Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Finished DH-4 package released

The DH-4 has been released. This is the completed version. You need to go to the A-Team Skunkworks site to download the final version. Follow the link below. And you will need a password to download the DH-4 or any of the A-Teams aircraft.

http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/Skunworks1.html

I'll report this at Capun's forum if I remember my password there, but the rudder with the new LOD that fixes the shadow problem has the rudder permanently canted to the left. Nothing I do in the data.ini fixes it. Real nice skin for it, Quack. Great work.

I just downloaded the DH-4 from Capun and have NO problem with the rudder (this is using the new .LOD that comes with the new DH-4 package).

Great skin quack74. :ok:

Heck:

You might want to check your rudders or "twisty" stick if you do not have rudders.

Edited by Panama Red

I just downloaded the DH-4 from Capun and have NO problem with the rudder (this is using the new .LOD that comes with the new DH-4 package).

Great skin quack74. :ok:

Heck:

You might want to check your rudders or "twisty" stick if you do not have rudders.

My bad. Sorry. Using a home brewed data.ini and didn't catch the animation id change in the rudder. DOH! Thanks, Panama Red. You made me take a second look.

Heck:

No problem, I've made simular mistakes too.

The really nice thing about the forum is that you get to check your results of a installed mod versus what other peoples results are for the same mod to see if it is your particular install/PC or everybody in general.

Panama Red

In a couple of days I should have all 8 of my DH-4 skins posted. Just wanted to wait for the A-Team release first and make sure everything was cool. There was a problem with the ailerons being reversed using Peter01's flight model. I had to fix mine. I'm not sure but I think it was fixed in the new package. It's an easy fix for anyone who needs it. The elevators are still a bit tricky. When Peter01 gets the chance I'm sure he'll fix it. But it does work and looks pretty good.

Edited by quack74

Just downloaded the DH4 pac from Capuns site all control sefaces work ok ,but on the ground the tail is in the air like it just made a two point landing.

Any fix for this?

I just checked my new DH4's and they look like they are resting on all three points like they should be (even though the front wheels are a little bit into the aerofield).

Whats up with the max. speed of the DH 4? Flight data says 106mph @ sea level. Supposed to be 143mph @sea level. This bird ain't no fighter...speed is all she's got to get her out of trouble. Just flew an armed recon, blew up some trucks, got jumped by Alb DVs. Decided to run for home and couldn't make over, well, 106 mph. I had a good lead on the Albs and got run down from behind. :dntknw:

edit...OK the 106mph is for the PUMA engine. The Rolls Royce Eagle VIII @ 375hp. 143mph ASL and US Victory 12 @ 400hp. 124mph ASL were much faster. The American version would also give us a chance to use US made armament like the .30 cal. Marlin (need a model) and .30 cal. Lewis.

Edited by Tailspin

Tailspin:

I can make a couple of new engine versions (which is no problem). I think Peter01 made the PUMA engine version since it was more common.

Panama Red

I can change top speed and hp too but I wondered why ? The engine data in the A/C data ini says Rolls Royce Eagle III 250hp. From the little reading I've done on the net the RR Eagles of all interations were superior to the other substitute engines. By the end of 1917 production A/C were fitted with the Eagle VIII. Do you have actual production numbers on the engine variants.? Regardless, IMHO, players should be given the option of flying the better versions and the USAS needs its own Victory 12 engined A/C.

I doesn't make much sense to me that the DH 4 was considered a successful aircraft with superior performance if most of them indeed had the Puma engine....the same engine that rendered the later DH 9 a disaster.

Edited by Tailspin

First of all, many many thanks to all who participated in this excellent new aicraft model (looking forward to the DH9 now - wonder if the FE flight model is smart enough to factor in frequent random engine failures?)

Just one teensy observation though. When I fly the DH4 and look "behind" me - the gunner's cockpit is empty. Is there a simple fix for this? (BTW I have adjusted the left & right pilot view yaw limits in the *data.ini file to 190 degrees either way - I always like to see what's on my tail).

Mike

Tailspin:

I am checking my Crowood "AIRCO The Aircraft Manufacturing Company" book and it says that the Max Speed for the Puma (230hp) was 120 mph, the Eagle I-IV (255hp) was 117 mph, and Eagle VIII (375hp) was 126 mph.

