Sign in to follow this  

Been trying to figure out what's causing my install of WOI to minimize to the desktop every 3 minutes. I'm able to ALT-TAB back into the sim, but it's a real pain to deal with when circling around after a Mig-17 in an F-8.

Often caused by another program running in the background - switch off your Anti virus - or better still check for viruses - see whats running at start up too.

Scan system for viruses. It could be starting some program and then shutting it down quickly. I had something like that that would start invisible internet explorer for a second and then disappear.

Any good anti virus software? I got spyware search and destroy but it finds nothing. I've disabled the background programs that I know I can disable (there's some other stuff running but not sure if disabeling them would shut down my system).

Well, after trying to figure out what's causing this, I think I've been able to find the problem. Its my monitor. Apparently there is some kind of issue it has with games. Its a Westinghouse 22" widescreen LCD display. I hooked up my computer to my dad's Samsung 22" widescreen LCD and there were no issues at all. Infact, I distinctly remember when I first got the Westinghouse that I could no longer play BF2 on it. I got all the latest drivers for it but it just does not want to work well with games. So I guess I have to go out and get me a Samsung now.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Well, to be honest Samsung has a far better rep than Westinghouse.

Can't believe a monitor can drop you back to desktop.

You didnt install a driver for it, did you?

BTW for anti-virus, I use f-prot, it's pretty decent.

Edited by pureblue

Can't believe a monitor can drop you back to desktop.

You didnt install a driver for it, did you?

BTW for anti-virus, I use f-prot, it's pretty decent.

I've installed and rolled back drivers. Nothing works except the samsung monitor.

I've installed and rolled back drivers. Nothing works except the samsung monitor.

I was talking about the drivers for your monitor. So you do use them..

I don't think most of our monitors actually need drivers and I never install them. So if it is cured by switching monitors, it could be a jackass programmer (on the westinghouse side) , attempting to implement a power savings/or something else routine, right in the driver. :biggrin:

It was just a guess anyway.. Still for a monitor to be doing this sounds pretty weird to me..

I was talking about the drivers for your monitor. So you do use them..

Those were the drivers I was refering to. Yes, it is very weird that a monitor would be doing this. I brought my computer from my place to my folks because they have internet and was going to hook up my pc to their internet connection to download an anti-virus program. When I hooked up my pc to my dad's monitor, he wanted to see the problem for himself. So when I went into WOI, I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited for the program to minimzed to the desktop. It didn't happen. So I downloaded AVG anyways to scan my computer for viruses, non were found. I updated Spybot Search and Destroy to scan for viruses, and still non were found. I've already done several degrags, deleted a whole bunch of programs that I don't use, and the problem kept occuring, untill I hooked up my pc to my dad's monitor. So he and I both figured that there must be some kind of an issue with my monitor. So I went out got my self a brand new 23" Samsung. Haven't hooked it up yet to the computer, but I think I won't be having a problem with it.

Still having issues with this. The new monitor kind of helped, but it's still re-occuring. I think it might be due to over-heating. When I pulled the PC out from where I had it on my desk, it was a very warm, almost hot to the touch. So I think when I run the sim, it puts out a lot of heat, and for some reason it's not getting enough cold air, causing it to minimize to the desktop. Infact it re-booted itself on one occassion after running for quite a while. So I need to find a way to cool the system down. I already have 4 fans in it, all of them exhaust fans. However, the case is kind of compact (14x14x7).

I already have 4 fans in it, all of them exhaust fans. However, the case is kind of compact (14x14x7).

1) Open up your case, take it outside, and carefully blow it out with a leaf-blower. Make sure that you get all the dust bunnies out of the CPU color, GPU color, and the PSU.

2) Try to set up two of the existing fans as intakes

3) Place some foam filtering media (such as one would use for AC filters) over any openings that serve as intakes.

