Sign in to follow this  
Planejunky

Irritating radar on top right of screen

Hi,

How do you get rid of the radar display in the top right hand corner of the screen please?

I've tried the usual method of extracting the HUDDATA.ini from the relevant CAT file, and setting the Height and width to zero, but it's still there!

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.125<-------setting WIDTH= and HEIGHT= to 0 will remove the large Aldiss sight in the upper right.

Height=0.16666667

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

Cheers in advance. :good:

I'd like to know this too. I always play from the cockpit, so I have a radar display in front of my face anyway... I don't need another one in the corner.

I'd like to know this too. I always play from the cockpit, so I have a radar display in front of my face anyway... I don't need another one in the corner.

The presence of that display is determined by the difficulty level chosen. It's not there on hard settings.

''The presence of that display is determined by the difficulty level chosen. It's not there on hard settings''

Options/difficulty/customize/RADAR -> HARD

=)

In flightdata.cat is

EasyAvionicsdata.ini

it will go if you do thus and save the ini in flight folder,you just cross out these 3 lines

[TextureData]

//RadarTextureSize=128

//RadarTexture=easyradar.bmp

//RWRTexture=cockpit\f-4e_rwr.bmp

Edited by russouk2004

Change both width and height to o.oo and it should be the end of it.....I also discovered that in the same file you call use // to remove the red dialogue in the bottom left corner, which find almost as annoying as the 'arcade style' radar thats bothering you :rolleyes:

Now this forces you to read the gauges :good: I usually try to navigate around without the white waypoint triangles...........but I can't fight without the red squares :no:

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.0

Height=0.0

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

[infoDisplay]

BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

//BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985

BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

EnemyTargetColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

FriendlyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0

UnknownTargetColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WaypointColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

TextFile=HUDText.str

NormalColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

WarningColor1=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WarningColor2=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

Edited by romflyer

Put this in your flight folder.

HUDDATA.7z

I prefer ther corner one than the one in the actual cockpit because it is easier to look at. Its not realistic but there is less need to pan the view, which is distracting. Standard cockpit designs in this game has the radar far away from the HUD for some planes... unlike to games like Falcon 4 where you can see the HUD and the whole top part of the cockpit with 2 MFDs. I don't like playing TW games in F2 view as the pipper is too small.

Easy to get a hang of flying other planes because radar location is standard.

Edited by jomni

I've always flown on the "normal" settings. In my haste to type up the topic post, I should mention I'm using SF2E. I've tried all of the above to no avail, except seting the HUD to hard. Like romflyer I still like to have the red target squares (a tad unrealistic, but that's my preference), so setting this to "hard" is not an option.

As I said in my opening post, I'd already tried setting the radar width and height to 0 with no success. This trick worked fine in the original SF series, but somehow the sim over rides this in the SF2 series which is a bit of a mystery to me! :dntknw:

I've tried Russo's EasyAvionicsdata.ini suggestion too, again it had no effect in the sim.

Thanks for the help anyway guys! :good:

I prefer ther corner one than the one in the actual cockpit because it is easier to look at. Its not realistic but there is less need to pan the view, which is distracting. Standard cockpit designs in this game has the radar far away from the HUD for some planes... unlike to games like Falcon 4 where you can see the HUD and the whole top part of the cockpit with 2 MFDs. I don't like playing TW games in F2 view as the pipper is too small.

Easy to get a hang of flying other planes because radar location is standard.

True, but I like things to look as realistic as my meagre abilities allow, and I don't have any issues with looking down when required... its only a quick tap of my hat switch, after all. I'd rather that than the 'arcadey' image floating around in the corner.

As for the 'hard' suggestion, thanks, but that's for later. Being new to the game (and returning to flight sims after a long time away), I'm concentrating on getting my flying up to par first, so I'll deal with the radar later.

Thanks to Romflyer for the text removal tip too. :good:

Edit:

Can someone tell me how I extract files from FlightData.cat in SF2? The extractor throws up an error and closes, though it seems ok for other files.

Edited by Goffik

I added Dave's .ini edit and poof! all text, target boxes and even the word primary is gone when you target anything All flight info must be read from your instruments. ground pounding is still doable BUT A2A is CRAZY!! not knowing if a plane is primary target and in the furball winders are a mess when trying to get Ivan off one of your wingmen :blink: Great job Dave! A2A is VERY stressful now BTW there are no waypoint markers I'm using the map and your target is a very small red dot now lol

Edited by Viper6

All by design. The only reason I keep a red dot is my eyesight is terrible. Been using to that way for a long time.

Hard settings still have the floating radar.

You can also just do Alt+D twice to get rid of the clutter (no modding required).

All by design. The only reason I keep a red dot is my eyesight is terrible. Been using to that way for a long time.

I've been wondering whether or not to try and turn the square into a small dot, you've inspired me :good: I'm on it, that square is about to become.......harder to see :ok:

Cheers

Hard settings still have the floating radar.

You can also just do Alt+D twice to get rid of the clutter (no modding required).

Mine works alot better than Alt+D or I would used that.

Mine works alot better than Alt+D or I would used that.
For sure! For all of you that THINK your good use Dave's Edit and SEE just how stress filled one flight can be lol :biggrin::good:

For sure! For all of you that THINK your good use Dave's Edit and SEE just how stress filled one flight can be lol :biggrin::good:

Maybe I should try this out. :biggrin:

But the distance to target info is an integral part of my dive bombing technique.

But I want to try minimizing the red suqare to a dot at least and keep the rest of the info.

How to do this?

Edited by jomni

Mud moving is a quick instrument check but mostly eyeballing work hopefully there wont be any fighters on your six to mess up your drop solution. But its the A2A that really gets the heart pounding :biggrin::blink: The furball is a nightmare lol

Dave, does your edit also kill the center text box which announces stuff like "MiG-23 targeted" and "sparrow selected"? Works for SF2E?

So far I removed the left and right bottom info boxes, map aircraft icons, the rest is gone on HARD anyway. I'm not sure if killing the center display will work, since I haven't looked yet if all default cockpits have the necessary indicators for weapons, flaps and so on.

Dave, does your edit also kill the center text box which announces stuff like "MiG-23 targeted" and "sparrow selected"? Works for SF2E?

So far I removed the left and right bottom info boxes, map aircraft icons, the rest is gone on HARD anyway. I'm not sure if killing the center display will work, since I haven't looked yet if all default cockpits have the necessary indicators for weapons, flaps and so on.

No it doesn't, I have tried though. Yes this works in all the series.

The Draw back is You have to be The RIO as well as fly the plane which means in a two seater the work load is crazy, Eyes down trying to lock up a target then eyes back up trying to keep ivan off your six then eyes back down to check gauges for us F-4 drivers it can and does get very intense and hectic :blink:

The Draw back is You have to be The RIO as well as fly the plane which means in a two seater the work load is crazy, Eyes down trying to lock up a target then eyes back up trying to keep ivan off your six then eyes back down to check gauges for us F-4 drivers it can and does get very intense and hectic :blink:

That is not a draw back. Not at all. No more point, click, shoot, which means you might actually have to do some work to get a kill. Much more leaning towards immersion and realism than anything else.

If the Radar was as complicated as the real F-4 version, you'd be correct, but since the workload is reduced a lot trough "simplified" avionics and flying is also not as detailed as real life (engine overstress? Radio coms), you are much closer to the workload of an F-15 or f-18 single seater. Even if you switch off the aids.

You can overstress both (engines and airframe) depending on the aircraft.

FC

You can overstress both (engines and airframe) depending on the aircraft.

FC

I have caught my plane on fire a few time being in AB too long.