2 cockpit?????. Also the full up elevator still needs some tuning. Full up still has no response for me. Like I said in my last post above, 3/4's to full up seems to have no or very little response. At all speeds. All other ranges seem to work well. But the different flight models you've done work great. I like having the different models for different dates :good:

Edited by quack74