Proper cooling (or lack of same) is one of my pet peeves. At one point, I was so obsessive on the subject that a close friend, upon seeing my system in action, commented "Wow, it's a total flight simming experience. Your PC itself even sounds like a jet engine." :rofl:

What I'm thinking of doing for the time being is have a regular desk fan blow direct air onto the side of the case that has ventillation holes. There's only one exaust fan and its on the back of the computer. The other three are integrated with the power supply, GPU, and on the CPU. Not sure if blowing out the case with a leaf blower is a good idea. The CPU and motherboard is new, so I don't expect there is any dust to be concerned of. I think a major contributor to the problem was 0placing the computer under my desk in a compartment that seemed to be setup specifically for a computer to fit into. Another contributor is that I only use ceiling fans to cool my apartment and not the AC... but that's to conserve money.

The easy quick solution to your over heating problem is to just take off the side panel of your case. Based on your description of the fans in your case, you only have one exhaust case fan. If I remember correctly, you have a GTX280 video card, which are notorious for running hotter than a two dollar pistol! The GPU fan and the CPU cooler fan do nothing to remove heat from the case, they just cool the components they are attached to. All the pre-heated air is just being recirculated inside your case, with a small amount being expelled by the rear case fan and the power supply fan.

A really great utility program that reads all the temperature sensors on the motherboard, cpu and video card is HW Monitor. I think it is available for download at guru3d.com for free under the hardware utilities download section. I'm using version 1.07, but I'm going to check right after I finish typing this to check for a newer version.

Not sure if blowing out the case with a leaf blower is a good idea.

One of my first IT positions found me managing a small team of techs, who were tasked with refurbishing and upgrading Compaq desktops for a major client. We'd receive the systems at our facility by the pallet load. It was SOP in the beginning to blow out the systems before we started working on them, with cans of compressed air. We were going through several cases of compressed air per month, and we were paying insane amounts of money for them. I convinced the powers-that-be to purchase an inexpensive, electric leaf-blower. The leaf blower did a much better job, never sprayed condensation onto the motherboards, CPUs, and PSUs, and cost less than a case of compressed air cans, to boot. It never damaged any systems, and it throughly blew out all dirt and dust in a fraction of the time.

My employers were happy, my team was more productive, and our QC inspector was impressed.

Getting back to your issue. You are better off with positive pressure (more intake fans), then you are with negative pressure (exhaust fans). Negative pressure draws dust and dirt into a system, through every nook and cranny. Positive pressure can be controlled (the intakes can be filtered), and it prevents dust from being drawn in through those same nooks and crannys.

If I were you, I'd get a hole saw, bore a hole through the side panel, and mount a 92 or 120 MM fan, level with the GPU fan.

Also, go to EVGA's site, and download the EVGA Precision tool (it works on all new nVidia cards). The Precision tool will allow you to manually set the GPU's fan speed (among other things).

If I were you, I'd get a hole saw, bore a hole through the side panel, and mount a 92 or 120 MM fan, level with the GPU fan.

Was thinking of doing that. I'm trying to figure out how to hook it up to the power supply because I don't have a lot of connectors left over, and I don't think they would be the right type for a fan.

Also, go to EVGA's site, and download the EVGA Precision tool (it works on all new nVidia cards). The Precision tool will allow you to manually set the GPU's fan speed (among other things).

Got that... came with the video card. Have the fan speed maxed out.

Was thinking of doing that. I'm trying to figure out how to hook it up to the power supply because I don't have a lot of connectors left over, and I don't think they would be the right type for a fan.

You need a Y-splitter (not sure of the name) for the power connectors. :wink:

And Fubar's advices are spot on, the worst enemy of computers is dust. The compressed air does wonders. But remember don't ever use a vacuum cleaner, you must blow not suck. :biggrin:

Edited by pureblue

Well, I tried it again today with a fan blowing on it. I was able to run WOI a lot longer than usual, but it did eventually minimize again. However, this time I opened up Evega Precision to find out exactly how hot the gpu was running and I was horrifide to find that it was at 67 degrees celsius. That puts it at over 152 degrees fehrenheit! So I got some serious problems here. I now have the computer opened up and am blowing direct air onto it. Looks like I am going to look for a case that comes equiped with central air.

67? I've seen 71 with zero issues.

Well, it probably was at 70 ir above before I checked the temperature. It did take a while for me to get into evega precision. All I know is that when it starts to get that hot, things stop working. Like I said in the previous post, it lasted longer with the fan blowing air on to it. I also noticed that it finally cooled down between 55 and 56 degrees C, and that's with the video card fan running at full power.