Sound like the easiest way to fix the DH4_data.ini is up the speed to at least 115 mph (using Peter01 & TW's formula of -5 mph off top speed per plane due to "wear & tear"). I can post a DH4_data.ini fix tonight after I test fly it to make sure the numbers match up.

As for the different engines, it said that the Eagle III (250hp) engines were replaced by Eagle VII (275hp) starting in Winter 1917-18 at unit level and Eagle VIII (375hp) were installed in late war DH4's.

Panama Red

Sounds more like it Panama Red. Thanks. Although I don't think the PUMA ever lived up to its factory rating and were, due to mechanical problems, in fact derated for use in the DH 9 in an attempt to prolong engine life....making them even more anemic.

I think I'll use those numbers as is.

Edited by Tailspin

The only reason that I said 115 mph is it is more of an average for all the early/mid DH4's, unless you think I need to make 3 different DH4's ini (DH4, DH4_255, DH4_375) ???

I don't know? There are 3 different Camels based on engine performance. A compromise is a good idea too.

Since Quack has made a USAS skin I'm planning to modify one version to the Victory 12 specs...as far as my limited knowledge of modding engine data can take me anyway. :wink:

Lets get some community input. What does everyone else think? Of course it also depends on how much time you want to spend on it. :yes:

Edited by Tailspin

One more question. Is this a high poly model? Something is killing my framerates. I noticed the skins are 2048x2048 but so are some others I use for different A/C and I have not noticed such a hit with those.

Just downloaded the DH4 pac from Capuns site all control sefaces work ok ,but on the ground the tail is in the air like it just made a two point landing.

Any fix for this?

Yeah, when you "spawn" on the airfield the tail is in the air then it falls back to the ground. If you have your throttle open the seem to want to explode on the ground. I think I know how to fix this but let me do some experimenting first.

Ok, I think I've found the problem. Open the DH 4 data.ini, find the AircraftData section and change the following:

[AircraftData]

EmptyMass=1085.0

EmptyInertia=1843.9,2386.8,3640.1

ReferenceArea=40.0

ReferenceSpan=12.6

//ReferenceChord=1.78

ReferenceChord=1.68

CGPosition=0.0,-0.5,0.0

OnGroundPitchAngle=5.0 <--------change this to 10.0

DefaultArmorType=WOOD

DefaultArmorThickness=28

Component[001]=Fuselage

Component[002]=TopLeftWing

Component[003]=TopRightWing

Component[004]=TopLeftWingMid

Component[005]=TopRightWingMid

Component[006]=TopLeftWingTip

Component[007]=TopRightWingTip

Component[008]=LowerLeftWingMid

Component[009]=LowerRightWingMid

Component[010]=LowerLeftWingTip

Component[011]=LowerRightWingTip

Component[012]=TailTruss

Component[013]=VertStab

Component[014]=HoriStabL

Component[015]=HoriStabR

Component[016]=Nose

Component[017]=LowerLeftWing

Component[018]=LowerRightWing

First of all, many many thanks to all who participated in this excellent new aicraft model (looking forward to the DH9 now - wonder if the FE flight model is smart enough to factor in frequent random engine failures?)

Just one teensy observation though. When I fly the DH4 and look "behind" me - the gunner's cockpit is empty. Is there a simple fix for this? (BTW I have adjusted the left & right pilot view yaw limits in the *data.ini file to 190 degrees either way - I always like to see what's on my tail).

Mike

I mean the *cockpit.ini file of course!

My Frame Rates drop drastically as well when using the DH-4. Dont know why.

Making the three different FM's is not hard, just a couple of days to test everything :biggrin:

Besides the three Camels, did you know there three SPAD XIII in FE ??? They are SPAD13_200, SPAD13 (which is the standard 220hp) and SPAD13_235 !!!

As for frame rate drop, it may well be a high poly model.

Edited by Panama Red

Well if your up to it you may as well do the USAS version too. :yes:

Tailspin:

A quick check of the internet says that the USAS version was 400hp, max speed 125 mph, empty weight of 2732 lbs and first entered combat August 12, 1918.

Do you have any further info ???

Panama Red