Sign in to follow this  
HomeBoy

My training video take 2

Still pretty hayseed but a bit better quality than the first one.

I have to tell you that I am really impressed with the OFF flight model with respect to stall and rudder control. The guys got that right. I have tried and tried to perform a proper hammerhead in MSFS (the last three versions anyway) and the ones I'm doing in this video with the Fokker D7F is far and away better than what I can do in the Extra 300 in MSFX. This is not just a fun game, it's darn good simulator as well!

FYI:

I found this video of Gary Rower doing a sweet looking hammerhead in a PT-17 Stearman (at the 1:10 and 2:20 marks). Now that's how the pros do it!

Edited by HomeBoy

Mark,

I hope to see more training vids as time permits. I appreciated this one in particular, as I was having trouble performing this manoeuvre. Perhaps it was my choice of aircraft (the 1 1/2 strutter wasn't known for its aerobatic qualities as far as I know).

Anyway, not achieving much learning with the 1.5 strutter, I have progressed onto the Sopwith Tripe. (What I originally planned was to attempt to go through the entire career [don't we all?] of an RNAS pilot...starting off in the 2 seater 1.5 strutter, going onto Nieuports, then the Pup, Tripe, then Camel. But I thought I'd gain a bit more flying prowess by utilising the slower, brick-like handling qualities of the older craft, and once I could fly those, surely everything else would be "easy"). I really didn't learn much with the strutter. Just straight and level flight on most missions, sticking to my flight leader, though we were forced into combat a few times, we never sought it out. So I "upped the ante" and thought I'd have a bit of fun with the hun in a tripe. (Only using the single gun model at the moment - can you get the dual gun in Campaign, or is that only in QC?).

It was a good idea to display the manoeuvre as a military tactic, showing how you turned quickly and re-established a line of attack on the convoy. If I might make a suggestion to all attempting this manoeuvre just messing about in free flight that you find a long road or rail line etc to "line up" on, and see how far out you are at the completion of your manoeuvre. Just good practice, and makes good sense to me.

I guess that this manoeuvre will be fairly easy with the Tripe. It might be hard to stop her in the climb...damn those tripes just climb for the sun...might be hard convincing her to return to earth. I'll try later this morning when I get home if I get the time.

Oh, and BTW Mark, this was good work. I've seen pilot training vids and training in M$ FSX, and had a flight instructor instruct me in aerobatics (though we didn't do any wingover or hammerheads) and this is exemplary work.

Edited by Check Six

Great vid Homeboy

Keep them coming, they're quite informative

My wingovers seem to be a combination of both the manuevers you demonstarted

I pull up real hard, almost vertical, but don't wait for the stall

Using a little rudder from the beginning but lay on full rudder at the top

Probably a very sloppy wingover but still a fast reversal

I'll give your instructions a try in Free Flight

very good job, homeboy

would like to see more

always enjoying your informative posts :ok:

Really enjoyed that Homeboy, the voiceover was just right, informative at the necessary points but unintrusive.

Steve, you can fly the twin Vickers Tripe in Campaign, but only with Naval 1 or Naval 10... and I've a hunch you'll be flying with Naval 8. :biggrin:

Edited by Dej

Really enjoyed that Homeboy, the voiceover was just right, informative at the necessary points but unintrusive.

Steve, you can fly the twin Vickers Tripe in Campaign, but only with Naval 1 or Naval 10... and I've a hunch you'll be flying with Naval 8. :biggrin:

True that. Whilst many Australians that I researched flew with various RNAS Squadrons, I find that many of my favourite chaps flew in Naval 8. I particularly like seeing Stan Goble's name on screen, but quite unsure how his son would react if I told him I enjoy flying with his dad, so I'll just keep that under my hat for a while. Great to see R A Little, and also your avatar R J O Compston. I think the only time I flew the twin gun type was when I was up for a bit of a jaunt with R P Minifie, Australia's youngest Ace and quite the triplane virtuoso (Naval 1). And R S Dallas. I read that someone was skinning the prototype Tripe "Brown Bread", and Stan had a few hours in that one.

I really do like Mr Sopwith's machines.

Superb video Homeboy - nice job matching commentary with action!